McDojo/McDojang and all other names

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried to offer a definition for a McDojo once before, but someone pointed out a few flaws. So I'll try again here.

How does that sound?

that's actually not a bad way of looking at it. I don't know if I'd agree on the number of either eight, or five to excess, but I think the approach to making the evaluation is good and you've got some good traits listed.

Ultimately I think it's a judgement that the individual makes and I think there is a valid "gut feeling" that you can get about a place, but this provides a pretty reasonable guideline in making the judgement.

TheStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brandon,

From your description of your school, I would find it hard to believe anyone would consider either your school or your friend's school a McDojo.

It sounds like you charge a fair price for your time and effort. The simple reality is everything in life costs. Charging a fair price is expected, and if you are sharing your experience with others you should be rewarded appropriately.

I hope your school prospers and your results (the students) put to rest any question of what your school is.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brandon,

From your description of your school, I would find it hard to believe anyone would consider either your school or your friend's school a McDojo.

It sounds like you charge a fair price for your time and effort. The simple reality is everything in life costs. Charging a fair price is expected, and if you are sharing your experience with others you should be rewarded appropriately.

I hope your school prospers and your results (the students) put to rest any question of what your school is.
I appreciate that very much. Its not so much my school or her school as we both know what we do and are proud of it. Plus I am now proud to say she is my kobudo sensei now. Stereotyping that gets me worked up.

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First, I never liked the term McDojo. Many have said it applies to schools that are different, but first and foremost, I think it's meant to be derogatory. If someone calls a school a McDojo, they're not saying it's different; they're saying it's... a bad place. That what is taught is worthless, or at least vastly overpriced.

Second, what's wrong with a McDojo anyway. Who's to say that what is taught there doesn't have value or isn't worth the cost? The students or their parents must think it's worth it. I've talked to people who train at what many would consider McDojos, and they've been very happy with what they got out of it, whether martial skill, discipline, comradery or whatever.

But, then again, what do I know? I love Filet-O-Fish.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I perfer a Jack-N-DaDojang myself.
icon10.gif
Some will get it some won't.

Latest Discussions