Wondering If I'm Doing Too Much

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So in this lull between graduating college, and trying to find a job in this wonderful market of opportunity :drinky: I've decided to attend a BJJ gym as well as a Muay Thai gym.

My typical Mon-Fri consists of:
BJJ 9:30am-11:00am
Muay Thai 2:00pm-3:00pm
BJJ 7:30pm-8:30pm.
In between I try and practice on my heavy bag, work out, or go for a 2-3mile jog.

Honestly if I'm not practicing, or at the gym at those times, I get a bit stir crazy.

Do you all think this is normal for beginners (the stir craziness and full schedule) or do you think my body going to start breaking down soon, and I should let up?

OP
K

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I should have probably posted this in the Beginners Corner. Sorry!

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn`t worry about over training if that`s what you mean. It`s normal for young guys to be enthusiastic, especially when they`re still new. Hey, you`ve found something interesting and healthy to do. Great! It`s also a great way to make friends and meet new people.

However, I am suprised that you don`t leave more room in that schedule for job hunting. Are you working now and just looking for something else?

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that you're fine with this amount of training. Enjoy being able to devote this much time and energy to your arts. Life, work, and families will compete soon enough for the limited space in your schedule. Take advantage of this opportunity while it presents itself as long as you don't train to injury, you'll be fine.
Mark

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just think you need to listen to your body and heed your in built warning systems.

If after a while you are constanty feeling tired. The aches don't go away or your getting niggling injuries, then it's time to take your foot off the gas.

At the end of the day, don't ignore the warnings.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If you were my age I would say yes. If you are just out of college I would say possibly no.

As previously mentioned listen to your body. Wwhen it tells you when to take a break, take a break.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just saw that I was at post number 666:erg:....So no. OK I feel better now that it says 667
icon10.gif

OP
K

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice! :partyon:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Nope...that is good you are exciting about working out and training..

One day you will realize compare to many others? ....you are doing very little?

Aloha, ...for us ..not sure if we can keep up with you!

PS: There are always people who will train harder..

Masahiko Kimura ( da "kimura" name after him) ...use to do over 1000 push-up everyday and train up to 9 hours daily in Judo..(read about him). refer to as the "Judo God." ...and watch the video of him fighting Helio grace...and you will see who was better....

Want to be good...just copy successful Martial Artist..

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey if you can swing it, more power to you. Once you get a family and a fulltime job…well you can guess what happens.

As for the training itself? Make sure you’re eatting enough and sleeping enough and you should be fine with what you’re doing. Like everyone else said, listen to your body.

Latest Discussions