Master Wong - Legit?

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
This guy in the video is Master Wong. Apparently UK based, he's supposed to be a Wing Chun and JKD expert and has a significant Youtube following crowd. The thing is, I can't find any info on him. No wikipedia profile or any profile of any kind that I saw.

Is he a respected authority on Wing Chun? Does anyone here know him?

Last edited by a moderator:

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Wong is fun to watch, and if given the opportunity, I think he could single-handedly bring back Kung Fu Theater to mainstream television :)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

The size of your following doesnt mean very much.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What he does is not even close. It might look kind of like Wing Chun on the surface, but that's about as deep as the resemblance goes. Basically, it's his own system consisting of what he thinks Wing Chun should be, without ever having learned Wing Chun himself.

There's "different" and then there's just "bad." Master Wrong falls into the second category.

If you would really like to get an idea of what Wing Chun is about, Jin Young (chinaboxer) has some excellent material on youtube that you can check out.

Also, if you want to see the real "Master Wong", you can type in "Wong Shun Leung." You'll learn a lot more from listening to him teach in Cantonese than you will from Master Wrong in funny English -- though, he might not be quite as entertaining.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Simply compare what is shown to other material of individuals such as Wong Shun Leung, Tsui Shong Tin,William Cheung, Ip Chun, Ip Ching etc etc etc It's pretty easy to make your mind up after that.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The weirdest thing ... that video, here and on YouTube, will only play if I wiggle the scroll wheel on my mouse up and down, keeping the window moving. I haven't seen this with any other video.

Weird.

But yes, the video is fun to watch. Such enthusiasm!

(edit: oh sure. Now it works fine.)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The thing is, I can't find any info on him. No wikipedia profile or any profile of any kind that I saw.

I won't speak to his legitimacy or not. But I would definitely NOT use a Wikipedia entry, or lack thereof, as ANY basis on which to make a judgement.

Just because you can find it on the internet doesn't mean it's any good.

Just because you cannot find it on the internet doesn't mean it's no good.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always raise an eyebrow when anyone gives themself the title of master.............

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sooooo Do we have any challengers to spar with Master Wong??? lol

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This guy in the video is Master Wong. Apparently UK based, he's supposed to be a Wing Chun and JKD expert and has a significant Youtube following crowd. The thing is, I can't find any info on him. No wikipedia profile or any profile of any kind that I saw.

Is he a respected authority on Wing Chun? Does anyone here know him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking athletic and copying some motions does not make it wing chun. Sorry!!

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
when ever I need a laugh Master Wong is as funny as a stand up comedian. He should be in show business. He could be the next Rock of Wing Chun

Wingsingh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can tell you first hand master Wong is the real deal.

What does it matter if he doesn't tell people who taught him? Some people seem to earn a living by telling people who taught them.

I think Master Wong deserves more respect.

I'd like to know why people think his Wing Chun isn't correct?

BTW, Master Wong had a free training session in the park this last Saturday. He stayed for over 2 and a half hours, answering questions and teaching and giving out free dvd's and t-shirts.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I am not so fast to rush to judgement on master wong. I believe he has pure wing chun vids as well as vids seemingly mixing wing chun with other "stuff". He seems like a cool guy. I certainly for one, would not want to fight him. There needs to be evidence where he violates wing chun's principles when performing his wing chun if we are to truly gauge this guy.

Latest Discussions