Master Sang Nam

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering if any MT member out there, particularly in California, might know a Master Sang Nam, one of the best old school Taekwondo teachers I've ever met. I was his student for only nine months in 1991 in a south Chicago surburb, before he moved to Florida. I've been told by someone that he is somewhere in California, but extensive searches I've done have borne no fruit.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am wondering if any MT member out there, particularly in California, might know a Master Sang Nam, one of the best old school Taekwondo teachers I've ever met. I was his student for only nine months in 1991 in a south Chicago surburb, before he moved to Florida. I've been told by someone that he is somewhere in California, but extensive searches I've done have borne no fruit.

I am not sure who this person is but can't help but wonder about the name. Nam Tae Hi was on the North Side of Chicago. He, or a relative may have had other branches such as one on the south side, "Old School" would not really begin to describe him.

He did relocate to California about 6 years ago. He would be about 85 now. About 5'7' and squarely built. Does that sound like it could be him?

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure who this person is but can't help but wonder about the name. Nam Tae Hi was on the North Side of Chicago. ?

Thanks a lot. This could be a relative of his because I am not sure Sang Nam was that old. I'd describe him as a small dynamo, with a kiap that rattles roofs and clean lightning movement. Seeing Master Ahn Jae-yoon perform and teach poomsae at the Kukkiwon seminar in Chicago in October reminded me of Sang Nam.

I'd say Sang Nam would be more like in his 60s now, but maybe I was wrong about his age. When he taught me, he was running a school for my Kwanjangnim Duk Gun Kwon, in Country Club Hills, Ill. I was a sophomore in college and had only been in the U.S for two years.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kwanjangnim Duk Gun Kwon, in Country Club Hills, Ill. I was a sophomore in college and had only been in the U.S for two years.

had to be a different guy. Would suggest you contact USNTF . That is Duk Gun Kwons org, i believe.

GM Nam Tae Hi is Senior to Duk Gub=n Kwon, so he would not be teaching for him.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mater Weiss:

Thanks a lot. Grandmaster Kwon is still my kwanjangnim and I'm a member of USNTF, but Grandmaster Kwon has lost track of Sang Nam. I think I've found one of Sang Nam's former students in the Chicago area who might know his whereabouts.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He ran a school in San Diego for a while. I heard that he shut down and left 50 student's with nowhere to train

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised. He was not a very good businessman. Any idea where he might have gone after San Diego?

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I really just want to find out what happened to this master, who I thought was really good, almost too good to really make any money in most towns in this country. I was not as experienced as I am now when he taught me, but I thought he was very close to if not the real deal.

Latest Discussions