Mass Slaughter in our schools

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow.
I think honestly if they did attack the schools, it would be WW3.

I dunno. The "righteous anger" over 9/11 spiked quickly then seemed to decline. Perhaps they plan to weather the initial response for the "greater good". Hell, I bet that a few posters here would rationalize something like this as "our fault" and that they were only responding to children killed in Iraq/Palestine etc. etc. etc.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It happened in Beslan. I think this would be a big mistake - "suicide by cop" on the largest possible scale. Although, IMO, that would depend on who was in charge when/if they pulled it off.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as we dont wiretap any people who may be suspected of planning something like this eh?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Leverich
Wow.
I think honestly if they did attack the schools, it would be WW3.

I dunno. The "righteous anger" over 9/11 spiked quickly then seemed to decline. Perhaps they plan to weather the initial response for the "greater good". Hell, I bet that a few posters here would rationalize something like this as "our fault" and that they were only responding to children killed in Iraq/Palestine etc. etc. etc.

When 9/11 hit, I was one of the people Blotan Hunka mentioned. A lot of the unrest and anti-American seniment in the Middle East is our fault.
That being said, there is 9/11, there is war, and then there is the deliberate targeting of our children.
My emotional response: An attack like this should be delt with with no tollerance whatsoever. I would even go as far as to say that if there was ever a time to use our weapons of mass destruction, that would be the time. Let them know that ALL Al-Qaeda headquarters the world over will be reduced to rubble, even if it means leveling a city. To quote popular culture: "Fear will keep them in line."
Unfortunately, as Dave pointed out, my emotional response would be the birth cry of WW3.
As sadening as this potential threat is, in the end, all we can do is be as prepaired as possible.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In association with this, wht do you think about THIS.http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3493398
Troops training for and fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are firing more than 1 billion bullets a year, contributing to ammunition shortages hitting police departments nationwide and preventing some officers from training with the weapons they carry on patrol.
I think the feds should be dropping off rifles at ammo at every stationhouse door.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My apologies but as an aside, you seem to be a bit hung up on this 'living in fear' concept, Blotan - I hope it's not been triggered by what I said the other night in the "Eejut Student at an Airport" thread?

I'm sure not, as you strike me as the sort of chap who'd tell me straight off the bat if I'd annoyed you thus?

What I was talking about there was how we, in Britiain, as a society put up with what seemed like weekly bombings of pubs, post offices, litter bins, cars etc. If you change the way you live, then, no matter how you dress it up, it's a victory for the terrorists.

However, planning for how you'd cope with something like the actions described in the attached article above is another thing entirely. Contingency plans exist for everything conceivable - that's why they're titled as such - and it's only wise to pre-think what could go wrong so you have a better stab of dealing with it if it does.

As to the 'wire-tapping' remark, if it was done legally and with just cause, why would anyone sensible object to that?

Then again, in the States these days, if the InterWebs are to be believed, you can be wire-tapped for wearing a loud shirt, in a built up area, after the hours of darkness :lol:.

There's reasonable precaution and there's over-reaction and picking between the two is tricky. It will vary from country to country or even person to person.

For example, to show how I think on the matter, not long after the bombings on the London Underground, I had cause to have to use it whilst travelling for work. I have to admit I was a bit trepedatious and gave the carriage floor a good hard stare whilst wondering "What if ... ?". Despite that fear, would I have welcomed armed coppers at each turnstile stopping and frisking everyone who looked a bit 'out of the ordinary'?

Certainly not.

Particularly as that would've probably included me, as I was carrying a laden rucksack, a briefcase and a laptop, was wearing a suit but have very long hair and had a screwdriver sticking out of my beast-pocket :eek:!

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No..no...I dont even recall your post on the other thread. And I would tell you (via PM at least) if I took issue with something you said. Here though one must be careful not to "snipe" you know ;).

My "issue" with the "living in fear" thing is the impression I get that some people throw that at you every time you agree with some political/security issue that they dont. I agree with the Patriot Act so Im "living in fear". If you understand my meaning.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get you, my friend :tup:.

Glad to be sure I hadn't trampled on your toes all unknowing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blotan could could clarify please if you mean Belsen as in concentration camp or Beslan as in the school? Ta.

Kodiak61

White Belt
Reaction score
As Americans we need to try and understand the mindset of the terrorist. As a retired US Air Force Security Forces NCO we were trained as to the goals and objectives of the terrorist. Goal #1 is to induce fear. Objective #1 the population will do anything to relive the fear. Goal #2 replaces existing government structure with one of the terrorists choosing. Objective #2 though fear, the terrorist attempt to show the government as weak, ineffective, and unconcerned with the welfare of the people. The terrorist hope is the population will rise up and remove the government in favor of the terrorist’s choice. Attacking children would go a long way toward the goals and objectives listed above. The terrorists are unconcerned as to provoking the US, after all ABC, NBC, CBS, and CNN will do all their propaganda work from them and liberals do not have the stomach for the hard work of defending at home or abroad. We are NOT responsible for the attack of September 11th anymore than America was responsible for the attack on Peal Harbor. Terrorists are bullies and cowards…period.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Belsan...my traitorous fingers. But that would be obvious by the topic here wouldnt it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belsan...my traitorous fingers. But that would be obvious by the topic here wouldnt it?

I only read the OP as I didn't want to read anymore if it was about Belsen. Am child of concentration camp survivor so wouldn't want to partake in discussion on it.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFL (at myself) - it's not a laughing matter but I took the reference to be to Belsen as an example of horrendous slaughter of the helpless.

To my very small credit, I couldn't quite see where Blotan was going with the association but as I only skip-read the article I reckoned I'd missed something :blush:.

Oh what tangled webs we can weave with the Net :D.

EDIT: Brief Thread 'bend'. There was a program on TV about Auschwitz last night (thankfully an 'escape story') but I was shocked to learn that my missus has never seen either the films or photographs of the horrors that were revealed at the uncovering of the Final Solution. If that ignorance (in the non-perjorative sense of 'not knowing') is becoming typical, no wonder we're seeing a rise of extreme right-wing politics and attitudes - people are forgetting how those events got to happen.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's talking about Beslan, Russia. Here's a video montage of the event. Warning, there are some graphic and disturbing images in the video. Osama Bin Laden stated after this event that "What has been visited upon Russia shall be visited 100 times on America." The surest way to enflame the radical jihadist and even many that are on the fence regarding "The Great Satan" would be to pull this type of attack here on U.S. soil in hopes that we, as Americans, would react with such anger that we would burn mosques and indescriminantly kill muslims simply for being muslims. "See!" they could yell, "See what we are fighting?! Rise up with us in jihad and destroy the infidels!" Would we react in the way that they would expect? I fear, way down deep inside, that if our children were attacked that many of us would.

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for a while.

As Kodiak61 pointed out in his excellent post, the aftermath of an American Beslan would be just what the terrorists want. They may try to distance themselves from taking responsibility, but they would love striking fear in the hearts of Americans.

And think about how easy it would be. Two kids armed with standard firearms at a high school in Colorado stacked up a lot of dead kids. What if the same number of people that pulled off some of the bombings in the UK, or the guys who wanted to attack JFK airport, or the same number of guys who wanted to attack FT Dix did the same thing? The numbers would be larger I think. And what if instead of a high school, they all hit elementary schools? How would Americans feel then?

And if they could get three or so teams to hit on the same day, America would be really hit hard.

This is the type of thing the terrorists want. It does not matter to them that America would go ape and probably nuke every inch of the area of Pakistan that Osama Bin Laden is hiding out in. They think that America does not have the guts to go for the long haul and they can wear Americans down to ultimate victory. And there is some reasons to understand why they think that way.

I think that local police departments should go through their training drills at local schools when school is closed. They get the skills they need to keep fresh and at the same time get used to the layout of their schools. I think that police policies should be revampled to give the police on the scene the option of going in if they think a slauther is going on instead of waiting for the SWAT team or permission from above.

And I think we need to think about this in a calm, logical manner before it could happen instead of tut tutting it now and going beserk afterwards.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen Mr.E.

If anybody out there has children in school and your police dept doesnt train to respond to active shooters and/or the school doesnt have a proceedure in place, do whatever you can to make it happen.

OP
Blotan Hunka

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They think that America does not have the guts to go for the long haul and they can wear Americans down to ultimate victory. And there is some reasons to understand why they think that way.

I believe that many of the biggest critics of the gvt. and our foriegn policy are using their righetousness and ideals as camoflauge for plain old fear. They would like to go back to pre WWII isolationism and let the world go to **** until we are forced to do something. Do they think anybody out there ISNT concened for their safety, their childrens safety and wouldnt prefer to live in peace? Sometimes the tree of freedom does require the blood of patriots, but for some it appears that they prefer it be anybody elses blood but theirs.

Latest Discussions