Mass Attacks

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I generally do not enjoy katas. Once I have learned the entire thing I do learn to appreciate it some - and I see the value of kata - but in general, I do not like katas.

I started learning mass attacks last night, and I got to the right inverted chop, left chop, right palm to the groin.

I LOVE THIS KATA.

that is all.

:rofl:

Seriously though. Why did this kata not suck, and why is it so much easier to learn than the long and shorts 1-3? I practiced it like 7 times before I went to sleep - and I never practice kata! (I know, I'm going to karate hell for that if I don't soon change my ways).

I like this kata.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

Alot of folks on this board won't know this form as it is particular to the Tracy's system. My understanding is that it was originally designed as a tournament form, and was supposed to showcase some of the differences between kenpo and the more traditional styles out there. It also isn't really designed (IMO) as an educational vehicle so that may be why you find it fun to do.

Lamont

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is what I have been told about Mass Attacks from Ted Sumner. In the early 1960s, Ed Parker gave the Tracy brothers, along with several other of his black belts, permission to create a form for use in open competition. The black belts created Mass Attacks, and Ed Parker approved of it as an "unauthorized" Kenpo form that could be used for competition. Ed Parker also gave permission for any participant to alter or stylize the form to suit themselves for the tournament. Subsequently, the form had become a requirement in the Tracy system, but not in American Kenpo.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DutchKenpo said:
Hello,

Is there a written piece on the mass attack form?
sounds interresting or maybe even a video?

grtz, Bob Hessel

Not that I am aware of, but the form is made up of about 15 or so techniques taken from the green belt curriculum that Tracy's uses. All the techniques are designed for use in scenarios against 2 or more attackers at once.

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
From kenpousa.com

MASS ATTACK

Begin with the Advanced Chinese Salutation. Step to the right horse stance as the arms circle out and overhead forming a triangle with the fingertips and thumbs. Bring the hands together in a prayer position in front of your chest. Immediately change this hand position into the Weapon Shield hand position. Slap the inner thighs with the back of the hands, slide the left foot to the right neutral stance, knees bent. Circle arms up overhead and down with the fingertips together, palms facing down. Right foot circles drawing an arc on the floor, same with the left as you end up in a horse stance. Right foot slides to the left to a neutral stance as the arms clear out and chamber.

Flowing Hands - Step to the right front corner to a 45 degree angle horse stance, throw a right chop to the corner as your left hand covers the face. Do a left dancer step behind the right to the right front corner as you do a right four finger eye rake to the left rear corner. Pivot to a horse stance as you do a left palm to the opponent's body. Cat the right foot to the left, as you do a right smother block. Throw a right front snap kick to 9:00 followed by right chicken snap kick (First kick to 9:00, last kick to 6:00). Set into a horse stance to the rear.

Whirling Blades - Do a left inward block to the rear and a right extended outward block to the front. Cross the right foot over the left to the right rear corner as you do a right four knuckle rake to the face. Pivot to a hard bow facing the front as your left hand does a chop to the ribs to 9:00.

Arching Blades - Do a right inward block to the opponent's right punch at the same time as you do a right snap kick to the groin. Set forward right foot to a soft bow, drive a right and left chop to the right side of the opponent's shoulder and neck. Pivot to a horse stance as you drive a right vertical elbow to the jaw and the left hand covers the ribs, follow up with a right tiger claw to the eyes.

Thrusting Limb - Position your hands in front of your chest as you do a right snap kick to 9:00. The opponent grabs the kick. Drive a right thrust kick into the stomach to drive the opponent away and to release the grab. Set to 9:00 into a horse stance facing the rear. Do double outward blocks followed by double backfists. Chamber the hands on the right hip. Throw a right snap kick and a right "L" punch to the right side simultaneously. Set to 3:00 into a horse stance facing the front. Do double outward blocks followed by double backfists.

Swinging Gate - Turn hard bow to the left as you throw a right reverse punch then a left chop. Drive a right palm into the body as the left pins the opponent's hands to the shirt. Step back left foot to 3:00 into a horse stance as you drive a right upward break under the elbows. Do a left dancer behind the right to 12:00 as you throw a right backfist to the solar plexus. Cat the right foot to the left as you do a right smother block down against the right hip. Throw a right front snap kick to 3:00 and a right inverted chop to 6:00 at the same time.

Attack From The Temple - Set to 3:00 into a horse stance as you do a right vertical elbow, step left around to 6:00 into a horse stance as you do a right hammerfist to the groin.

Sweeping Branches - Step back right foot to a hard bow, do double wrap around to the opponent's arms. Step up right foot to a hard bow as you do double inverted punches to break the arms. Do double backfists to the ankles and then grab the ankles and sweep backward. Lift your right knee up to a crane stance as you pull the opponent's heads into your right knee. Sweep the hands down and around as you set back with the right foot into a horse stance to 3:00. Drop double palms down to protect the groin (the right hand is in front and the left behind the body).

Knee Sweep - Step up right foot to a horse stance. Do a right counter grab to the opponent on the right side as you cross the left foot over the right. Pull the opponent into right side kick to the ribs. Immediately cross your right foot over the left into a deep twist position. Do a left knee sweep under the opponent's right knee followed by a left side kick to his left leg. Set into a horse stance facing the front.

Kung Fu Wrist - Do a right counter grab to the opponent on the right side. Do a right dancer step behind the left and then pull the opponent into a right snap kick to the ribs. Pivot your body around 180 degrees to 9:00 into a horse stance. Drive a right smother block down against the forearms.

Stone Warrior - Cross the left foot over the right and turn to a horse facing the front. Do double outward blocks then double backfists. Turn hard bow to the left as the left tiger claw strikes the left opponent's eyes and the right tiger claw strikes the right opponent's groin. Turn hard bow to the right as the right tiger claw strikes the right opponent's eyes and the left tiger claw strikes the left opponent's groin.

Slide left foot to the right into a neutral stance as the arms X out. Bow out using the Advanced Chinese Salutation.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That doesn't look like a lot as far as a form goes. Is this done both sides?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
That doesn't look like a lot as far as a form goes. Is this done both sides?

Mass Attack is short -- not much longer than Short 3. As a matter of fact, it is a perfect complement to Short 3. I regularly combined Short 3 with Mass Attack in competition. Simply go from the last technique in Short 3 to the first technique in Mass Attack. It makes a kata that is much more interesting than Long 3. I even did this combination with 4 attackers in the Self-Defense Technique Division at the Long Beach Internationals once...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well that sounds kinda cool. It probably would work better in my mind if I knew the other form.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
Let me start off by saying that I generally do not enjoy katas. Once I have learned the entire thing I do learn to appreciate it some - and I see the value of kata - but in general, I do not like katas.

I started learning mass attacks last night, and I got to the right inverted chop, left chop, right palm to the groin.

I LOVE THIS KATA.

that is all.

:rofl:

Seriously though. Why did this kata not suck, and why is it so much easier to learn than the long and shorts 1-3? I practiced it like 7 times before I went to sleep - and I never practice kata! (I know, I'm going to karate hell for that if I don't soon change my ways).

I like this kata.

I take this to mean you got your blue belt (it's a green belt form, IIRC)? Congratulations!

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
ah, you are what I like to call

"too smart for your own damn good,"

(not that I've heard that phrase very often, or anything.)

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm with ya, can't sytand forms/katas either.
I learn and practice them strictly for curriculum requirements only. Would much rather work with a partner on the three stooges techniques.
Of course, for vacations or when no training partner is available this is one of those scenario's where forms come in very handy to get a martial workout for those times. I especially like weapon forms/katas for this scenario and I also like to use my weighted weapons for that extra workout as well as the occasional hernia.

K

KenpoDusty

I dont particularly like to do katas either, but when you dont have a partner to practice on/with, then 'air karate' becomes a good alternative. I mainly use katas to really solidify my stances and nail the basics.

Keep smiling
Dusty

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
you can get a copy of the form from the tracy website. mass attack is a really fun form, very different from the other traditional kenpo katas.

if you live in colorado, new mexico, arizona or west texas, the AKKA kenpo organization has a lot of similar katas in their green and brown belt requirements. these in addition to the more common long 1-8 and short 1-3.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the second to the last technique is Twisted Staves off a two man wrist grabs. I always liked this kata. Thanks for bringing it up.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
stickarts.com said:
I believe the second to the last technique is Twisted Staves off a two man wrist grabs. I always liked this kata. Thanks for bringing it up.

No, I beleive he is correct, its Kung Fu Wrist. (At least that's how I learned it).

brian Jones

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian Jones said:
No, I beleive he is correct, its Kung Fu Wrist. (At least that's how I learned it).

brian Jones

SHE! SHE SHE SHE!

I am definitely a girl.

Latest Discussions