Breakdown Of The SKK Katas

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Applicable to all katas (forms), I teach my students, that once they get to a certain level, to make the kata (form) thier own. What do I mean? Know what you are doing, know the bunkai, know how many opponents you are facing and set the pace as if you were really fighting through it. Also, lead with the eyes. This means, know when you are changing opponents and lead with your eyes. You need to see them first, then react and move. In other words, know it, see it, do it and others will see it. After all, other than a good workout and a solo practice session, forms are basically a performance ... put on a good show (tournament mentality).

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bunkai for pinan #4, after the second head wrap, elbow strike to the face. Turn 135 degrees ccw, droplow, almost onto the right knee. Block #6 to clear and apply ridgehand strike to the groin. Here comes a double lapel grab. First scenario; opponent reaches with both hands to grab, you clear with basically open hand #1 and #2 blocks, grab his wrists and pull him into a front ball kick, driving him back then follow in with a twist stance, left behind right and applying a backfist to the nose to finish him. Second scenario; opponent reaches with both hands to grab, you clear with basically open hand #1 and #2 blocks, you grab his lapels with both hands, pull him into a right rising knee to the solar plexus, driving him back as you follow up with a right front kick, yes, same leg, driving him further back, then follow in with a twist stance, left behind right and applying a backfist to the nose to finish him.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bunkai for pinan #4, after the second head wrap, elbow strike to the face. Turn 135 degrees ccw, droplow, almost onto the right knee. Block #6 to clear and apply ridgehand strike to the groin. Here comes a double lapel grab. First scenario; opponent reaches with both hands to grab, you clear with basically open hand #1 and #2 blocks, grab his wrists and pull him into a front ball kick, driving him back then follow in with a twist stance, left behind right and applying a backfist to the nose to finish him. Second scenario; opponent reaches with both hands to grab, you clear with basically open hand #1 and #2 blocks, you grab his lapels with both hands, pull him into a right rising knee to the solar plexus, driving him back as you follow up with a right front kick, yes, same leg, driving him further back, then follow in with a twist stance, left behind right and applying a backfist to the nose to finish him.

We do this just slightly different

the second elbow strike is to an attacker at my 3, the next attacker (upward block ridgehand) is at 1030 so I think that is the 135 degrees you describe.

My interpretaion on this is that after the upward block/strike I grab his head (think Thai-stye clinch) pulling him into the knee to the body. Once the knee makes contact that triggers an instep kick to the lower centerline or groin (it's sortof the equivalent of the 'elbow to the solarplexus, rolling hammer ot the groin', but with your leg). (For some reason we call that a "mantis kick" but for all I know that is a name one of the kids made up LOL).

After the kick we land in rt half moon to 1030, then we do a 'rolling trap' which I think is what you mean by 'you clear with basically open hand #1 and #2 blocks', clearing the hands, but we have no kick here or wrist grab, instead we go directly from the clearing to the twist w/ back fist.

Strictly speaking this "finishes" that attacker but when we are using multiple live attackers to practice these applications, I find it useful to follow thorugh out of the twist sance with a rt side kick, it _really_ finishes him and gives me an extra couple of feet to deal with the next guy coming from 4:30.
The next attacker is at 4:30... but when

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do this just slightly different

the second elbow strike is to an attacker at my 3, the next attacker (upward block ridgehand) is at 1030 so I think that is the 135 degrees you describe.

My interpretaion on this is that after the upward block/strike I grab his head (think Thai-stye clinch) pulling him into the knee to the body. Once the knee makes contact that triggers an instep kick to the lower centerline or groin (it's sortof the equivalent of the 'elbow to the solarplexus, rolling hammer ot the groin', but with your leg). (For some reason we call that a "mantis kick" but for all I know that is a name one of the kids made up LOL).

After the kick we land in rt half moon to 1030, then we do a 'rolling trap' which I think is what you mean by 'you clear with basically open hand #1 and #2 blocks', clearing the hands, but we have no kick here or wrist grab, instead we go directly from the clearing to the twist w/ back fist.

Strictly speaking this "finishes" that attacker but when we are using multiple live attackers to practice these applications, I find it useful to follow thorugh out of the twist sance with a rt side kick, it _really_ finishes him and gives me an extra couple of feet to deal with the next guy coming from 4:30.
The next attacker is at 4:30... but when

This is essentially the bunkai I learned, too, but 14 Kempo has some interesting options, as well. I like your 'added' instep kick and extra side kick to clear the 10:30 man. Those options are available in the form I learned, but never saw those applications.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do this just slightly different the second elbow strike is to an attacker at my 3, the next attacker (upward block ridgehand) is at 1030 so I think that is the 135 degrees you describe.

Yes, that's it, 0300 to 1030 ... for some reason I like to use degrees, not sure why that is ... LOL ... I like the head grab you have, Muay Tai clinch, much better than the lapel grab ... thanks!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, that's it, 0300 to 1030 ... for some reason I like to use degrees, not sure why that is ... LOL ... I like the head grab you have, Muay Tai clinch, much better than the lapel grab ... thanks!

the movements are very similar, but once you've actually clinched and knee'd someone successfully like that ...ooooo yeah... let's just say it's very "practical" :D

the groin shot 'helps' them present their head for the clinch, left arm is up and ready following the "upward block"

regarding 3 vs 1030... the way we would describe it, the attackers are 135 degrees apart, but we don't really call that 135 degree turn since our stance is facing 12 while we deal with the attacker at 3. I guess it is just as viable to say that while doing the backfist/elbow we are really in a side horse facing 3 :) so moving to a cat facing 1030 IS techncially a 135 degree turn... hmmm, as I wrote this paragraph I think I decided to change my mind and label this as the side horse and 135 degree turn :D

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the movements are very similar, but once you've actually clinched and knee'd someone successfully like that ...ooooo yeah... let's just say it's very "practical" :D

the groin shot 'helps' them present their head for the clinch, left arm is up and ready following the "upward block"

regarding 3 vs 1030... the way we would describe it, the attackers are 135 degrees apart, but we don't really call that 135 degree turn since our stance is facing 12 while we deal with the attacker at 3. I guess it is just as viable to say that while doing the backfist/elbow we are really in a side horse facing 3 :) so moving to a cat facing 1030 IS techncially a 135 degree turn... hmmm, as I wrote this paragraph I think I decided to change my mind and label this as the side horse and 135 degree turn :D

Yes, it is sounding like there may be a slight diference here, we pivot in, squaring our hips on the elbow strike. This brings it in hard and straight to the face, a definate knockout blow. So, we are facing 0300 when the elbow hits. After the elbow, as we turn to 1030, we dip down under the oncoming strike deploying a #6 upward, openhand block and a right ridgehane hits the groin. Then we clear and strike with the knee. Not sure if it is too different, might just be how I'm writing it. But we definately turn from 0300 - 1030, which is 135 degrees.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know the pinans are taken mostly from Shotokan Heians ...

Pinan #1 : Heian Shodan
Pinan #2 : Heian Nidan
Pinan #3 : Heian Sandan
Pinan #4 : Heian Yondan
Pinan #5 : Heian Godan

... obviously these forms have been altered a whole lot throughout the years. I've even heard that Nick Cerio developed pinan #2, but it looks as if it could certainly have come from Shotokan's Heian Nidan (modified of course).

At USSD these forms resemble the five animals as listed below ...

Pinan #1 : Tiger
Pinan #2 : Dragon
Pinan #3 : Crane
Pinan #4 : Leopard
Pinan #5 : Snake

... granted these forms contain movements from other animals as well, but for the most part this is how USSD labels them. They can be done with various influences.

Question:
Is it USSD that modified these forms, or do other SKK styles do the same, the forms as having the basic influences of the five animals?

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the pinans are taken mostly from Shotokan Heians ...

Pinan #1 : Heian Shodan
Pinan #2 : Heian Nidan
Pinan #3 : Heian Sandan
Pinan #4 : Heian Yondan
Pinan #5 : Heian Godan

... obviously these forms have been altered a whole lot throughout the years. I've even heard that Nick Cerio developed pinan #2, but it looks as if it could certainly have come from Shotokan's Heian Nidan (modified of course).

At USSD these forms resemble the five animals as listed below ...

Pinan #1 : Tiger
Pinan #2 : Dragon
Pinan #3 : Crane
Pinan #4 : Leopard
Pinan #5 : Snake

... granted these forms contain movements from other animals as well, but for the most part this is how USSD labels them. They can be done with various influences.

Question:
Is it USSD that modified these forms, or do other SKK styles do the same, the forms as having the basic influences of the five animals?

Im going to have to say you are really reaching if you think 2 pinan looks like Heian Nidan. This is the only Heian thats is required for rank at my school and i do not feel it resembles Prof. cerio's at all. I never heard of the animal influences in the pinans until the USSD people spoke of them. How are they explained to express the animals? I could guess -- 1 for tiger -- moving forwards on the attack. 2 - dragon - up and down motion -- 3 for crane - cranes wing blocks -- 4 for leopard - the cat walk at the end - 5 for snake -- extended stances??? before this i have never really given it much thought.
Jesse

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im going to have to say you are really reaching if you think 2 pinan looks like Heian Nidan. This is the only Heian thats is required for rank at my school and i do not feel it resembles Prof. cerio's at all. I never heard of the animal influences in the pinans until the USSD people spoke of them. How are they explained to express the animals? I could guess -- 1 for tiger -- moving forwards on the attack. 2 - dragon - up and down motion -- 3 for crane - cranes wing blocks -- 4 for leopard - the cat walk at the end - 5 for snake -- extended stances??? before this i have never really given it much thought.
Jesse

Yeah, I know it's a reach, but the basic pattern is there. Anyway, yes, the explanations are as follows, along with others that I'm missing, Im sure ...

Pinan#1: Tiger
- Always pressing forward
- Powerful blocks and strikes
Pinan#2: Dragon
- Rising and falling
- Whiping motions.
Pinan#3: Crane
- Fluid/graceful motion
- Extended strikes
Pinan#4: Leopard
- Striking from a distance
- Stalking