Martial Talk Project - Tae Kwon Do Needs Help!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the entry for Tae Kwon Do on the Martial Talk Wiki:

http://www.martialtalk.net/wiki/index.php/Tae_Kwon_Do

This is my recent addition to the entry:

"Major Tae Kwon Do organizations include the World Tae Kwon Do Federation, The International Tae Kwon Do Federation and the American Tae Kwon Do Association. However, a large segment of the Tae Kwon Do community consists of independent, non-affiliated schools."

Alright Tigerwoman, Gemini, Terryl965 and all the other great MT TKD stylists! Let's fill this entry up!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really do not understand what the WIKI is for and how it is different from MT. that is why I have not posted on it already. If someone can explain in my simple way of thinking and how I can help, I would be glad to offer a lending hand.
TERRY

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MartialTalk Martial Arts Encyclopedia (or wiki) is a community created/edited/expanded encyclopedia and semi-dictionary of the martial arts. It uses the same software as the Wikipedia but focuses on a more concentrated area. This allows us do be a bit more than the Wikipedia (which isn't a dictionary).

It differs from the MartialTalk Discussion Forums, in that it is a resource, not a forum. On a discussion board, you can play point-counter point, debate, etc. On the MTMAE the contents should conform to a preferably non-political 3rd person view. Anyone who registers can edit the entries. We work together building the entries, correcting and expanding each others comments. The key test all content there must pass are "credible", "verifiable" and "Neutral Point of View".

From the Wikipedia these are defined as:

Credible content is defined simply as "articles should use reliable published sources"
What is and is not credible is outlined in great detail here.

"Verifiability" in this context does not mean that editors are expected to verify whether, for example, the contents of a New York Times article are true. In fact, editors are strongly discouraged from conducting this kind of research, because original research may not be published in Wikipedia. Articles should contain only material that has been published by reputable or credible sources, regardless of whether individual editors view that material as true or false. As counter-intuitive as it may seem, the threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. For that reason, it is vital that editors rely on good sources.

NPOV (Neutral Point Of View) is a fundamental Wikipedia principle which states that articles should be written from a neutral point of view, representing views fairly and without bias.

This is joined by the "No Original Research" clause.
Neither Wikipedia nor the MTMAE are the place for original research. Citing sources and avoiding original research are inextricably linked: the only way to show that you are not doing original research is to cite sources who discuss material that is directly related to the article, and to stick closely to what those sources say.

Original research is a term used on Wikipedia to refer to material added to articles by Wikipedia editors that has not been published already by a reputable source. In this context it means unpublished theories, data, statements, concepts, arguments, and ideas; or any new interpretation, analysis, or synthesis of published data, statements, concepts, arguments that, in the words of Wikipedia's founder Jimbo Wales, would amount to a "novel narrative or historical interpretation".

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok so you just want facts about the Art or sport of TKD not ones opinion correct.
Terry

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bingo. :)

Now, each entry has a "Talk" page. Personally, I find them annoying as it's hard to follow if people aren't familiar with the 'style'. They are a good place to decide if something should or should not be included in an entry though.

Another thing to keep in mind - ALL!!!! content contributed must be able to be contributed. The MT Wiki uses the same copyright licence as the main Wiki, so anything here can go there, and anything there can come here. But, if you wrote an article for a magazine, and the magazine holds the copyright to the article, you shouldn't post it to the Wiki. Anything posted to the Wiki is available (under certain terms) to anyone to use elsewhere (as long as it's properly cited).

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Ok so you just want facts about the Art or sport of TKD not ones opinion correct.
Terry

I didn't add more than a paragraph because I wanted more senior MT TKD members to add much, but this thread can also be a sounding board, perhaps, for additions.

Bob, are you able to keep people out who are likely to vandalize/politicize entries?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone vandalizes entries and refuses to participate in the editing process, we can block them. It can get tedious, but we can. There are currently 6 sysops on the project, and more will be added as it grows.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The more time I study Taekwondo the more I find there is more to know than I every thought, and the less of it I actually know...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
The more time I study Taekwondo the more I find there is more to know than I every thought, and the less of it I actually know...
Ain't that the truth. Those who try to see the end of the road tend to either get frustrated and quit or just say they've "arrived" and circumvent the system. Personally, I shy away from these type of things because though my training has probably been more intense than you average practitioner's (My wife says I suffer from TKD insanity) and I've learned much, I still see myself very much as a student and am always eager to learn more. I'll be glad to contribute what I can.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

I really like your additions. Please forgive me, but when I corrected a couple of typos, the highlight came off - I'll try to figure out how to put it back on and your points are unchanged. The information on the Kukkiwon is a great addition as well as the part about sport and art! :)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I really like your additions. Please forgive me, but when I corrected a couple of typos, the highlight came off - I'll try to figure out how to put it back on and your points are unchanged. The information on the Kukkiwon is a great addition as well as the part about sport and art! :)

Thamks maybe you can tell me how to start a new thread or do we just keep adding on to this one.
Thanks
terry

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I added this Kukkiwon link to Mr. Stoker's additions. However, it works but I couldn't figure out how to hypertext directly from the word Kukkiwon to the link. Instead, I put the link after the word.
http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/eng/introduce/insa.asp?div=1

Postscript: this is the right Kukkiwon link to use, isn't it? If not let me know and I'll correct.

What do you folks think of adding links to the WTF, ATA and ITF? I would have done it, but there's a political question here and right now there is more than one ITF "official site". What should we do? If we all put our heads together, the MT Project Tae Kwon Do entry should be one of the best, IMO.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea that is it Johnathon also it should be set to the Home page.
terry

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Thamks maybe you can tell me how to start a new thread or do we just keep adding on to this one.
Thanks
terry

I think this thread would be a great repository of communications regarding the MT Project (Tae Kwon Do0. That way, we have all the points, suggestions, corrections, etc. all in one place.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Couple of pointers:
- Think 3rd person viewpoint.

To create an internal link (and allow for the linking to an existing entry or creation of a new one) sandwich the term between [[ and ]]

Before creating a new entry, check and see if it's not already there, but under a different spelling or punctuation. This THIS and this are 3 different terms.

Consider linking the different ways to say the same thing together. Example "TKD" and "Tae Kwon Do" and "taekwondo" should all go to the same entry.

Redirecting a link is done by creating an entry for the alternate spelling and simply entering #REDIRECT [[correct spelling]]

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is where we presently stand. Thanks for correcting links and correcting style (phrasing, third person, etc.).

"Developed by General Choi Hong Hi in 1955, this highly competitive South Korean Martial Art was created from the ancient art of Taek Kyon and Shotokan Karate. It focuses on high, strong and spinning kicks and strikes. Introduced into the Olympics in 1988. Considered to be the most followed Martial Art today.
Major Tae Kwon Do organizations include the World Tae Kwon Do Federation, The International Tae Kwon Do Federation and the American Tae Kwon Do Association. However, a large segment of the Tae Kwon Do community consists of independent, non-affiliated schools.
The governing body of TKD is the Kukkiwon located in Seoul, South Korea and the US main body would be the USAT which is the governing body for the USOC.
Even through Tae Kwon Do is practiced by millions all over the world, it is an Art that is only about 60 years old. The sport aspect is the most practiced, but the tradition of TKD is still alive and well here in America.
Not just a sport, but rather a discipline and a way of life, Tae Kwon Do strengthens moral values of both young and old. The tenets of TKD are Courtesy, Integrity, Self-Control, Perseverance and Indomitable Spirit."

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
The question of the founder tends to breed hot debate among many...

Yes, I know, and I thought of editing it to read differently but I didn't want to change someone else's content - unless of course it was absolutely incorrect. At this point, I personally am just adding (and correcting for punctuation). Now if it had said that TKD is a 2,000 year old martial art...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some questions:
- Is it incorrect? In doubt? Debated?
--What are the 'alternatives'?

What are the other organizations that exist for TKD?

You're permitted to change others content, but it's preferred that if you do so, that it's based on verifiable and credible information. (You'll see me and a few others use those terms alot.) :)

Latest Discussions