Traditional Tae Kwon Do For College

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
My little brother is in high school and has been doing TKD for quite some time now. He wants to use it for getting acceptance within a college but there is a problem. My brother has been doing more traditional TKD and while has been doing well at tournaments it is not WTF. My brother wants to continue doing more traditional TKD but will colleges accept it? Will they care if it is traditional TKD or does it have to be WTF?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kane said:
My little brother is in high school and has been doing TKD for quite some time now. He wants to use it for getting acceptance within a college but there is a problem. My brother has been doing more traditional TKD and while has been doing well at tournaments it is not WTF. My brother wants to continue doing more traditional TKD but will colleges accept it? Will they care if it is traditional TKD or does it have to be WTF?

If he gets Kukkiwon dan certification (offered by many traditional TKD Dojangs), he can make the transition to WTF style if necessary, I believe.

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
If he gets Kukkiwon dan certification (offered by many traditional TKD Dojangs), he can make the transition to WTF style if necessary, I believe.

And colleges won't care if he gets this done?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Kane to answer your question about going to college on TKD, is he trying to make the college compete teamor there tean that just trains there? Is he trying to get a scholarship for TKD and if the answer is YES than he has to be able to do WTF style which is sport TKD they do not practice ITF TKD at the college level for scholarships, soory that is the way the colleges are set up.

If he already a BB in ITF all he needs to do is submit his credintials to the USAT and get certified through them for this to happen and learn how to spar with the USAT rules instead of ITF.

I hope this helps
Terry

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kane said:
And colleges won't care if he gets this done?

What sort of official recognition from the college is sought here? Acceptance on a team, phys. ed. credit, scholarship?

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well Kane to answer your question about going to college on TKD, is he trying to make the college compete teamor there tean that just trains there? Is he trying to get a scholarship for TKD and if the answer is YES than he has to be able to do WTF style which is sport TKD they do not practice ITF TKD at the college level for scholarships, soory that is the way the colleges are set up.

If he already a BB in ITF all he needs to do is submit his credintials to the USAT and get certified through them for this to happen and learn how to spar with the USAT rules instead of ITF.

I hope this helps
Terry

He can learn easy enough, but does he have to have done WTF? If he knows the rules and how to spar but won many tournaments in traditional TKD will they still recognize this?

arnisador said:
What sort of official recognition from the college is sought here? Acceptance on a team, phys. ed. credit, scholarship?

College scholarship/acceptance and to play on the team I think.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kane said:
He can learn easy enough, but does he have to have done WTF? If he knows the rules and how to spar but won many tournaments in traditional TKD will they still recognize this?

College scholarship/acceptance and to play on the team I think.

Kane to be part of the college circuit you must be either USAT certified or Kukkiwon, ITF means absolutely nothing to them. Winning a bunch of open events does not hold when they talk about Olympic sparring.

The best thing to do at this juncture is go to his instructor have him file for a USAT membership and get him certified though them for his past and start to do USAT events to get him recognize in the circuit if this is truely what he wants.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane,

I suggest you PM MSUTKD (Ron) who is coach and instructor for Michigan State's TKD team. He is very involved with the National Collegiate Taekwondo Association (NCTA) and the USAT. He can probably give your brother contact information for those colleges which offer scholarships.

Miles

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kane,

I really do not think involvement in Taekwondo will help get into college or bring a scholarship for your brother. Taekwondo is just a club/intramural sport (at 99% of the schools). The only college I know that did offer a “real” scholarship was UC Berkeley. As stated above, that program requires that the athlete participate in WTF style games, such as the USAT (former USTU) and NCTA (National Collegiate Taekwondo Association). Taekwondo cannot become an NCAA sport because of title IX (look it up if you do not know about this – warning……politics)
As a Professor, my advice would be to get good grades, study and prepare for entrance exams and use the lessons you have learned in Taekwondo training to be successful. Once at college you can continue your study of Taekwondo along with your academic endeavors. School comes first for my athletes.
If I can help you, just ask. I know many great Taekwondo programs at Universities around the US.

ron

Latest Discussions