Martial artists are bullies or nerds!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to be........a lumberjack! :roflmao:

You go Carol be all the lumberjack you can be.
icon14.gif

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow that opening statement made me laugh. Reducing people's life's work at their art to being a nerd or a bully. Well I'm neither, I do have heavy nerd tendencies. I'm no bully either, after all bullies come from a place of insecurity who impose their will on others by force to placate their weak egos. Frankly I'm neither, never raised my hand in anger or to force anyone to do anything, though I have attended a few comic book and Star Trek conventions.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how many martial artists are either bullies or nerds? So which are you? The bully or the nerd?

Let's add a troll category to that list, then figure out which group you fall into.
If you are for real, then you just showed how much maturing you have to go through to be a real martial artist.

AoG

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you are for real, then you just showed how much maturing you have to go through to be a real martial artist.

Read the last post he made in Andy's thread about martial arts styles debates. It's a troll of sorts, but an intentional one to prove a point about what sorta topics get replies

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Counts up the number of computers in house, number of websites owned, number of forums operated, and number of costumes worn, as well as dusty D&D manuals on the shelf*

Um, Jock?

;)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll note, the Lady isn't smiling.
Probably a Bills fan. LOL! ;)

ok, getting serious for a second, I'll say I've seen what the OP said. I've encountered alot of the "fantasy warriors" and alot of the "bullies".
The fantasy warriors think knowing martial arts makes you Superman, or a Power Ranger, or something superior.
The bullies think that a bit of cloth, a fancy bit of paper, or a title makes them "special".
Both are problems in the arts, but also outside the art.

If one is either a fantasy case or a bully, it'll show elsewhere too.
The fantasy scifi fan thinks his phaser is real.
The bully thinks his fan-club captain rank means something in the real world.

The fantasy footballer thinks his team can do no wrong, despite 3 rape convictions and a drug bust.
The bully will lay you out for cheering for the other team.

The fantasy boss thinks that his big office is a little throne room
The bully boss, the same, and expects you to kneel in his presence, be it at work or at the mall.

Same personality defects, different places.
Peoples are just sometimes wired weird.

Most folks I've dealt with though, are ok people.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how many martial artists are either bullies or nerds? They are either awkward wanna-bees pursuing some SOF fantasy a la the character "Kip" in the movie, "Napoleon Dynamite", or they are tough guys with a problem, like the character of the karate instructor,"Rex" from the same movie. Real tough guys usually don't worry about self defense and self esteem issues. If they enjoy hard physical competition, they do well enough in normal contact sports like football, hockey, or wrestling. The only exception might be for police and soldiers who really need to know how to handle combat situations. The rest have..."issues". So which are you? The bully or the nerd?

Well here is me:

I am a geek or a nerd. I got A's and B's in HS and College. I work as an engineer.

I feel comfortable with sports and contact. And also with fighting as I was bullied when I was younger, but the bullies always ended up leaving me alone. A quote from one: "If I had your size Rich and with my "brains" I could rule this school." Elementary this was. A few examples there and in JHS, and people left me alone. I also would try to stop bullies.

I have issues, but most of those are around women and saving money for the future.

I started Martial Arts to learn how to deal with weapons and to also learn how not to hurt people. You see I was not the bully so everyone always picked on the big guy who was not pushing people around. So, I thought a fair fight was four of them and one of me. Three or less, I would get hit and then react and someone would get hurt. If there was five or more of them I would get scared and someone would get hurt as well. With four it seemed to be the issue just enough to keep me busy but not to get me too scared to hurt someone with pure strength.

So while I am a nerd, I did not join martial arts for the reason you are presenting. Maybe I am an anomaly, but it is a negative point against your thesis.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at least you'll be looking okay in a dress all day.

Damn you got there first lol!

Nerd or bully eh? neither though I suppose the capability to be a bully might lurk somewhere but after all these years I don't think it's ever come out. Nerd, no my brain doesn't work that way. i do martial arts because I enjoy it, I like fighting in fact (tryng to slip this in quietly on this thread lol) in February I'm competing in pro MMA ( as long as they can find me an opponent) club competition..... at my age yah! Oooh perhaps that's the bully coming out rofl.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
in February I'm competing in pro MMA ( as long as they can find me an opponent) club competition..... at my age yah! Oooh perhaps that's the bully coming out rofl.

Thx :) Encouraging for someone who at 38 has thought of doing an MMA competition here or there

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I don`t ever see many bullies or nerds of the kind you speak of lasting long in a proper dojo.

The nerd will talk a lot about how great the last place he trained at was, after a week or two he typically fakes an injury and he will be gone. Possibly he will show up one last time a week or two later just to tell you how great the latest Bruce Lee book he bought was.

Bullies who try to show how tough they are by intimidating other students will be put in their place or told to leave.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a nerd, a bully, or a tough guy. I was picked on as a kid, but by the time I started martial arts, I could already defend myself but was by no means a tough guy. I guess I don't fit into any of your pigeonholes.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
in February I'm competing in pro MMA ( as long as they can find me an opponent) club competition..... at my age yah! Oooh perhaps that's the bully coming out rofl.

Thx :) Encouraging for someone who at 38 has thought of doing an MMA competition here or there

To be a bully you would have to try to "CONVINCE" someone that they need to step into the ring with you. ;) Even if you have to beat them the first time outside of the ring. :p

Good Luck in Feb.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to have this fight for a number of reasons and I think they are ones most martial artists share, it's nothing to do with bullying or being big ( or macho) I want to know that I have the bottle to fight, that what I've learned works, that I can cope with a physical 'attack' and I want to be able to look the fighters in the eye and say I stepped into the ring, I want the respect for being able to do it not just talk the talk. I'm training hard, it's given me a big push and the incentive that's been lacking now for a while. If i don't get an opponent ( I realsie that the few girls we do have that fight may not be willing to take the match) at least I'm getting fit again.
Nerds and bullies, I doubt this is the place to ask that question you know, I don't think there's many who fit either category.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, I started this thread earlier today and I've already tee'd off too many people...so sorry. But you gotta admit it sure got a big response. And, there were some thoughtful responses, as well as a lot of humor. By my count, the nerds outnumber the bullies here by at least five to one. Now, that's not surprising on a web forum, since martial bullies are less likely to waste time on the internet. So the question remains, which group do I belong to? Well, I'm an artist and teacher as well as martial artist. I'm nearly computer illiterate (sadly), so I ain't no geek...but alas I exhibit strong nerdish tendencies. But with proper training a nerd can kick butt! So there's hope. Or does that just make a bully-nerd? What it really boils down to is that if you're serious about the martial arts, you've got to accept that a lot of folks will view what you do as eccentric, at best. So you develop a "thick skin" and follow own path. There is also the related issue of martial arts inspired self-delusion. You know...when someone trains for a while and gets pretty good in a "club" or school setting and starts thinking that they're a bullet proof bad-***. Sounds like a topic for another annoying thread! Maybe on another day...

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Well I'm no bully, and I'm split on the "nerd" thing.

For every quality I possess that fits the stereotypical "nerd" category( I play Dungeons and Dragons, you all just saw from my last thread how I just nerd-herded the Style debate to, well, to pretty much the closest thing it's ever gonna get to its final death, and I ain't exactly the world's greatest ladies' man) there is another trait I possess that cancels it out( I work out, I never got good grades in school, and my friends are diverse enough so as not to constitute a "clique").

So I guess I'll just have to settle for being Andy, who is awesome.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ain't exactly the world's greatest ladies' man

What, Andy isn't a ladies man? My world is in shambles! Nothing makes sense anymore! Up is blue, down is north, nothing makes sense anymore!

Sorry Andy, I just had to.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree,
Yes there are many bullies within the martial arts community.
And again yes there are many of the Nerd classification.
They are usually,
* The average person who wants to learn basic fighting skills, not to bully but to survive,
* The real tough guys, they don't brag or beat up on people, they just train. They are usually pretty easy to work with within the Dojo.
* Kids who are tired of getting or threatened to be beat up while in school,
* Medical injuries, many are sent by the madical professionto to help with their various medical injuries,
* Domestic violence victums, this one is a no brainer.
And the list goes on.
:ubercool: