Martial artists are bullies or nerds!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
What it really boils down to is that if you're serious about the martial arts, you've got to accept that a lot of folks will view what you do as eccentric, at best.

Eccentric people rule. The ones spending all their time trying to be 100% normal or cool have no substance. If you don`t walk your own path then what is there?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ever since this thread started I have been fighting the urge to post

Martial artists are neither bullies nor nerds and if you don't agree with me I will write a martial arts program to make the virtual human I designed, using linux, make you agree.

With that I bid you adieu

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, let's see. I'll use myself and my friends as a response to the topic.

Myself: Philosophy major with plenty of computer experience, a trucker, a former break dancer, and in high school I got varsity letters in Football and Wrestling. But I was also in choir and drama, was on a first name basis with the librarian. And I dated. A lot. Never was a bully, and I was too popular and generalized to be a nerd.

Dre: Beat up people for money. Quit after high school. Yeah, ok. He was a bully. But he's better now.

JD: Breakdancer for the Massive Monkees (2006 Breakdancing world champions and have toured with different hip hop artists). Dating the closest thing to Angelina Jolie I'll ever meet. In high school he was doing the same thing, only beating up bullies as well. (Ironically, JD and DRE are best friends now.)

Quinton: arguably the most popular kid in the school in high school, never did sports, and didn't know crap about computers. Now he's a career model and a breakdancer, and a friggin ladies' man.

Jesse: Met him when I joined a singing group he was in. Choir kid, in high school. Now a model, break dancer, and also a friggin ladies' man.

James: He's the closest thing to a nerd we have, but even in high school, no one beat him up because the guy is kinda scary. You'd have to meet him to know what I'm talking about.

Hau-wei: Nerd.

So we have one bully and one nerd out of a group of 7. So much for the false dichotomy. Really, I find making any comparisons between real life and Napoleon Dynamite to be difficult at best.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bully or a nerd huh? I dont push anyone around, and I dont like to be pushed around. I'm not really a nerd either, I dont know enough about any one subject to qualify for that. So I say there has to be a choice C? Let me know what that is?

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am from a family of law enforcement and currently a "cop" myself. So I train for my own livelihood.

I would say there is two reasons for taking martial arts and the two you listed on not it geezer.

To put it simply...

IMAGE vs. SELF IMPROVEMENT

I would say the majority on this board are for their own self improvement.

Latest Discussions