Looking for some Self-defense and Martial Arts Assumptions

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Working on an article about common myths and incorrect assumptions of self-defense or martial arts Do you know of any that you often hear or see?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Standing up somehow prevents three guys from jumping out of the crowd and knocking you out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being a good martial artist will make you good at self defense.
Not that one, well sort of, if your not good at self defense your not a good martial artist, better is playing foot tag or endless flow drills Hitting coats racks and it trees,do not make you a good martial artist

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hitting coats racks and it trees,do not make you a good martial artist
That alone...you are absolutely correct. Nor does just weight lifting, or a physical exercise.
It is an incorrect assumption that just because one is good at practicing a martial art that one is good at self defense. There are even many who assume that because one practices a martial art that one is good at fighting which has been proven incorrect a multitude of times.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That alone...you are absolutely correct. Nor does just weight lifting, or a physical exercise.
It is an incorrect assumption that just because one is good at practicing a martial art that one is good at self defense. There are even many who assume that because one practices a martial art that one is good at fighting which has been proven incorrect a multitude of times.
But the discussion is not the myths of excessive or weight lifting, it's the myths of ma. And one such myth, is you can adequately defend your self, with out physical fitness to a good level and then with out meaning full training against a moving target, that hits back, if you study ma with out this, your ma only in the context that a name can mean anything you want it to. Like saying your a student of quantum mechanics, whilst watching you tube, it's sort of true, but is slightly bending reality

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A black belt or champion (of any championship) is a master in martial arts.

A good fighter is a good instructor. Or, a good instructor needs to be a good fighter.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Working on an article about common myths and incorrect assumptions of self-defense or martial arts Do you know of any that you often hear or see?

I watch and listen to classes/trainings. This is what they have in common
In (nearly) every MA-oriented self defense class/training for women and girls:

the threat is:

* a stranger
* happens 'on the street'
* is sudden
* overwhelming force
* occurrs at night
* occurrs 'because she was not alert to her surroundings'

Instructors/teachers reluctantly admit they know very little about actual sexual assault,
and shrug their shoulders (or do the equivalent in print) and continue to do the same.

They stay in their 'safe place'.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I watch and listen to classes/trainings. This is what they have in common
In (nearly) every MA-oriented self defense class/training for women and girls:

the threat is:

* a stranger
* happens 'on the street'
* is sudden
* overwhelming force
* occurrs at night
* occurrs 'because she was not alert to her surroundings'

Instructors/teachers reluctantly admit they know very little about actual sexual assault,
and shrug their shoulders (or do the equivalent in print) and continue to do the same.

They stay in their 'safe place'.
Good one. Most of the time (don't know the exact number and it may change according to the source) the threat is a familiar or known person. It happens because the victim perceives resisting would only make things worse (and not because of lack of martial skills).

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't forget the infamous Dim Mak, the Touch Of Death.
You know what. I actually did forget about that. The touch of death. There is also an assumption about pressure point fighting as well but I don't know how to word it at the moment. The assumption that I'm talking about is the one where people think hitting a pressure point is going to be easy when someone is trying to knock your head off.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
But the discussion is not the myths of excessive or weight lifting, it's the myths of ma. And one such myth, is you can adequately defend your self, with out physical fitness to a good level and then with out meaning full training against a moving target, that hits back, if you study ma with out this, your ma only in the context that a name can mean anything you want it to. Like saying your a student of quantum mechanics, whilst watching you tube, it's sort of true, but is slightly bending reality
Right and there are those (I know of several) who think having strength and that weight training for body building makes one good at self defense and fighting. Movies are great at pushing and maintaining such myths. Most in the martial arts know and understand good physical fitness is a must for most good self defense situations though there are some individuals who may not.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right and there are those (I know of several) who think having strength and that weight training for body building makes one good at self defense and fighting. Movies are great at pushing and maintaining such myths. Most in the martial arts know and understand good physical fitness is a must for most good self defense situations though there are some individuals who may not.
i think its best not to get to absolutes, a weight trainer with no particular fighting skills may well come up short against a highly skilled fighter with good fitness, on the more thorny issue of self defence, where there's only a small chance of being attacked by a highly skilled fighter, then the,ability to throw 200 lbs about like its nothing can be a major advantage if your attacker only weights 180. I think Arne and sly, etal could before they got old, maybe still, put up a robust defence against most people, I'm sure,dwain and Jason could,

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"An Upward Palm Heel strike to the nose will drive the cartilage into the brain"

"99% of fights end up on the ground"

"All traditional MA is useless"

"There's no such thing as bad students, only bad teachers"

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
i think its best not to get to absolutes, a weight trainer with no particular fighting skills may well come up short against a highly skilled fighter with good fitness, on the more thorny issue of self defence, where there's only a small chance of being attacked by a highly skilled fighter, then the,ability to throw 200 lbs about like its nothing can be a major advantage if your attacker only weights 180. I think Arne and sly, etal could before they got old, maybe still, put up a robust defence against most people, I'm sure,dwain and Jason could,
You have a narrow scope as to what is self defense.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that one, well sort of, if your not good at self defense your not a good martial artist, better is playing foot tag or endless flow drills Hitting coats racks and it trees,do not make you a good martial artist
Oh I dunno. Don't you think those wushu guys and karateka that do their kata really well are good martial artists?

Blitz

White Belt
Reaction score
That you'll actually have chance to get in your fighting stance, most of the fights i have been in the guy was either real close or in my face. if i would of got into my fighting stance it would of telegraphed what i was going to do, this is also why i now spend some of my training striking from my normal talking stance.

Latest Discussions