Looking for my 5yrs old daughter...

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
The thing that pisses me off is that she have a great voice and really love music and I was looking forward for her to get into some music/singing classes, now I'm disapointed with the comments I've got from those people.
I love Martial Arts but I also love music for my kids and have had them learning the keyboard from a young age, and this has really had great benefits in their lives, they love it, and are now both playing two instruments. There was some interesting research that I read years ago that children who learn the keyboard at a young age will have an advantage in math, because the keyboard/piano is based on patterns and so is the study of mathematics. My kids are a little older now and are both at the top of their classes in math. It could be a coincidence, but I really think there is a connection, because they certainly didn't get it from me - I am terrible at math!

As far as finding the right style for your child, I think the most important thing is finding the right instructor for children. Someone who you think they will be comfortable learning from, is respectful and disciplined but fun. So, I'm glad you found a school you are happy with!

She is totally adorable!:)

OP
C

Croxley

mj-hi-yah said:
There was some interesting research that I read years ago that children who learn the keyboard at a young age will have an advantage in math, because the keyboard/piano is based on patterns and so is the study of mathematics.
I had heard it the other way round- that kids good a maths may have a bent towards music.

But I suppose that's the old chicken v egg thing- certainly seems to be a link though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the patterns, progressions and so on.

My two are both ok at maths so far. One day in Grade 1 my son got very bored and did his whole maths homework in Roman numerals!

They're both very keen on their MA, too.

OP
C

Croxley

mj-hi-yah said:
As far as finding the right style for your child, I think the most important thing is finding the right instructor for children. Someone who you think they will be comfortable learning from, is respectful and disciplined but fun. So, I'm glad you found a school you are happy with!
I agree- our chief instructor (my kids' sensei, my sifu) has a wonderful way with the kids. They work hard for their gradings, make no mistake, but have a great time in the process. (Some say he has a better way with the little ones than with us grown-ups.)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Croxley said:
I had heard it the other way round- that kids good a maths may have a bent towards music.

But I suppose that's the old chicken v egg thing- certainly seems to be a link though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the patterns, progressions and so on.

Yes, the two seem related somehow.

Not for me though--math. I can handle, but I'm hopeless at music!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point, I'd concentrate on Assault Prevention. You can be her instructor in this. As far as MA training (I KNOW I'm gonna get flamed for this one), sport TKD seems to be the best for small children. They are forced to follow instructions, treat seniors and fellow students with respect and learn techniques that train their young bodies in physical coordination. You said it yourself, no five year old is going to out-fight an adult determined to do them harm. Why not let your kid have fun in a positive environment? When she reaches 10-11 you can let her know that spinning crescent kicks and jump side kicks are not the best self-defence techniques available.

You can be her teacher in the most important aspects of self-defence; avoidance and escape. You don't have to be a 5th Dan in the ultimate RBSD to do this.

Whatever you do, I appreciate your concern as a parent. If only others cared as much. The best thing you can do to insure her safety is exactly what you are doing - be involved. Predators (and most children are victimized by aquaintances or family) for the most part pick those who are isolated an unprotected by concerned adults and parents.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kwe Hello, my 5 and 6 year old daughters BOTH play guitar, they are not virtuoso's but do play, you'll need a Guitar sized for her of course and if she is tiny you may need to go the EXPENSIVE custom route. My girls take after Mom's side of the family(Mrs Uncle is over 7') not mine thankfully so they are fairly big for their age, Standard 1/4 scale guitar works for them.

My girls are both taking lessons at Amerikick locally and I was drawn here to research further ;-) My Mrs wanted them to take lessons for the same reasons you mentioned. I am all for it, I think Karate(might be Kenpo, never asked what form they teach) is better for them than Dance school too. I'd say Martial Arts is a similar form to Dancing but with the added ability to strike back at attackers tho ALWAYS loved the Scene in Ferris Bueller where Jennifer Grey Screams and kicks the Principal in the face 3 times and runs off still terrified not realizing she'd knocked him out! ;-)

I also try and get them Autographed images of Strong Women espescially native Women such as Olympian Waneek Horn Miller who is a Kahnawake Mohawk as we are. I want them to grow up strong and independent

I harassed them today about something too you mentioned, they sometimes do as they please but if Sensei Alex barks an order they comply IMMEDIATELY! odd ehnit?

Good Luck

Skenne Peace

---
http://www.urbanskinz.com

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know when I first started playiing guitar I was 12, and I had two teachers, my first teacher was a huge theory buff, so it was boring as hell for a 12 yr old. My second teacher mixed a lot of it up, he would teach me popular songs through tablature for half the class and theory for the other half. My point go out there and get different opinions, a teacher's creativity can go a long way. Good luck.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Well Put!

icon14.gif

Latest Discussions