Looking for my 5yrs old daughter...

M

MissTwisties

Hello all. I'm new here. :) My oldest daughter started to play soccer (9yrs old) a few weeks ago. Now naturally, my youngest daughter want to do an activity herself. She is 5 yrs old. I have been looking into music, but they say she is too young to start learning to play guitar, her hands are too small and at that age, they cannot learn how to read a music book. So I have been thinking about martial arts for her. If it doesn't work out in soccer for my oldest, she might join her little sister later. Now there is different disciplines I have been looking at, mainly surfing the web to get infos on them. I have been looking at Taekwondo, Karate, Aikido, Kung Fu and Judo.

Here is what I'm looking for:

1. A style where she can learn to defend herself, altho at her young age, any man could still snatch her even if she does martial arts. But I'm thinking as she will learn and get older, I want her to be able to kick any predator's *** that would try to hurt my baby, if this ever was to happen.

2. I want her to learn discipline, to be able to respond faster when I ask her to do something, for exemple. She is 5, and believe me, she's acting like 5!! lol she rarely listen to mommy and daddy, run away from us, play hide and seek when it's not the time, etc. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about, right? ;)

3. I want her to learn respect, be self-confident and proud, be strong minded and have a strong will. To be able to deal smartly with bullys, and mean people. To be anyone she want to be when she grow older. I know we, as parents, have a role to play to teach her that, but as much as we might try, doesn't mean it's always enough. I always encourage my kids to do their best, and if they fail, but I know they tried their best, I'll still be very proud of them. To me that my girls become very balanced children growing into adults is important. I want them to be at peace in their mind, and see no limits in life for them.

4. I would like eventually for her to learn weapons, which I think are very cool. Swords for exemple.

5. And last. That would be a big plus if she can go on competitions. Specially College (I know she is still young, but I'm always looking far ahead!!). I know there is no competition in Aikido...

This is all, of course, things I would like for my girls. But this is also if they want and wish to do this.

Now money wise...we are kinda of limited. Around here (Springfield MA area), most school charge you over $60/month for once a week! I found a karate school which is $40/month for twice a week. I am also trying to stay away from commercialized schools. I want traditionnal, the real thing. Kinda of like what you see in the movies, the student is close to his master and form a nice relationship master/student...lol Am I asking too much living in a metro area? Also I have this conception that martial arts are better taught by asian people backgrounds...they lived their whole life doing martial arts, it's almost like it's in their genes. I'm kinda of mefiant of phony "masters" but how am I suppose to know...

Thanks for reading that awfull long post, I'm looking forward to your advices. :)

Veronique

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At her age self defense is not a reality and today a lot of Karate schools are just not that good. I think though at her age I would say the perfect system for her start learning is Kajukenbo. If you into the Kenpo section and look for John Bishop. He is a moderator in there and is very knowledgable in the arts and especially Kajukenbo. He can direct you to just about any of they're schools in the USA.

Also here are some schools that I know of that may be close to you.

This first 2 schools I know the chief instructors personally and they are great guys.
Ask for Robert Gant
Gant's Martial Arts Academy
632 E. Maple
Nevada, MO 64772
[email protected]

Duff & Sons
Charles Duff
4822 E. St. Hwy KK
Fairgrove, MO 65648

Two Tigers Martial Arts
Allan McKelvy
4355 S. National, Suite 1212
Springfield, MO 65807

Dragon's Spirit Martial Arts
Ray Gilbert
18137 Fir Road
Joplin, MO 64801
[email protected]

Dragon's Way Martial Arts
Dan Murrill
677 Indian Valley
Ozark, MO 65727

Hope that helps. They teach Goju Ryu and great at what they do.

OP
M

MissTwisties

Sorry....MA stands for Massachusetts! ;)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK. In the Kenpo section look for Karazenpo. He is a well repected member and is in Massuchsetts. He too can direct you in a good path.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I haven't studied any other systems so I am kind of biast. I would say any of the kenpo/kajukenbo systems.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Hello all. I'm new here. :) My oldest daughter started to play soccer (9yrs old) a few weeks ago. Now naturally, my youngest daughter want to do an activity herself. She is 5 yrs old. I have been looking into music, but they say she is too young to start learning to play guitar, her hands are too small and at that age, they cannot learn how to read a music book.
I think you should go back to that music school and remind them that Mozart wrote his first (major) piece of music at FOUR years old, then leave. Basically they don't know (or care) enough about children to make that kind of judgement on their potential abilities.
Grr grr grr... stupid stuck up people.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
I think you should go back to that music school and remind them that Mozart wrote his first (major) piece of music at FOUR years old, then leave. Basically they don't know (or care) enough about children to make that kind of judgement on their potential abilities.
Grr grr grr... stupid stuck up people.
Yeah dag nabit!!!!

OP
M

MissTwisties

Actually, it was the Springfield Music conservatory who told me this. Also, two other schools, one of them being guitar learning specific, told me the same thing. They all told me that a child that age have hands too small to handle a guitar because of it's size not fit for their little hands. They also told me a child that age is just starting learning school stuff and that usually, they are too young to read and comprehend music books and such. THey told me children that age usually start by being introduced to music with singing, dancing, movements, playing easier instruments such as little drums and what not (they have programs specific for that)...I don't know...after hearing about this, I turned around and look elsewhere, hence, martial arts...good physical activity for her...lol

The thing that pisses me off is that she have a great voice and really love music and I was looking forward for her to get into some music/singing classes, now I'm disapointed with the comments I've got from those people.

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
Actually, it was the Springfield Music conservatory who told me this. Also, two other schools, one of them being guitar learning specific, told me the same thing. They all told me that a child that age have hands too small to handle a guitar because of it's size not fit for their little hands. They also told me a child that age is just starting learning school stuff and that usually, they are too young to read and comprehend music books and such. THey told me children that age usually start by being introduced to music with singing, dancing, movements, playing easier instruments such as little drums and what not (they have programs specific for that)...I don't know...after hearing about this, I turned around and look elsewhere, hence, martial arts...good physical activity for her...lol

The thing that pisses me off is that she have a great voice and really love music and I was looking forward for her to get into some music/singing classes, now I'm disapointed with the comments I've got from those people.
Actually, one of my best friends is an excellent guitar player, I will ask him about the age. He has been teaching for some years now.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend Judo. With the exceptions of weapons it fits the bill.

Kids look at most things as play and Judo with its sport aspect is a game. It's fun and she will be learning valuable self defense as well. Five, in my opinion is a little young to be instilling the killer instinct. It is a good base if later she would like to branch out to a more "deadly" art.

Good for self defense esp. for kids who usually end up in a pushing or wresting match. As she gets older and if she may find herself in a compromising situation Judo teaches a lot of ground work. Arm bars, chokes etc. I.E. How to deal with someone that is all over you. Techniques are based on leverage and positioning not strength. Hard to go toe to toe in a striking match with a huge guy. The techniques also fit in with the laws of most communities. Reasonable force against attacker. (ie you are not allowed to gouge someone's eyes out because they pushed you)

It will instill discipline, generally most Martial Arts do.

Its cheap. Most Judo Dojos are well below your standard commercial school. Check your local community center or Y, many have programs.

Plenty of competitions - who knows maybe Olympics one day!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
All the qualities you seek are in Taekwondo. Not all schools though teach 5 yr. olds. It takes a special teacher so you need to see the teacher in action with that age group. You as a parent need to realize there will not be leaps and bounds at that age, but a slower going. It does take a commitment mostly on the parents part to consistently bring the child to class at least twice a week and encourage practice at home. I find teaching five year olds is challenging as it is difficult when they don't know the left from the right, it depends on their development and their ability to focus. Usually classes for five year olds consist of fun activiities that change frequently. I have seen 5 year olds progress but for the reasons stated also drop out fast. Don't expect your daughter to get a black belt for staying in the standard 4-5 years. Some dojangs don't allow testing until age 12. I think the skills they learn well at a later age because of motor skill development will in the end better serve the student. My son started TKD at age 8 and became a junior bb at age 12, my daughter at 10 and also became bb the same time at 14. It also helped to keep them interested because I joined. Just a few things to consider... TW

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:
1. A style where she can learn to defend herself, altho at her young age, any man could still snatch her even if she does martial arts. But I'm thinking as she will learn and get older, I want her to be able to kick any predator's *** that would try to hurt my baby, if this ever was to happen.
As already mentioned it's tough for a 5 yr old to physically defend herself against an adult. Having said that, I'm partial to American Kenpo as a system of self defense.

MissTwisties said:
2. I want her to learn discipline, to be able to respond faster when I ask her to do something, for exemple.
At the earlier ages, parents excercise strong control. As the child grows, parents excercise less control and hope that the child has learned self-discipline. Don't expect that anyone outside of Mom & Dad will teach your child to be obedient to you, but that's not discipline anyway.

MissTwisties said:
3. I want her to learn respect, be self-confident and proud, be strong minded and have a strong will...
When we are young two things help us to become confident; we get praised when we do something (but not so much that it goes to our head) and we are re-inforced as we notice our own acheivements. Almost worthy endeavor can help build confidence.

MissTwisties said:
4. I would like eventually for her to learn weapons, which I think are very cool. Swords for exemple.
In the teen age years kids are less likely to do what their parents want them to do. My 16-year old is an awesome guitar player which is great, but it was my hope that he would have also been an awesome trumpet player. He's played the trumpet much longer than the guitar, but ceaselessly practices the guitar.

I'd still recommend Kenpo as worth looking into.

I would get rid of the notion that Asians teach martial arts better than others; for that matter, you'd do well to visit schools and observe. Just because a person demonstrates great skill doesn't mean that they are great teachers. If you find a school with a bunch of students who have great skill, then that is one nice indicator.

A little investigation may reveal many reputable schools (not listed in the phone book). Be real careful about where you take her; don't any chances. And don't let anyone sell you something you aren't really after.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
All the qualities you seek are in Taekwondo. Not all schools though teach 5 yr. olds. It takes a special teacher so you need to see the teacher in action with that age group. You as a parent need to realize there will not be leaps and bounds at that age, but a slower going. It does take a commitment mostly on the parents part to consistently bring the child to class at least twice a week and encourage practice at home. Don't expect your daughter to get a black belt for staying in the standard 4-5 years. Some dojangs don't allow testing until age 12. I think the skills they learn well at a later age because of motor skill development will in the end better serve the student. Just a few things to consider... TW
I agree with TigerWoman, but with all due respect I have to say those things also apply to American Kenpo! :D

Good Luck in your search, Veronique. I hope you find the right activity or martial art for your little one. I commend you for doing your homework.
:asian:

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Take her to a music school and have them teach her the violin, been reading about the great things it does for growing children...

An easy art for kids is TKD and others that are child oriented, good teachers etc...

Check Google and read about the new findings on what teaching the violin does for children...

Regards, Gary

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MissTwisties said:

Have you tried 'Gordon LaSalle Music' in Agawam? Toney & Terry Douglas used to take in students at 5 & 6 all the time. The number used to be (413) 786-8742 (78MUSIC). The biggest qualifier was not the child's size, but attention span that qualified a student. If the student can focus for 20 minutes a day on the instrument, they can be successful.

The store is right near 'The Big E'.

The violin stuff GAB mentioned is called the 'Suzuki' violin method. It is basically teaching the child to play be ear. It is very successful, although a bit hard to find a good teacher in the style. Most teachers are classically trained (I have a degree from Westfield State College) and we discussed the Suzuki method, and were exposed to it ... but after you know all about the little black dots, it can be difficult to put them aside for this method.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for teaching your child discipline, I think one of my instructors said it best when it comes to teaching children. She said something like, "I can make them listen to me, I can't make them listen to their parents."

In class young kids will listen to their instructors otherwise they won't learn anything and won't get promoted, etc. Sure, most martial arts will teach you discipline, but if the only time they get lessons on being respectful, courteous, and doing what they're told is in the gym, that's the only place they'll do it. I've seen it happen with the little kids, they'll be so attentive in class and as soon they are removed from that context the manners and everything else disappear. What I'm trying to say is that don't expect any miracles from martial arts training. There are certainly benefits, but it might not turn your child into an obedient little angel (Where's the fun in that anyway?) As for a particular art, every art has it's good points and low points. I won't try to sell you on tae kwon do, judo, or jujutsu, because I don't know how the instructors in your area are. As other's have suggested, go to the classes and take a look, talk with the instructors. Some instructors may not teach a child that young. Also, make sure you're daughter is interested, martial arts aren't for everyone and if it something your daughter enjoys she won't get a lot out of it and it would just be a waste of money.

tongsau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a guitarist, I am aware that hand size affects your playing. Girls ussually have the tenacity to play at younger ages but you will have to get different sized guitars. I would say the best time to start a kid on a guitar is: boys 6-8 and girls: 5-7 (with 5 having a serious restriction on development and size) I know a 5 year old who probably wouldn't be ready to learn guitar well after she is 10. But you be the judge of your own child. Also, I would recommend you start with something more to their liking. I started with Piano, then Trumpet, Flugebone, Baritone, Euphonium, French horn, back to trumpet, then to guitar (Next drums). It's all similar when learning music the only difference is Embouchure and fingerings and in the case of piano and guitar (the hardest of them all) chords. Something most musicians don't learn until college. If your child can figure out what an eighth note is and recognize a Bflat on the staff. They are ready for music. If they have the tenacity to learn 1-3 things a week and work for a month to only get to the point where they remember the fingerings. They are ready for guitar/piano.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tongsau said:
As a guitarist, I am aware that hand size affects your playing. Girls ussually have the tenacity to play at younger ages but you will have to get different sized guitars. I would say the best time to start a kid on a guitar is: boys 6-8 and girls: 5-7 (with 5 having a serious restriction on development and size) I know a 5 year old who probably wouldn't be ready to learn guitar well after she is 10. But you be the judge of your own child. Also, I would recommend you start with something more to their liking. I started with Piano, then Trumpet, Flugebone, Baritone, Euphonium, French horn, back to trumpet, then to guitar (Next drums). It's all similar when learning music the only difference is Embouchure and fingerings and in the case of piano and guitar (the hardest of them all) chords. Something most musicians don't learn until college. If your child can figure out what an eighth note is and recognize a Bflat on the staff. They are ready for music. If they have the tenacity to learn 1-3 things a week and work for a month to only get to the point where they remember the fingerings. They are ready for guitar/piano.

Nice, very well put.
One other thing and as a word of caution. I live in a state where many parents have their kids doing some form of musical instrument or another. Hours and hours are spent learning. Basic results? Good playing and a good case of carpal tunnel syndrome in their wrists. Be sure that your kid(s) are doing some form of excercise that will strengthen the muscles, tendons in the wrists if they are going to be doing something like this for days on end.

Latest Discussions