Her Indoors…

Gyakuto124 133

Grandmaster
Supporting Member
After a 30 year hiatus my other half has thrown herself back into Shotokan Karate! I don’t know who’s more excited, me or her. She represented her country in various Asian championships when her University studies were interrupted for three years by a ridiculous military coup and she was a regular champion in the kata division.

I’m really keen to coach her ‘peripherally’ but have do restrain myself from interfering too much. I’ve suggested stretching, using a wobble board and generally relaxing in her practise to enhance overall fluidity, but otherwise I just encourage her. I’ve also bought her a couple of books that I think she’ll find enthusing: ‘The Best of Dave Lowry: Karate Way Columns 1995 to 2005’ and ‘The Karate Way: Discovering the Spirit of Practice’ again by Dave Lowry ; I like his controversial presentation of very good ideas.

Christmas presents are really easy this year: a silk Tokaido blackbelt for when she’s permitted to wear one again, and a good heavyweight, canvas Karategi. She seems to favour lighter dogi but we all know the heavier the better! 😑
 
After a 30 year hiatus my other half has thrown herself back into Shotokan Karate! I don’t know who’s more excited, me or her. She represented her country in various Asian championships when her University studies were interrupted for three years by a ridiculous military coup and she was a regular champion in the kata division.

I’m really keen to coach her ‘peripherally’ but have do restrain myself from interfering too much. I’ve suggested stretching, using a wobble board and generally relaxing in her practise to enhance overall fluidity, but otherwise I just encourage her. I’ve also bought her a couple of books that I think she’ll find enthusing: ‘The Best of Dave Lowry: Karate Way Columns 1995 to 2005’ and ‘The Karate Way: Discovering the Spirit of Practice’ again by Dave Lowry ; I like his controversial presentation of very good ideas.

Christmas presents are really easy this year: a silk Tokaido blackbelt for when she’s permitted to wear one again, and a good heavyweight, canvas Karategi. She seems to favour lighter dogi but we all know the heavier the better! 😑
That's great to hear and very inspiring. My school recently had a sensei return after a 17 year hiatus. He is a nice guy and has been relearning a lot of the techniques. I'm sure your wife will do great and get right back into the swing of things. Congratulations to her!
 
That's great to hear and very inspiring. My school recently had a sensei return after a 17 year hiatus. He is a nice guy and has been relearning a lot of the techniques. I'm sure your wife will do great and get right back into the swing of things. Congratulations to her!
She watches Youtube videos of kata all day 🙄 She uses my Premium account and never offers to pay a penny towards the subscription fee😕
 
Excellent! So does she pay any house bills? My wife usually covers our cable bill, and sometimes pitches in towards the electric.
Everything’s split down the middle despite her making four times as much as I ever did! I do sit on my **** all day, though 🤔
 
Everything’s split down the middle despite her making four times as much as I ever did! I do sit on my **** all day, though 🤔
Well I suppose that's fair. Does she work as a nurse or doctor? I'm going with doctor if she is making four times what you make. Then again, my wife is a doctor of music and I make more than her 🤔
 
Well I suppose that's fair. Does she work as a nurse or doctor? I'm going with doctor if she is making four times what you make.
Well I could’ve earned £100 a month and a nurse would make much more than that! Yes, she’s a haematologist leukaemia specialist in particular.
Then again, my wife is a doctor of music and I make more than her 🤔
Oh wow, a fantastic speciality. Academic musicologists always seem to like weird music; does she? I had a brief stint of researching brain and music and really enjoyed it.
 
Well I could’ve earned £100 a month and a nurse would make much more than that! Yes, she’s a haematologist leukaemia specialist in particular.
Wow, okay so that makes sense. That's a lot of years of school. Has she been working in the field for a long time?
Oh wow, a fantastic speciality. Academic musicologists always seem to like weird music; does she? I had a brief stint of researching brain and music and really enjoyed it.
She's a pianist that plays classical and works for a ballet. In addition she also teaches students. Her piano skills are quite impressive. She started playing young.
 
Wow, okay so that makes sense. That's a lot of years of school. Has she been working in the field for a long time?

She's a pianist that plays classical and works for a ballet. In addition she also teaches students. Her piano skills are quite impressive. She started playing young.
I had a girlfriend who attended the Athens Conservatoire (I think) and would play my digital piano for me so beautifully and in a state of undress 😐 I pressed ‘record’ once and have her (piano) performance preserved for posterity.

She’s a neuropsychologist now and a dear friend.
 
I had a girlfriend who attended the Athens Conservatoire (I think) and would play my digital piano for me so beautifully and in a state of undress 😐 I pressed ‘record’ once and have her (piano) performance preserved for posterity.

She’s a neuropsychologist now and a dear friend.
Wow! I'm jealous. My wife has never played for me in a state of undress. Can't say I blame you for recording such a special musical performance! Good to hear you're still friends.
 
What brand? Tokaido, also?
Ha ha! That peaked your interest, opr1945!

There seems to be a trend for dōgi to, inexplicably, have long front/back panels so they look like one is wearing an apron/miniskirt! 🤷🏾
IMG_4678.webp

IMG_4677.webp

She doesn’t like that ridiculous look (and neither do I) and, unfortunately, Tokaido seem to have adopted that fashion trend so she’s still looking. She’s quite particular in her choices (she doesn’t like anything expensive) so I bought her a £20 Kabuki dōgi from Ebay; she’s had one in the past and like it although the one that arrived this week isnt as ‘canvassy’ as her old one. It’ll do for now until she finds a really nice one I can buy for her. We don’t usually buy each other Christmas present so it’ll be a surprise for her.

I wanted to present her blackbelt in a nice keepsake wooden box but just couldn’t track one down. I didn’t find a cardboard version with a ‘Kitsune’ on it. It’ll do
 
Ha ha! That peaked your interest, opr1945!

There seems to be a trend for dōgi to, inexplicably, have long front/back panels so they look like one is wearing an apron/miniskirt! 🤷🏾
View attachment 33612
View attachment 33613
She doesn’t like that ridiculous look (and neither do I) and, unfortunately, Tokaido seem to have adopted that fashion trend so she’s still looking. She’s quite particular in her choices (she doesn’t like anything expensive) so I bought her a £20 Kabuki dōgi from Ebay; she’s had one in the past and like it although the one that arrived this week isnt as ‘canvassy’ as her old one. It’ll do for now until she finds a really nice one I can buy for her. We don’t usually buy each other Christmas present so it’ll be a surprise for her.

I wanted to present her blackbelt in a nice keepsake wooden box but just couldn’t track one down. I didn’t find a cardboard version with a ‘Kitsune’ on it. It’ll do
Mine is much shorter than that. It looks like the one in the picture is almost going to the guy's knees.
 
Back
Top