Limb Destruction

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy did not initially give out his phone number and address. But then there was Google!
Varjamusti, You and This Joy/Joi fella must be close? You seem to know a lot about him?

Third person?

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a tough crowd here. You can take any video and critique it to your heart's content, but that critique isn't usually realistic in my opinion.

The critiques I smile at the most are the "but you're open for a double leg, your open for a left hook, you're open for a yada yada" Well, yes, you're open for anything, any time and under any circumstance. That's what makes fighting interesting to watch and often painful to engage in.

It seems as if the critics feel that the person posting the vid only knows that technique and no others. Like that's the only thing they'd ever do in a fight.
As for the "compliant partner" thing, what the heck else is someone supposed to do to demonstrate something? True, there's a certain compliancy that's not realistic, like throwing a punch and holding an extended arm out there for thirty seconds while the other guy dances around and plays the drums on your head. But if you use a completely non compliant partner all you're going to have on video is two guys banging each other around until someone gets something in. Oh, ya, like that's fun to watch.

I love all the vids posted. And every one I watch I try to see something I can use, change, think about, talk about or watch out for if I'm on the defense.

I hope you guys keep posting them.
See I didn't watch the video and think wow that's all you got. You're doing it wrong. You should of did this or that. My response or agreement with Joy's original comment is or was... Ok great another demo with a compliant partner. Which is great. I hope he keeps posting vids. I understand he's posting instructional type videos. Which is fine. I'd just like to see more videos with resisting opponents . Maybe at least with, light to medium pressure. Maybe with some aggression. That's what I think is missing in the vast YouTube Wing Chun video library.

And to be fair, I have never seen Joy put a video up. Or do I really think videos are necessarily an accurate gauge of a persons ability. I have found a better gauge of ones skill is, to actually get off ones rear end, and if possible, actually meet and interact with people FTF.

Tough crowd? All I know is Jake is a nice guy and a great person! And all comments by Jake should be liked or agreed with.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Varjamusti, You and This Joy/Joi fella must be close? You seem to know a lot about him?

Third person?
---------------------------------
One time I looked at the mirror and a mysterious empty force crumpled Joi

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
---------------------------------
One time I looked at the mirror and a mysterious empty force crumpled Joi
I just googled Joi . Its a bad word in Cambodian . I was expecting something nice and wonderful. No, bad very bad word. Cambodians are probably reading this thread and thinking what the F!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm reposting the OP in the hope that we might get back to relevant discussion. The technique demonstrated here just happens to be shown from chi sau. That is the training tool. We have exactly the same technique in Goju Karate. We practise it from Kakie (Goju's version of sticky hands). I fail to see where 'compliant partner' is relevant. If I throw a backfist hard and fast to the head, my opponent will instinctively block or get hit. If he gets hit I have a chance to hit again, if he blocks the arm is stationary and easy to capture.

To me this technique is 'bread and butter' basic. It is simple and doesn't rely on any complex movement. In training you can position yourself wherever you like. In fighting your feet will go where your feet need to be.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I tool a second look.. Liked it better the second time

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That would be this clip:

And, actually I have used variations of all these with with success, but in application it's important to flow directly into the attack. The "limb destruction" is incidental. The real point is to establish a bridge and follow through striking to center according to the principle that, "attacking hand is defending hand."

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like this video better. I like the shoulder technique since there's an actual disruption, Or momentary pause or jolt to the opponents structure. Which in real time allows you to get ahead of the count/timing. My only "criticism" which really isn't much. Is that the fak sao and even the guan sao can have that energy. Matter fact every time there is contact it should be present. Now this is something I can't even do every time . But it's something I'm constantly trying improve upon. I beleive it's forward energy with fa jin. My current teachers have this and every time they touch me, my legs buckle or I feel it in my back and I loose balance. This to me is why I love KungFu. Funny thing is one of the teachers that does this really well doesn't even do kung fu. So obviously this energy is also found in other arts and is high level. This is why I consider myself a martial artist and don't care to claim one style or the other. Cause at the end of the day it's all same same. It's MMA. My Martial Art.

Last edited:

r'n'r

White Belt
Reaction score
The idea of attacking a limb is good, but unnecessary in this context IMO. You could strike straight to the head with the hand you're using to attack the arm because your other arm is already pulling his down and out of the way. But I don't see much application for this particular one outside of a chi sao context; you're on the inside and having both of your hands down leaves you exposed, if only for a second.

I personally like 'limb destructions' and hard blocks.Takes the fight out of people quickly without hurting them much.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
The idea of attacking a limb is good, but unnecessary in this context IMO. You could strike straight to the head with the hand you're using to attack the arm because your other arm is already pulling his down and out of the way. But I don't see much application for this particular one outside of a chi sao context; you're on the inside and having both of your hands down leaves you exposed, if only for a second.

I personally like 'limb destructions' and hard blocks.Takes the fight out of people quickly without hurting them much.

I agree hard blocks take the fight out of many people..Wing chun does not do much limy distruction you see it more in styles like Hung Gar, Bok Mei , Choy Leer Fut and other southern styles.