Limb Destruction

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Speed and good sense of timing required. :) Fighters who know what they're doing immediately retract any outstretched limbs following a strike to keep things like this from happening.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems very similar to what is taught in most FMA classes. Destroy what is closed to you to get to your target
So is this generally taught in WC?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems very similar to what is taught in most FMA classes. Destroy what is closed to you to get to your target
So is this generally taught in WC?

It's basically a gaun sau

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 213

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
not really most Filipino arts teach one to destruct the nearest object eliminating that limb from the equation

True. And I'd agree that the way this was demonstrated looked a lot like FMA. I teach both Wing Chun and Eskrima and like many have observed before, there is considerable overlap.

Compared to some styles of FMA, WC puts very strong emphasis on efficiency and directness. We would never try for limb-destruction when we could hit directly to the core. But sometimes you can't get that direct shot. Also sometimes you can injure a limb as you attack the core, as in Yak's example of gaun-da sau. Essentially that's what's going on here too.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Speed and good sense of timing required. :) Fighters who know what they're doing immediately retract any outstretched limbs following a strike to keep things like this from happening.
Then I guess arts like BJJ,Judo,wrestling would ever work against someone who retract their limbs.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then I guess arts like BJJ,Judo,wrestling would ever work against someone who retract their limbs.

Anyone whos wrestled will tell you guys who keep the arms and elbows in and move are a pain to go against. When you need to reach, you tend to put yourself at a disadvantage

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What prevents him from striking you in the chest or face with the opposite hand in this demonstration?
I understand striking the tsubo point however when done as in this demo you have just committed both hands/arm to one limb and his opposite hand is completely free as well as your hand on that side is committed and low. Why not Jum on the tsubo point and strike with the opposite arm? That will also put an object in the way of any strike with the free arm.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What prevents him from striking you in the chest or face with the opposite hand in this demonstration?
I understand striking the tsubo point however when done as in this demo you have just committed both hands/arm to one limb and his opposite hand is completely free as well as your hand on that side is committed and low. Why not Jum on the tsubo point and strike with the opposite arm? That will also put an object in the way of any strike with the free arm.

You are of on his blind side though (or would be if at some stage you wanted to move your feet)

With a little cross step I reckon I could make that work and just crack his left hand down enough to (in my case) right cross him in the head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I of course would be retracting my own left hand as I strike to cover. But he has to strike with a mayday right hand across his body. So I know what is coming and it shouldn't be all that quick due to the distance travelled.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are of on his blind side though (or would be if at some stage you wanted to move your feet)

With a little cross step I reckon I could make that work and just crack his left hand down enough to (in my case) right cross him in the head.
But that is not what he showed or performed the moves.
As shown the opponent does nothing with the free arm and also doesn't move or do anything to reacquire the centerline.
We also look at most all moves as though it was vs an opponent with a weapon. This would fail badly vs a knife in the opposite hand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But that is not what he showed or performed the moves.
As shown the opponent does nothing with the free arm and also doesn't move or do anything to reacquire the centerline.
We also look at most all moves as though it was vs an opponent with a weapon. This would fail badly vs a knife in the opposite hand.

That is why I would tweak it so it works. The whole thing doesn't work if he stands square in front of the other guy. It turns into a hockey fight.

Latest Discussions