Limb Destruction

kung fu fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can do much with a very compliant partner in videos
I really don't get some of you guys, Mike took the time and effort to make a video and post it in the spirit of sharing his wck thoughts and you dump on him. From Now on If someone has a rebuttal to a video a member makes, my suggestion is they should make your own video and post it as to why you don't agree and offer your own take on the subject. This would be contributing and encourage much more productive threads.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really don't get some of you guys, Mike took the time and effort to make a video and post it in the spirit of sharing his wck thoughts and you dump on him. From Now on If someone has a rebuttal to a video a member makes, my suggestion is they should make your own video and post it as to why you don't agree and offer your own take on the subject. This would be contributing and encourage much more productive threads.

Your post is a rebuttal to the critique.

So video?

At least you are getting a response. Some good some bad. Within the response we have figured out that the limb destruction has to be coupled with footwork. So everybody is getting something out of the discussion.

Would you rather people pat you on the head and tell you you are a good boy?

Fine.

O.P that video was really good. You keep that up.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well. An apology might be nice. That would actually do the opposite and defuse the situation. ;-)
Really? Was saying "you can do much with a very complaint partner" that harsh? He just said what most of us were thinking after watching the video. He should apologize for calling Joy a Dumbass. Or better yet maybe everybody on here should do less chi sao. It's making everybody hypersensitive. That's why I advocate sparring. It makes you tough like real man! I agree with Mephisto for once. What's the world coming to? I don't think he could pull it off real time either. Not cause he sucks, just to risky. But kudos for putting a video up and putting yourself out there.

Disclaimer:
I do not take responsibility for my condescending or passive aggressive comments. Read at own risk!

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really? Was saying "you can do much with a very complaint partner" that harsh? ...maybe everybody on here should do less chi sao. It's making everybody hypersensitive.
rolling.gif

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
You like that huh? I'll be performing here all weekend!

Seriously though, No DTE this weekend. some jujitsu tournament everybody is going to. You should come down here Sat Steve? We can train together? I'm free all day. I PM'd you.

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You like that huh? I'll be performing here all weekend!

Seriously though, No DTE this weekend. some jujitsu tournament everybody is going to. You should come down here Sat Steve? We can train together? I'm free all day. I PM'd you.

It's a shame, but I'm working all day Sat., ...a 12 hour shift ...and most of Sun., then have my grades caught up an in by Wed. when I have to leave for Seattle. I'll be gone through the next weekend. Frankly things have been so crazy that I'm exhausted. I hope to get back with the DTE guys in a couple of weeks. Posting here is my only outlet. :(

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? Was saying "you can do much with a very complaint partner" that harsh? He just said what most of us were thinking after watching the video.

---Its much better than a passive-aggressive post to say you won't say anything! ;-)

He should apologize for calling Joy a Dumbass.

----Yes he should! That was an over-reaction and unnecessary. There is a "tone" taken in exchanges in a forum like this that was very predominant in that "other" forum. That "tone" is what we want to avoid here!

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really? Was saying "you can do much with a very complaint partner" that harsh? He just said what most of us were thinking after watching the video.

---Its much better than a passive-aggressive post to say you won't say anything! ;-)

He should apologize for calling Joy a Dumbass.

----Yes he should! That was an over-reaction and unnecessary. There is a "tone" taken in exchanges in a forum like this that was very predominant in that "other" forum. That "tone" is what we want to avoid here!

Imo my comments was a normal reaction. this is not the first time Joi has made very negative comments. About my videos. He simply is a troll and is looking to take cheap shots when ever he can. He thinks his wing chun does not stink and he has the special wing chun secret sauce. Where us his video..he never has produced anything but hot air..

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mike took the time and effort to make a video and post it in the spirit of sharing ...
A clip shows only one way to solve a certain problem. One can point out that there are many other ways to solve the "same problem". IMO, a "comparison" should be more fun for discussion than just "criticism".

There are many things that's interested for discussion the moment that your "right hand grab (or just a light touch) on your opponent's right wrist". When your right hand grab on your opponent's right wrist, you can use your left hand to strike on top of your opponent's elbow joint and then strike his face with your

- left hand (as shown by the OP's clip), or
- right hand (as shown by the following clip).

When your right hand grab on your opponent's right wrist, you can use your left hand to

- strike on top of your opponent's elbow joint and then ...
- push across your opponent's elbow joint and then ... (as shown by the following clip)

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Imo my comments was a normal reaction. this is not the first time Joi has made very negative comments. About my videos. He simply is a troll and is looking to take cheap shots when ever he can. He thinks his wing chun does not stink and he has the special wing chun secret sauce. Where us his video..he never has produced anything but hot air..
At least you own it.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
At least you own it.
Don't worry I'm not judging you. I took my vids down cause, I wanted to hunt down and hurt all the commenters who kept saying" that's not Wing Chun" on my youtube channel. That was my normal reaction at the time. Now I can careless. Everybody has an opinion. It's just funny how that opinion is louder online than it is in person.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a tough crowd here. You can take any video and critique it to your heart's content, but that critique isn't usually realistic in my opinion.

The critiques I smile at the most are the "but you're open for a double leg, your open for a left hook, you're open for a yada yada" Well, yes, you're open for anything, any time and under any circumstance. That's what makes fighting interesting to watch and often painful to engage in.

It seems as if the critics feel that the person posting the vid only knows that technique and no others. Like that's the only thing they'd ever do in a fight.
As for the "compliant partner" thing, what the heck else is someone supposed to do to demonstrate something? True, there's a certain compliancy that's not realistic, like throwing a punch and holding an extended arm out there for thirty seconds while the other guy dances around and plays the drums on your head. But if you use a completely non compliant partner all you're going to have on video is two guys banging each other around until someone gets something in. Oh, ya, like that's fun to watch.

I love all the vids posted. And every one I watch I try to see something I can use, change, think about, talk about or watch out for if I'm on the defense.

I hope you guys keep posting them.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let it go.I don't get personal. I generally call it as I see it and I try to get deeper in my understanding of wc. I don't discuss other hats that I may wear.. BTW who is Joi ?
As to what I do - some of it is in pictures and descriptions in my JAMA, IKF and Kung fu mag articles
listed on my website

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... BTW who is Joi ?

Dunno 'bout "Joi" but there's a ton of stuff out there about another guy named "Joy":

joyc.png

Chaudhuri.jpg
Joyotpaul Chaudhuri, PhD

Professor Emeritus Joyotpaul Chaudhuri has taught at eight public universities and was a Professor of Political Science at Arizona State University (1985-2003) before reaching Emeritus Professor status. He is also a past Associate Dean of Liberal arts and Sciences at ASU and an Acting Director of the Center for Asian Studies. He received his PhD at the University of Oklahoma (1964), BA from Central Oklahoma University (1958), ISc, from Calcutta University (1951), and High School diploma from Cambridge University as a student at St. Xavier's in Kolkata, India. His publications have been in the fields of political philosophy, comparative politics, and American Indian Studies.

...and this:

Tempe, AZ.
joychaudhuri.jpg
Joy Chaudhuri Fong's Instructor
E-mail: [email protected]

Phone number: (480) 966-XXXX
Web address: www.tempewingchun.com
Address: XXXX X. Margo Dr.
Tempe, AZ.

I took the liberty of redacting the home phone number, personal email and street address that appeared online. Heck. I wouldn't want to give my number to someone who calls me a dumbass troll. Ok, actually, I just might. But I'm a little wierd that way. :p

Reactions: KPM

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dunno 'bout "Joi" but there's a ton of stuff out there about another guy named "Joy":

joyc.png

Chaudhuri.jpg
Joyotpaul Chaudhuri, PhD

Professor Emeritus Joyotpaul Chaudhuri has taught at eight public universities and was a Professor of Political Science at Arizona State University (1985-2003) before reaching Emeritus Professor status. He is also a past Associate Dean of Liberal arts and Sciences at ASU and an Acting Director of the Center for Asian Studies. He received his PhD at the University of Oklahoma (1964), BA from Central Oklahoma University (1958), ISc, from Calcutta University (1951), and High School diploma from Cambridge University as a student at St. Xavier's in Kolkata, India. His publications have been in the fields of political philosophy, comparative politics, and American Indian Studies.

...and this:

Tempe, AZ.
joychaudhuri.jpg
Joy Chaudhuri Fong's Instructor
E-mail: [email protected]

Phone number: (480) 966-XXXX
Web address: www.tempewingchun.com
Address: XXXX X. Margo Dr.
Tempe, AZ.

I took the liberty of redacting the home phone number, personal email and street address that appeared online. Heck. I wouldn't want to give my number to someone who calls me a dumbass troll. Ok, actually, I just might. But I'm a little wierd that way. :p

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Joy did not initially give out his phone number and address. But then there was Google!