Left Leg Kicks

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I noticed something last night. When I kick with my right leg I have alot of power, accuracy, and speed. However, when I kick with my left leg, I look like a retard rushing to try and hump a door knob. I expect there to be some difference, but definitely not this much. How can I pick up the power, accuracy, and speed with my left leg? I don't expect them to be the same, but I do expect it to be a little closer.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
roflmao, thanks for the visual! :D

Anyhow. People are one sided. I bet you are right handed.

So am I and the left is my weak side to boot. It's been covered before, because it's a common problem. You just have to do more on the left.

Personally I try to do the left side first, while I am still fresh and can make sure the technique is as close to perfect as I can muster (because perfect training makes perfect) The I try to add a few more of everything to the left. If I do 15 kicks, I try to do 20 on the left. Same with punches, because my arm is not any better.

You can do what we call 'focus kicks' at our school. You hold on to the wall or door frame and perform sets of anywhere from 10 to 20 (as you progress) of any kick in a slow/medium speed, without setting the foot down. if you do it right you will feel muscles you never knew you used for kicking!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, Granfire's pretty much answered your question.

Once you get enough reps in on your "bad" leg, it will stop feeling and looking awkward.

So get those reps in! :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I noticed something last night. When I kick with my right leg I have alot of power, accuracy, and speed. However, when I kick with my left leg, I look like a retard rushing to try and hump a door knob. I expect there to be some difference, but definitely not this much. How can I pick up the power, accuracy, and speed with my left leg? I don't expect them to be the same, but I do expect it to be a little closer.

Everyone has some techniques that work better on one side of the body, and some that work better on the other. For me - in general; there are exceptions - I have more power with my right leg and more flexibility with my left leg. This often (but not always) has to do with left/right dominance. I am right handed, and am more likely to rest my weight on my right leg than my left leg when I am standing casually and not thinking about it - so my right leg is stronger. Because it is marginally less muscular (from not being leaned on) my left leg is more flexible - so I have different strengths with each leg.

There will always be the "good" leg and the "other" leg - the only way to change that is to practice more on the leg that is the "other" leg - and, of course, most people don't want to practice things that are hard; they want to practice things that are fun - so most people only practice hard things on the "good" leg (or arm, or whatever body part you're referring to) - and the "other" side doesn't get better.

Remember, too, that practice doesn't make perfect - perfect (meaning correct) practice makes perfect.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... so I have different strengths with each leg.

There will always be the "good" leg and the "other" leg

That's a great point, Kacey.

I was going to mention that while I also have (I like way Kacey puts it!) "good leg" and "other leg" for some kicks (still!), the right leg isn't always the "good leg."

It really depends on the kick.