Are you better with different legs for different things?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't that much. Most boxers kickboxers etc. Don't bother that much. Generally considered not with the effort.

I aim to be ambidextrous so that I don't limit myself too much but I usually favor the right back stance (right leg back) but will switch stance often when sparring. My choice of stance will depend on how my opponent is standing, what block, strike or kick or grappling technique I want to do, whether I want to be defensive or offensive etc. For example if both my opponent and me are in a right back stance and I want to do a turning kick, I will usually kick towards his blind side, which in this case for a rear leg kick would be my right leg, so it is harder for him to see my kick. If I want the kick to be a bit quicker I might change stance and kick with my front (right) leg or just do a hook kick (which is always easier with the front leg than the back leg) with the front leg (left leg in left back stance) instead. Most of my kicks and hand techniques are about the same with either side except for a few like the ones I mentioned earlier. In a self defence situation there might not be time to switch stance to a more favorable one so I might be stuck with whatever stance I am in at the time so it pays to be good with both sides whenever possible.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't that much. Most boxers kickboxers etc. Don't bother that much. Generally considered not with the effort.

That could be viewed as one of the differences between training for a sport and training for self defense.

While being ambidextrous is not an absolute necessity, it is certainly preferable, as much as possible.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That could be viewed as one of the differences between training for a sport and training for self defense.

While being ambidextrous is not an absolute necessity, it is certainly preferable, as much as possible.
On the other hand, given the time, it is always best to start with the right foot forward; so, you may just make it a habit in your daily life. :)

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say don't practice un-useful stuff, "practice all you want", I am saying it is un-useful.
Sean

A properly applied technique for your non dominant side is "Un-useful"? Let me rephrase this so in layman's terms. I kick the "bad guy" in the balls is he going to care whether I use a dominant leg or not? Maybe you find that concept of equilateral training "un-useful" I find it practical.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it interesting to watch fights in movies and note what leg is used. I liked Van Damme movies when I was young, and now notice the spinning hook kick or helicopter kick is always the right leg. Similarly for Michael Jai White.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I just assumed switching was a tkd thing.

There is a ,mostly factor. I do move in and out of stance and there is cross stepping. but the switch just seems unnecessarily complicated for me. I would try to fight in a stance that gives me the best possible advantage. Rather than train to try to make two stances work when one will do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it interesting to watch fights in movies and note what leg is used. I liked Van Damme movies when I was young, and now notice the spinning hook kick or helicopter kick is always the right leg. Similarly for Michael Jai White.

Yeah it is not at all uncommon.

I think bill Wallace only had one side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think bill Wallace only had one side.

True. It was due to injuring the right knee and no longer being able to kick with the right. But he said that while everyone else might practice each leg 10000 times, he practised the left leg 20000 times, and it's better to have 1 really good weapon than 2 mediocre weapons.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A properly applied technique for your non dominant side is "Un-useful"? Let me rephrase this so in layman's terms. I kick the "bad guy" in the balls is he going to care whether I use a dominant leg or not? Maybe you find that concept of equilateral training "un-useful" I find it practical.
Sure it is practical to be able to kick with either foot, but you don't readily switch dominance, like in the Movie, "The Princess Bride". That is what we call fiction, and fantasy. :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or you end up with an injury on the "preferred" side? .

Left was better then blew the ACL so right was better. Blew right ACL, then left was better. Left torn cartilage removed then right was better. Right torn cartilage was removed then left was better. Left hip replaced and both got better:)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
True. It was due to injuring the right knee and no longer being able to kick with the right. But he said that while everyone else might practice each leg 10000 times, he practised the left leg 20000 times, and it's better to have 1 really good weapon than 2 mediocre weapons.

Which is just the general method for a lot of systems even without the injury.

If you are getting dominated in the stance you are comfortable with. Slipping into a stance that you are less proficient at may not be the answer you are looking for.

Now my coach does switch stance a bit. But then he is tricky. Which I am not.

I will never out tricky the guy. I will get smashed trying to match games. The best answer is to fall back into tighter classical striking.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which is just the general method for a lot of systems even without the injury.

If you are getting dominated in the stance you are comfortable with. Slipping into a stance that you are less proficient at may not be the answer you are looking for.

Now my coach does switch stance a bit. But then he is tricky. Which I am not.

I will never out tricky the guy. I will get smashed trying to match games. The best answer is to fall back into tighter classical striking.

So it sounds like you're saying your coach is "tricky" because he's done what some of us are advocating and spent the time and effort needed to become proficient with both sides.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So it sounds like you're saying your coach is "tricky" because he's done what some of us are advocating and spent the time and effort needed to become proficient with both sides.

I am saying he is tricky because he fights unorthodox. So switching works for him.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am saying he is tricky because he fights unorthodox. So switching works for him.

So your coach and I agree that it's good to become proficient with both sides of the body. :)

You should give it a try. Maybe you, too, can be tricky.

Certainly there are people who simply cannot function with both sides - Bill Wallace was one, as others have mentioned, because his right knee simply would not allow him to use that side. We have a student who has had a knee replacement, and he certainly has physical limitations on what he can do with that leg that may prevent him from ever becoming proficient with it. But he's trying, and he'll be as good as he can, within the limitations imposed by his circumstances.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So your coach and I agree that it's good to become proficient with both sides of the body. :)

You should give it a try. Maybe you, too, can be tricky.

Certainly there are people who simply cannot function with both sides - Bill Wallace was one, as others have mentioned, because his right knee simply would not allow him to use that side. We have a student who has had a knee replacement, and he certainly has physical limitations on what he can do with that leg that may prevent him from ever becoming proficient with it. But he's trying, and he'll be as good as he can, within the limitations imposed by his circumstances.

No he disagrees that is sort of the point. Just because he does something does not mean it is good for everybody. Same as I am not saying never to switch

It is called the Anderson Silva rule.

My boxing coach is short and infights. He does not try and make me do that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No he disagrees that is sort of the point. Just because he does something does not mean it is good for everybody. Same as I am not saying never to switch

It is called the Anderson Silva rule.

I guess I just don't understand why he'd do something but not teach that skill to others. The more tools in your toolbox...

My boxing coach is short and infights. He does not try and make me do that.

That is also something I would encourage. You don't always get to choose the range, so it's good to be as proficient as possible at all ranges.

I don't see any reason not to pursue versatility.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I just don't understand why he'd do something but not teach that skill to others. The more tools in your toolbox...

That is also something I would encourage. You don't always get to choose the range, so it's good to be as proficient as possible at all ranges.

Because the way he fights is not necessarily a good way to train. He gets away with it. I think a good coach can Taylor the martial art to the individual a bit.

My classic striking can handle unorthodox switching. So I don't need to match games so much. I can just focus on better classical.

Same with short coach. Range fighting won't work for him but will work for others.

It is not that one method is more right or more wrong (sort of there are some glaring don't do that moments) but what works for the person.

I don't want to fight their fight so much as fight mine.

We also have a whole heap of authodox southpaw stuff that goes on. But it is more how to deal with that than match it.

I think we are inbuilt with a dominant side. And are trying to take advantage of that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because the way he fights is not necessarily a good way to train. He gets away with it. I think a good coach can Taylor the martial art to the individual a bit.

My classic striking can handle unorthodox switching. So I don't need to match games so much. I can just focus on better classical.

Same with short coach. Range fighting won't work for him but will work for others.

It is not that one method is more right or more wrong (sort of there are some glaring don't do that moments) but what works for the person.

I don't want to fight their fight so much as fight mine.

We also have a whole heap of authodox southpaw stuff that goes on. But it is more how to deal with that than match it.

I think we are inbuilt with a dominant side. And are trying to take advantage of that.
I think the best we can hope for is to make it matter less that we need to use the other side, but it will always be less safe than simply taking measures to get the foot forward you want forward. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the best we can hope for is to make it matter less that we need to use the other side, but it will always be less safe than simply taking measures to get the foot forward you want forward. :)

Yeah. I do switch out with technique so I will switch kick and cross step. But I think that is different to changing from left to right.

I switch do the technique and then reset the stance. Which I would have called still one side. And like the op sort of says he might have a kick that only goes one way.

So I am left foot forwards. I would not step and spin left. I would spin right because its a bit shorter. But if a right round kick misses I may spin out of that.

What it kind of of means though is my left kick becomes jab like and my right cross like. So I am throwing different kicks depending on the leg

Last edited:

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

My point exactly.