Leg Work

Well Im don't really have any tips, but I tried out some jump squats and they killed my legs, lol. They are now part of my workout routine.

When I started my Martial training My legs were especially strong from being a cyclist. If you live in a semi-hilly area I would suggest taking up cycling. My legs never got weaker as I grew up. Stairs use the same muscles but riding with friends in real streets going real places and using a computer to see how your speed has always been the best way to improve the calf. Try riding every weekend for at least 50 miles, or an 80 mile week is good. Just make sure you are pushing yourself to the point of dying. Uphill with experienced riders is the best motivator. Don't ride alone. It never works.

tongsau said:
Try riding every weekend for at least 50 miles, or an 80 mile week is good. Just make sure you are pushing yourself to the point of dying. Uphill with experienced riders is the best motivator. Don't ride alone. It never works.

That's good advice for an experienced cyclist, but for someone who's less in shape, I don't think they'd want to start with 50 miles. More like 10-15, and build up to 50 from there.

Tongsau,

Do you find that being a cyclist has helped, hurt, or had no effect on your lower body flexibility?

Miles

Miles said:
Tongsau,

Do you find that being a cyclist has helped, hurt, or had no effect on your lower body flexibility?

Miles

I woudn't exactly call myself a cyclist as I stopped during the first year of training. I would say no effect on my flexibility during the time.

BTW I started with a 50 mile weekend. I don't mean all at once but to be dependant on the bike your miles add up. 4 miles there 2 miles here.
Anyone can do a 20 mile ride. Apart from injuries and age. With cycling speed and endurance of maintaining that speed is the issue. Simply keeping up the mileage regardless of speed. Just know that I am recommending something that takes a lot out of you. An Anaerobic pace ultimately. The more you ride the more you realize that 50 miles in 2 days is not that bad. 80 mile week might be more peoples pace. You could simply go to the gym and ride the stationary bike for 13-16 miles a day but you don't get the same workout as you do on the street.

Fearless,

In regards to a previous post (i know this is way late)...you asked about the retraction exercises.

Retractions are not so much intended to strengthen the thrusting muscle groups of the base leg. They do however greatly assist in the speed in which you can get the kicking leg in motion. They assist in getting the kick chambered and also the speed with which the kick is retracted (all important principles in the kicking process).

Another exercise is one you may already be doing. When jumping rope, jump on one foot at a time while holding the other out front of the base leg. This will be preformed using the calf and the push of the toes to propel the body upwards!

TAEKWON!
SPooKeY

TigerWoman said:
I started doing calf raises too. And squats...although everything I've read, is that those with dubious knees should not go below 90° nor knee beyond toes. We used to just do bouncing for five minutes- that builds up calves too but is harder on knees. Resistance bungee cords are what we used in a class last week with partners. Really tires you out with fewer kicks. TW
this is a myth, deep squats strenghten knees and are often used in re-habilitation.

wynnema said:
this is a myth, deep squats strenghten knees and are often used in re-habilitation.
Linkage? That's interesting, because I was also under the impression that deep squats were harmful to knee joints. Or at least, that shallow squats were more forgiving to knees.

Any Squat (or lunge for that matter) will tear up your kness if done wrong/ What is wrong. Weight droppibg into your toes or the balls of your feet. All the stress goes straight into the kneecap area

Well I've personally been doing squarts for over twenty years and have seen no downfall to my knee's. I believe they help build the strenghth of one's knees myself.
Terry

I have found a book that covers total body conditioning for our application (MA). Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey. What I like most is that there is NO equipment required. If anyone would like, I can post the ISBN.

terryl965 said:
Well I've personally been doing squarts for over twenty years and have seen no downfall to my knee's. I believe they help build the strenghth of one's knees myself.
Terry
Kai's key word being "improperly". You're right, if done correctly, they can be a great conditioner for many years. If not, you can tear yourself up pretty quick. I've done squats to a sitting position for many years but stayed away from deep squats. I got into a heated debate once over deep squats. It ended up that the person I was debating with's evidence backed my claim more than his. Everything I've read pointed to limiting deep squats as an advanced excercise for well conditioned muscles. Rehab? Yes, sometimes, but there again, only as an advanced excercise.

Henderson said:
I have found a book that covers total body conditioning for our application (MA). Combat Conditioning by Matt Furey. What I like most is that there is NO equipment required. If anyone would like, I can post the ISBN.
I'd like to check it out. PM the ISBN to me if you don't mind. Thanks.

Henderson said:
Sorry guys. After consulting the book again, I find there is no ISBN. As I PM'd Gemini, the only info available was the authors website..... www.mattfurey.com

although there is some useful stuff in Furey's publications the majority can be found free on the web. You will find that he is more concerned with marketing his other products than anything else.

Latest Discussions

Back