Learning your kata with both hands?

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you know your kata or whatever your discipline calls it with both hands?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the most part, any move done in a kata with one hand is done with the other hand either in the same kata or a different one. If a move isnt, it's easier to me to practice that move separately with the other hand then relearn an entire kata for little gain.

We do something similar to multi-step sparring which don't have equal movements on both sides. Those I will practice wth both hands, though not nearly as often as I should.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part, any move done in a kata with one hand is done with the other hand either in the same kata or a different one. If a move isnt, it's easier to me to practice that move separately with the other hand then relearn an entire kata for little gain.

We do something similar to multi-step sparring which don't have equal movements on both sides. Those I will practice wth both hands, though not nearly as often as I should.
All the forms I've ever used were practiced starting from both sides. They didn't necessarily incorporate both hands in the same form, so we simply repeated them starting from the other side.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's what I have been doing. Some of them feels weird doing them on the other side.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I have been doing. Some of them feels weird doing them on the other side.
Possibly because the first side is your dominant side, so anything done on the other side feels odd for a while. Of course, if you've trained them a while on one side, starting the other side will always feel strange.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's kind of odd. I'm right hand and I fight southpaw. Some of the stuff I'm comfortable with doing on my left I'm not comfortable doing with my right and some of the stuff I'm comfortable doing with my right I'm not comfortable doing with my left. You would think I would comfortable with only one side.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would be normal...most all people have different attribute levels from one side compared to the other. Working both sides should also give you a higher level of understanding of the movements. How you apply the moves from one side compared to the other may well be different because of the differences in those attributes.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's kind of odd. I'm right hand and I fight southpaw. Some of the stuff I'm comfortable with doing on my left I'm not comfortable doing with my right and some of the stuff I'm comfortable doing with my right I'm not comfortable doing with my left. You would think I would comfortable with only one side.
Find out your eye dominance and take it from there. Weak eye to the front.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Find out your eye dominance and take it from there. Weak eye to the front.
I boxed for two years back in the 90's. I have been a southpaw for almost 20 years. I don't box anymore, but he got the heavy bag for cardio.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Canada, as in other countries, the Nage No Kata is a requirement for belt testing in judo, from yellow belt onwards. everything in the Nage No Kata is done on both sides.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you

- shoot your hand gun by both hands?
- play tennis by both hands?
- write with pen by both hands?
- eat with fork by both hands?

Train technique on both sides:

PRO: You can use technique on both sides. Your body will be developed equally on both sides.
CON: Instead of making one side 100% effective, you make your both sides 50% effective.

IMO, you should train your

- "general techniques" on both sides, but
- "door guarding techniques" on one side only.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you

- shoot your hand gun by both hands?
- play tennis by both hands?
- write with pen by both hands?
- eat with fork by both hands?

Train technique on both sides:

PRO: You can use technique on both sides. Your body will be developed equally on both sides.
CON: Instead of making one side 100% effective, you make your both sides 50% effective.

IMO, you should train your

- "general techniques" on both sides, but
- "door guarding techniques" on one side only.
With the gun? Yes. For the same reason as training both sides with martial techniques: what if something's wrong with my dominant hand?

And, no, you don't reduce your strong-side effectiveness by 50% when training the weak side.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious, why weak eye to the front?
I imagine he fights south-paw because he only likes to use his right hand, which is his set up, but most right handed people use the left to set up, and their bread and butter shot (rear hand), is best is you line it up with your dominant eye, like bowling or throwing a ball; so, that put your good eye to the rear, as well..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine he fights south-paw because he only likes to use his right hand, which is his set up, but most right handed people use the left to set up, and their bread and butter shot (rear hand), is best is you line it up with your dominant eye, like bowling or throwing a ball; so, that put your good eye to the rear, as well..
So, since I'm left-eye dominant, in a boxing setup you'd suggest right-hand forward?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd always assumed the choice would be more based on hand dominance. Is this a common approach?

Note: We don't set up consistently either way in NGA - we prefer to match the attacker's stance, and change freely to match the situation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I'd always assumed the choice would be more based on hand dominance. Is this a common approach?

Note: We don't set up consistently either way in NGA - we prefer to match the attacker's stance, and change freely to match the situation.
This is the approach you take for precision. It is the side you see out of. Otherwise, you are cross glancing. Or you can see the bowling lane next to you better than you can aim on your own.

Latest Discussions