Learning to take strikes

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whilst I am all for learning to absorb strikes, by taking them, but the video in the link is not how its done, the 2 adults (especially the male), is a clear indication of not how to do it, with a child student.
Opinions, and does anyone know these clowns.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whilst I am all for learning to absorb strikes, by taking them, but the video in the link is not how its done, the 2 adults (especially the male), is a clear indication of not how to do it, with a child student.
Opinions, and does anyone know these clowns.

The video seems to have been removed. Have you got another source?

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Followed it seems ok to me

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just checked the youtube channel @kapapacademysg video kenneth's initiation into kapap brotherhood, and cannot find it, but it involved 2 adults, 1 male 1 female, punching the crap out of a kid, with a headguard on, who was about 12. They continually struck him for about 1 mins, mainly head shots, and the male was putting too much into the punches for a boy, when time was called, the lad slumped to the floor.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't do facebook so I can't see the vid.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a police officer I see that as child abuse conveniently disguised as training.

As a Martial Artist that video gave me such a rush to beat those two a-holes within an inch of their worthless, bullying lives.

Man, that tics me off.

D

Deleted member 39746

Just going to be neutral, to be fair to the video makers, the context isnt fully there. it is written as a intiuation which means it should be a one off thing, thats all the context i know. In terms of, the only thing i see it as is a inituatiation tradtion and the person is claimed to be 12(?). I dont know what country it is, if its a child of the instructor, if its a "confidence" test just captioned as a initiation etc etc. Consent is also not covered in the video.

In terms of hitting people, the only two/three issues would be: Age,quantity and power. for quantity, by it being captioned as a inituation tradtion, it seems to be a one off thing they do. Cant comment on if they got any injuries or severty of them afterwards.

Also, i wouldnt put it down to "learning to take hits" its more of a toughness test. Many places do many diffrent things out of tradtion for if somone gets a certain belt, wants to be a instructor etc etc.

By the way DONT mark that as support for said actions, its just a neutral analysis of facts.

Just to reiterate something there, i dont know all the facts here, the only thing going off is,a apaprnt child of unknown age is goign through a 27 second blitz defence. I dont know about the teacher etc.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just going to be neutral, to be fair to the video makers, the context isnt fully there. it is written as a intiuation which means it should be a one off thing, thats all the context i know. In terms of, the only thing i see it as is a inituatiation tradtion and the person is claimed to be 12(?). I dont know what country it is, if its a child of the instructor, if its a "confidence" test just captioned as a initiation etc etc. Consent is also not covered in the video.

In terms of hitting people, the only two/three issues would be: Age,quantity and power. for quantity, by it being captioned as a inituation tradtion, it seems to be a one off thing they do. Cant comment on if they got any injuries or severty of them afterwards.

Also, i wouldnt put it down to "learning to take hits" its more of a toughness test. Many places do many diffrent things out of tradtion for if somone gets a certain belt, wants to be a instructor etc etc.

By the way DONT mark that as support for said actions, its just a neutral analysis of facts.

Just to reiterate something there, i dont know all the facts here, the only thing going

Dude. Shut up.

You try and come off like some high authority on martial arts. You know nothing. You've read some articles. Articles you don't have the training to fully comprehend. You've taken some classes and never gotten past a basic level in any martial art. Normally, it's not too big of a deal, because it's easy to point out the holes in your logic and the flaws in your training.

But now you've crossed the line. You're trying to apply your basically non-existent experience to judge whether or not something is child abuse. Experienced martial artists and police officers are correctly identifying this as child abuse, and you're sitting here trying to say it's okay.

This is toxic. It is incredibly toxic. It is a poison to the martial arts community. Parents want to know that their kids are going to be safe in martial arts. That's the #1 question I see asked by parents is "is it okay for my kid to learn this martial art, or will they get hurt learning it?" And you're sitting here advocating for a training regimen where the kid could quite easily get a concussion.

Kids are easily pressured into doing things they shouldn't do, or things that are bad for them, because they lack experience and judgment. This is why age of consent laws exist. This is why waivers are signed by parents, and not the kids. If you take a kid who respects you and tell them you're going to beat them so they can prove they're tough - they'll stand there and take the hits, the bruises, the concussion - because they'll want to prove they're tough. Kids are impressionable and easy to manipulate, which is why so much scrutiny goes into those that take care of kids. This is why any organization that works with kids needs to do background checks on their employees and volunteers. It's why martial arts schools have rules about instructors not being alone with a student.

You're coming into this thread with no training in domestic violence, virtually no experience in martial arts training, no experience in medicine or law. And you're trying to play devil's advocate for what is quite clearly child abuse. Why? So you can appear more enlightened than the experts? This time, you've gone too far. Your posts here are quite often dangerous, but this is probably the most dangerous one yet.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One day a guy walked into my school. He picked up a dumbbell from the ground. He then smashed on his head and said, "This is what I do everyday.". He then challenged me to spar him with punching only (no kick, no throw). After the sparring, he left and I have not seen him since then.

I do think to tough your arm and leg is important.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude. Shut up.

You try and come off like some high authority on martial arts. You know nothing. You've read some articles. Articles you don't have the training to fully comprehend. You've taken some classes and never gotten past a basic level in any martial art. Normally, it's not too big of a deal, because it's easy to point out the holes in your logic and the flaws in your training.

But now you've crossed the line. You're trying to apply your basically non-existent experience to judge whether or not something is child abuse. Experienced martial artists and police officers are correctly identifying this as child abuse, and you're sitting here trying to say it's okay.

This is toxic. It is incredibly toxic. It is a poison to the martial arts community. Parents want to know that their kids are going to be safe in martial arts. That's the #1 question I see asked by parents is "is it okay for my kid to learn this martial art, or will they get hurt learning it?" And you're sitting here advocating for a training regimen where the kid could quite easily get a concussion.

Kids are easily pressured into doing things they shouldn't do, or things that are bad for them, because they lack experience and judgment. This is why age of consent laws exist. This is why waivers are signed by parents, and not the kids. If you take a kid who respects you and tell them you're going to beat them so they can prove they're tough - they'll stand there and take the hits, the bruises, the concussion - because they'll want to prove they're tough. Kids are impressionable and easy to manipulate, which is why so much scrutiny goes into those that take care of kids. This is why any organization that works with kids needs to do background checks on their employees and volunteers. It's why martial arts schools have rules about instructors not being alone with a student.

You're coming into this thread with no training in domestic violence, virtually no experience in martial arts training, no experience in medicine or law. And you're trying to play devil's advocate for what is quite clearly child abuse. Why? So you can appear more enlightened than the experts? This time, you've gone too far. Your posts here are quite often dangerous, but this is probably the most dangerous one yet.

And this is what is wrong with martial arts. Instead of being able to argue the topic or even Mabye self reflect on how your training may present as similar.

People hear something they don't like and just go off on an emotional rampage.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And this is what is wrong with martial arts. Instead of being able to argue the topic or even Mabye self reflect on how your training may present as similar.

People hear something they don't like and just go off on an emotional rampage.

I am not going to apologize for outrage against child abuse and its enablers. I have no intention of changing my opinion on the subject.

You are also being a massive, MASSIVE hypocrite. Any time a technique or method is discussed that you don't agree with, there is no self-reflection. You just bash without mercy.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two adults pounding on a kid who is trapped up against a wall. Yeah. That's child abuse, not training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how your training may present as similar.

We don't allow head shots with children full stop so no, not similar, not even on the same planet. We don't video them training either, child protection.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just to reiterate something there, i dont know all the facts here, the only thing going off is,a apaprnt child of unknown age is goign through a 27 second blitz defence. I dont know about the teacher etc.
doesn't matter if it's a 1 off, a toughness test or consent given. It's wrong plain and simple. It's child abuse a bunch of ego fuelled idiots trying to act tough by beating up a kid and probably manipulating said kid imto believing it's good for him.

there's literally no way to justify scummy actions like that. Not a single one

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not going to apologize for outrage against child abuse and its enablers. I have no intention of changing my opinion on the subject.

You are also being a massive, MASSIVE hypocrite. Any time a technique or method is discussed that you don't agree with, there is no self-reflection. You just bash without mercy.
And has to tell us all how great Mma and bjj is