Last Poster #7

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carbon dating is most accurate for samples less than 50,000 years old. Uranium-thorium dating is best for samples less than 1 million years old. Uranium-lead dating is best used for samples 1 million to 4.5 billion years old.
It doesn’t make sense since the earth is only about 4000 yrs old.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread has me confused. Fortunately, I’m drinking fine brandy as I read it, with just a touch of Maui’s finest.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
90 degrees Fahrenheit and humid
Great day for walking around Beijing and the forbidden city….. not

I’m exhausted

Note about the Forbidden City.
18 years ago you walked up to the front and bought your ticket and walked in. And you pretty much had the run of the place. However you could not go into many if the halls. But you could look in them.
And when done you could exit thr same way you went in. Also no limit on how many could go in. And in all honesty there were not that msny people by comparison to today.

Today. You need to buy a ticket 7 days in advance, online. And when they become available they tend to sell out in minutes. After that no more are sold for thst day.

You need to go through a police check, bsgs are put through X-ray and you are searched. Also either need Chinese ID or passport. Which matches to your ticket

Go to main entrance, repeat the police check with search snd ID all over again

Also, you no longer have the run if the place. Yiu need to buy tickets separately to see different sections.

To get into the separate areas you may or many not be subject to another search. But you idea matching to ticket purchase is required

You cannot see into as msny halls

And you absolutely cannot leave by the same gate you went in.

And it was very crowded

On the upside, some of the main gates have ramps over the thresholds. And some of the okd stairs have newer sets built over them. But don’t let this fool you, it is absolutely not handicapped accessible.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carbon dating is most accurate for samples less than 50,000 years old. Uranium-thorium dating is best for samples less than 1 million years old. Uranium-lead dating is best used for samples 1 million to 4.5 billion years old.
That sounds correct from what I have studied. When you get into the millions or years or especially 100's millions of years, there is a Lot of supposition and assumption.
Theory is just that.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I’m exhausted

18 years ago you walked up to the front and bought your ticket and walked in. And you pretty much had the run of the place. However you could not go into many if the halls. But you could look in them.
And when done you could exit thr same way you went in. Also no limit on how many could go in. And in all honesty there were not that msny people by comparison to today.

Today. You need to buy a ticket 7 days in advance, online. And when they become available they tend to sell out in minutes. After that no more are sold for thst day.

You need to go through a police check, bsgs are put through X-ray and you are searched. Also either need Chinese ID or passport. Which matches to your ticket

Also, you no longer have the run if the place. Yiu need to buy tickets separately to see different sections.

To get into the separate areas you may or many not be subject to another search. But you idea matching to ticket purchase is required

And it was very crowded

On the upside, some of the main gates have ramps over the thresholds. And some of the okd stairs have newer sets built over them. But don’t let this fool you, it is absolutely not handicapped accessible.
90° and humid. Just a regular to cooler day in the south.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds correct from what I have studied. When you get into the millions or years or especially 100's millions of years, there is a Lot of supposition and assumption.
Surely Geologists/palaeontologists use other isotope decay other than C14, to corroborate their dates. Potassium 40 isotopes have a half life of 1.28x10^9 years for example. C14 is is useful because it it taken in by life but so is K+, Ca2+ and many more
Theory is just that.
A theory is a idea supported by a large body of evidence. A theory is not ‘just an idea’. This is the mistake muggles make when they say, ‘oh, it’s only a theory’.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Surely Geologists/palaeontologists use other isotope decay other than C14, to corroborate their dates. Potassium 40 isotopes have a half life of 1.28x10^9 years for example. C14 is is useful because it it taken in by life but so is K+, Ca2+ and many more

A theory is a idea supported by a large body of evidence. A theory is not ‘just an idea’. This is the mistake muggles make when they say, ‘oh, it’s only a theory’.
Have you every peeled back the layers even further? How is it C14 concluded or that Potassium 40 has a half life of 12.8x10^9 years? That is where much supposition and assumption occurs as well.

Electricity is in reality a theory. It has never been directly proven. But we use it every day and apply the theory to a very high degree of proof.
There are finite ways to apply proof to a method or object. No matter how much indirect or applied evidence we may have.
Most of my life has been in the STEM field(s). But I am so much of a realist instead of a theorist that I get skeptic when the math cannot be completed without plugging in even one made up or assumed variable.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you every peeled back the layers even further? How is it C14 concluded or that Potassium 40 has a half life of 12.8x10^9 years? That is where much supposition and assumption occurs as well.
You suggesting K40‘s and C14’s half life is a supposition? That is a belief held without proof or certain knowledge?
Electricity is in reality a theory. It has never been directly proven. But we use it every day and apply the theory to a very high degree of proof.
Did you read the definition of a theory I gave above? A theory is a idea supported by a large body of evidence. Scientists use the word theory because there’s always a chance…however unlikely…that a piece of evidence will emerge that requires the original hypothesis to be modified or completely overhauled. Fossils of rabbits in the precambrian as J.B.S. Haldane once said.

The word ‘theory’ should not be allowed to be used by people without higher degrees in the sciences, because it causes confusion and allows flat earthers to exist.
There are finite ways to apply proof to a method or object. No matter how much indirect or applied evidence we may have.
Most of my life has been in the STEM field(s). But I am so much of a realist instead of a theorist that I get skeptic when the math cannot be completed without plugging in even one made up or assumed variable.
Then it’s probably a good thing you’re no longer in STEM as you’d find it very unsatisfying! 😅 That variable is randomly assigned. It an estimation based upon other data and when further data becomes available, it will be modified, pushing us inexorably toward the truth.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

I’m exhausted

And it was very crowded

Holy moly!

I loved the Forbidden City when I went, was so cool! And yeah pretty sure we were just able to walk in after ticket and no fuss (this was about 22 years ago). Sheesh how things have changed :O

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Holy moly!

I loved the Forbidden City when I went, was so cool! And yeah pretty sure we were just able to walk in after ticket and no fuss (this was about 22 years ago). Sheesh how things have changed :O

Even the summer palace has separated areas out with separate tickets. One ticket covered all 18 years ago. But the security was much less stringent at the Summer Palace.

But one advantage for me, 18 years later, at the summer palace, that did not apply at the Forbidden City. I got into everything at the Summer Palace for free 😊 because I’m old. The good ole Senior citizen discount.

Same at all the temples went to and the great walL geezerdom has its advantages

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not overly great still... feel horrible but I can definitely feel slight improvements. Just keep crashing so it's hard to tell if there's progress.. but I think I am getting there, just very, very slowly. Thanks for asking mate
Hope you feel better soon. Like i said, when i had covid it was basically a bad cold. And as much as i hated being sick, i like the vacation from work

Tried posting that before but posting from China has its drawbacks. A while lotta lag when ut comes to posting and edt

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not overly great still... feel horrible but I can definitely feel slight improvements. Just keep crashing so it's hard to tell if there's progress.. but I think I am getting there, just very, very slowly. Thanks for asking mate
Have you tried homeopathy/crystal therapy/shamanic sweat lodges/traditional Chinese Medicine? No? Good, they won’t help!

I think you’ll suddenly start recovering, but at the moment, the virus has a good hold of your cellular protein synthesis factories! Rest, drink and eat plenty!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I can’t be 100% sure, but i think there is a Klingon hotel in Beijing…. Out walking the other day i passed the Koplak hotel

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pineapples are the best. Followed by the blue java banana. Tastes like ice cream.
Yeah, pineapple is awesome. The grocery store I go to sells them with strawberries and watermelon. It's great.

---

On a side note I got free lychee berries yesterday. I was gonna buy a bag. The last bag. It was open and I was curious like should it look almost empty and the worker was like "oh its okay, its sold by the pound" and I'm like okay, cool.

I walk off and a guy tells me he'll look in the back for more. Got a new shipment. Couple minutes later, no new lychee berries but he gave me a bag with a note that said free samples. That was pretty cool. I didn't like the pit. Nasty. I wasn't expecting a pit. Turns out you shouldn't eat that. They taste good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, pineapple is awesome. The grocery store I go to sells them with strawberries and watermelon. It's great.

---

On a side note I got free lychee berries yesterday. I was gonna buy a bag. The last bag. It was open and I was curious like should it look almost empty and the worker was like "oh its okay, its sold by the pound" and I'm like okay, cool.

I walk off and a guy tells me he'll look in the back for more. Got a new shipment. Couple minutes later, no new lychee berries but he gave me a bag with a note that said free samples. That was pretty cool. I didn't like the pit. Nasty. I wasn't expecting a pit. Turns out you shouldn't eat that. They taste good.
LYCHEE NUTS!!!!! Not berries captain

Latest Discussions