Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Three rather idiotic highway construction issues, the first 2 occurred on the same highway, in the same day, with in minutes of each other.

1) Right lane closed ahead
>>everyone goes to left lane
>>Left lane was actually closed

2) a little further down the road
>>right 2 lanes closed ahead
>>Its a 2 lane highway

3) last night, right lane closed, just before exit
>>right lane was actually closed
>>lots of flood lights, facing down, illuminating the work site
>>except one flood light aiming directly at the windshield of any car trying to use the exit
>>I was blinded, as I was trying to use the exit

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
December is upon us. What do you guys do for the holidays? Traditions? Foods you like to eat? I'm making about 200 pfefferneuse with my youngest this afternoon, which is my favorite cookies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
December is upon us. What do you guys do for the holidays? Traditions? Foods you like to eat? I'm making about 200 pfefferneuse with my youngest this afternoon, which is my favorite cookies.
Normally for christmas, I have a pretty tight schedule.

Christmas Eve: Go to one relatives for lunch, then another for dinner. Then go to church (or avoid it) christmas eve at midnight. Go to sleep around 1AM.
Christmas Day: Wake up in the morning, go to mom's house (or stay over after church night before), wait for brother to get there, open presents. At noon drive to my MIL's house, and get there 2-3 hours later. Hang out with them, eat lunch, exchange gifts, then at 4 drive an hour to take MIL to one of her families house. Have dinner there, after dinner drive another hour to the other side's house for dessert. Hang out there until 10/11. Occasionally later. Drive the hour or two back to her house, to drop her off. Then drive 2 more hours back to my apartment, so I can go to work in the morning. (driving would be split between me and wife)

But this year..nothing. My parents are driving to florida to meet their family, they'll stop by my apartment for a day/night along the way sometime the week after. That's it. I can't wait.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have had large shutdown installs for the last 20 years. Barring no problems, they take 10-12 days. This year is no different. My family is great about bring Christmas dinner to the crew. She said it would be honey baked ham this year.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Normally for christmas, I have a pretty tight schedule.

Christmas Eve: Go to one relatives for lunch, then another for dinner. Then go to church (or avoid it) christmas eve at midnight. Go to sleep around 1AM.
Christmas Day: Wake up in the morning, go to mom's house (or stay over after church night before), wait for brother to get there, open presents. At noon drive to my MIL's house, and get there 2-3 hours later. Hang out with them, eat lunch, exchange gifts, then at 4 drive an hour to take MIL to one of her families house. Have dinner there, after dinner drive another hour to the other side's house for dessert. Hang out there until 10/11. Occasionally later. Drive the hour or two back to her house, to drop her off. Then drive 2 more hours back to my apartment, so I can go to work in the morning. (driving would be split between me and wife)

But this year..nothing. My parents are driving to florida to meet their family, they'll stop by my apartment for a day/night along the way sometime the week after. That's it. I can't wait.
A quiet christmas sounds nice. We do a lot of feeding folks. Everything revolves around food. :D Our adult kids go elsewhere for christmas eve, and so our big celebration is on the day of.

But between now and the end of December, I'll probably bake 500 cookies with the kids and roast about 35 lbs of coffee to give to friends and family. It's also the only time of year I get to make beef wellington and the kids and I always make a yule log on Christmas day. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have had large shutdown installs for the last 20 years. Barring no problems, they take 10-12 days. This year is no different. My family is great about bring Christmas dinner to the crew. She said it would be honey baked ham this year.
That sounds awesome. What sort of work do you do? I'm not sure what a shutdown install is.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a somewhat large immediate family. Between us, we have 10 kids, their various spouses, and 17 (last time I counted...) grandkids.
We host the holiday meals and gift exchanges. Each one is usually a 2-3 day thing, by the time everyone who can come does. One kid (and family) is 15-16 hours away, but the others all live within a few hours.

This year, I shot our Thanksgiving turkey myself.

Scared the crap out of the other folks at Safeway...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, man, I looove a good pfefferneuse!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice! Usually lunch at mum and dad's, but my aunt is holding lunch this year. Loooots of food usually, and can be quite an exhausting time, but should be nice.

We also have had a maaaassive floating Christmas tree put up at our waterfront the last few years (it floats out on the water on a platform) and it does a light + music show, so we'll go down to see that at some stage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was so distracted by the thought of pfefferneuse that I forgot to reply to the main point.

Most years, my dad is in town for a couple of weeks around Xmas, so we spend most of it with him - usually with a visit to my mom on Xmas eve. This year, my dad is staying in WY, so we'll probably go to my mom's for whatever family gathering is happening. It's usually hard to guess whether there will be 6 of us, or 20.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee's birthday was this last weekend.

Apparently there's a new study out that he probably died of kidney dysfunction.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Combining Chinese (Beijingren) and western (NE USA) Christmas thinking(which has always been harder than it sounds) and having family home for Christmas.... as well as the oldests significant other....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Lee's birthday was this last weekend.

Apparently there's a new study out that he probably died of kidney dysfunction.
Yeah something to do with drinking too much water or something... but don't know the full story!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah something to do with drinking too much water or something... but don't know the full story!
Yeah it's pretty crazy that doctors are still analyzing this but seems legit.

Never knew about his previous kidney injury but it makes sense given his physical fitness when he died...these types of organ failure issues really are hidden killers.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just completed Horizon: Zero Dawn on the PS4 (I know it came out years ago and the sequel is out now, but hey I'm okay with being well behind!). EPIC, EPIC game. Rich, complex story and amazing scenery, depth, game play and just... everything. I love the juxtaposition and intertwining coexistence of the "old" tribal world and the futuristic world of machines. Fascinating. Highly recommended.

Latest Discussions