Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He probably got burned out with students arguing, and finding students with promise that he'd put effort into helping just drop out suddenly. Especially with the 'if you are just here because your parents make you, get out' line.

Not excusing, just explaining. And good news is he must have realized if he retired 2 years after that. Bad news is he didn't realize (or take action) earlier.
I just about wonder if he did not deliberately cripple the program, so folks would miss him and his successful program after he retired.

I mean, the man was already well into retirement age. The burnout should have happened a long time ago.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just about wonder if he did not deliberately cripple the program, so folks would miss him and his successful program after he retired.

I mean, the man was already well into retirement age. The burnout should have happened a long time ago.
My guy not knowing anything passed what you said is no. I'm of the impression most people who build something, either eventually just want nothing to do with it and to move on, or are invested and hope it succeeds after them. Not many where they actively want to cripple their own legacy.

And burnout hits everyone at different times.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My guy not knowing anything passed what you said is no. I'm of the impression most people who build something, either eventually just want nothing to do with it and to move on, or are invested and hope it succeeds after them. Not many where they actively want to cripple their own legacy.

I mean, he could have just walked away at any time. He had his time in and then some.
It makes no sense.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
what would make a guy do this:
a couple of years before my kid graduated the band director told kids in the beginner class 'if you are just here because your parents make you, get out'
after that, the 6th grade band was smaller than the 7th grade class.
This was a man who spent at least 40 years of his professional career building marching bands.
He retired like 2 or 3 years ago, basically leaving his successor a wrecked program.

One of the 'kids' who marched when my kid started out works at a local retailer. She said 'I was at one game, it was too sad what happened to the band to go back'
I wish I would have had a ticket for the 2 billion powerball.
I would have given the school a chunk of money to take this man's name of the band room! There was a graduate from the school who actually went on to accomplish more than 'just' teaching music. He is a composer and a nice fellow.
I find it inexcusable to turn kids away from music, especially at the middle school age, when they should try as many things as they can.
My 12th grade school counselor, during the "college meeting #1" scheduled for 30.... after I sat down...looked at me and the first thing he said was thus..."I think you need to accept that no everyone is cut out for college"....

I said nothing, got up and walked out....30 minutes became 2 rather quickly.. never went back for another scheduled college meeting, nor did I ever inform him I was not gong to show up..... I'm guessing he did not approve of my long hair and leather jacket..... oh and I went to and graduated college too....I also hung out with a lot of bikers in my youth...so maybe he was not entirely wrong...just mostly

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

For the record that was supposed to be my guess not my guy.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reddit amazes me sometimes, especially the martial arts community there. Guy posts that his 12 year old is getting a black belt from an MMA school, and he wants to know where to send his kid next as he feels its a mcdojo and his kids ready to move on. Nothing about what the kid wants. Nothing about either of their goals.

Almost every response is either making fun of him for sending his kid to a mcdojo, or recommending one of the 'core' MMA styles, again with knowing absolute nil about what the kid himself wants. He's old enough he can't go there anymore, but not old enough to decide his hobbies for himself?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
cooking a test turkey tomorrow. Also planning to test some thanksgiving cocktails. I think it may be a very productive day. Or possibly a very unproductive day. Depends I guess on whether I focus more on the turkey or the cocktails. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reddit amazes me sometimes, especially the martial arts community there. Guy posts that his 12 year old is getting a black belt from an MMA school, and he wants to know where to send his kid next as he feels its a mcdojo and his kids ready to move on. Nothing about what the kid wants. Nothing about either of their goals.

Almost every response is either making fun of him for sending his kid to a mcdojo, or recommending one of the 'core' MMA styles, again with knowing absolute nil about what the kid himself wants. He's old enough he can't go there anymore, but not old enough to decide his hobbies for himself?
Dad doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need to stop taking naps in the middle of the day on the weekends. I end up with too much energy after, staying up til 3am, and exhausted on sundays.
I've had that issue before. Not much of a night owl these days (not really good for your health), but i found that if I kept my naps short they didn't keep me up later.

There's a sweet spot for proper nap length, esp if you want to avoid sleep inertia (headache etc from napping), typically set you alarm for just 30-40m max. I never do long naps anymore and find nowadays sometimes even lying down and breathing deep for about 20-30m, I feel rested without even falling asleep, similar to meditation.

Broke that rule last yesterday, slept in really late, couldn't find sleep until 5am, now I'm hurting...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've had that issue before. Not much of a night owl these days (not really good for your health), but i found that if I kept my naps short they didn't keep me up later.

There's a sweet spot for proper nap length, esp if you want to avoid sleep inertia (headache etc from napping), typically set you alarm for just 30-40m max. I never do long naps anymore and find nowadays sometimes even lying down and breathing deep for about 20-30m, I feel rested without even falling asleep, similar to meditation.

Broke that rule last yesterday, slept in really late, couldn't find sleep until 5am, now I'm hurting...
I don’t nap often, but when I do I set an alarm for 15 minutes. Any longer and I am worse off than without it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I take a nap, I try to set my alarm for 30-40 minutes. What happens though, is the alarm goes off and I'm tired. So I turn it off or set it later. Then, like this weekend, I wake up and 3 hours have gone by.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When I take a nap, I try to set my alarm for 30-40 minutes. What happens though, is the alarm goes off and I'm tired. So I turn it off or set it later. Then, like this weekend, I wake up and 3 hours have gone by.
I have to be careful about drinking coffee after 3 or so.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked nights for 40 years. I took power naps all the time. Usually on the commute home.

Latest Discussions