Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We went to see Bullet Train this weekend. It seems to be going for a sort of Guy Ritchie-esque style vibe that doesn't always work (though to be fair, Guy Ritchie is a little hit and miss, too). The plot is hopelessly complex and the storytelling is pretty heavy handed.

But I still enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a mess, but a glorious mess. Some of the humor fell flat, but there were some laugh out loud moments, too. Very violent, so won't be for some, along the lines of a John Wick movie.

The through line are questions about luck, good and bad, and fate.

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. Worth a watch, though you might not want to spend $12 to see it in the theater.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, the KKW standard is time in grade equal to that grade. So 1 as 1st, 6 as 6th, etc.
That's interesting. Seems like an arbitrary way to do it, but then anything is. So 45 years minimum to become 10th dan?

It still seems crazy to me that at 18, someone could reach 3rd dan in an art, with having taking multiple multi-year long breaks before each test. And yeah, I know kkw is just one portion of TKD. But it's the biggest, so it's reputation is what spreads. And most people, MA's or not, if they hear tkd that's what they're picturing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fun little project this weekend. My wife found some stained glass windows that fit perfectly in our living room. Nothing too fancy, but we've been looking for something to give us a little privacy so when we watch TV we can't see into our neighbor's upstairs bedroom. And vice versa. My simple job was to frame them in and make it look like they belonged there. I am very happy with how they turned out. My cat down there didn't care.

IMG_1566.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mostly for @_Simon_ , but maybe others are interested, as well. I cracked open the first bag of the Colombian honey process coffee from Aponte. Very tasty, if I do say so myself. :)

Best I can tell, the recommendation is to charge at a lower temp and extend the roast, so that's what I was going for. I think a good first effort. This was the third of three lbs I roasted last weekend.

IMG_1568.jpg

1660578050269.png

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. Seems like an arbitrary way to do it, but then anything is. So 45 years minimum to become 10th dan?
Kukkiwon 10th Dan is an honorary posthumous rank, so...

1 year to 1st = 1.
1 more to 2nd = 2
2 more to 3rd = 4
3 more to 4th = 7
4 more to 5th = 11
5 more to 6th = 16
6 more to 7th = 24
7 more to 8th = 31
8 more to 9th = 39 years to reach 9th Dan.

The KKW has an arbitrary age limit for high Dan rank as well. I don't have every detail memorized, because it's never been common for us to issue KKW rank. And we never do Poom ranks. However, if memory serves, you need to be 58 for 9th Dan.

I do not believe there is a specific limit set on Poom ranks. But there is specific mention that a 4th Poom candidate must be under 18. So if we assume a 4th Poom at 14, at 18 the student would be eligible for promotion to 5th Dan. At 23, 6th Dan. So by 44 they would be eligible for 9th Dan, except for the arbitrary age limit for adult ranks.

Yes, the idea of a 14 year old Master, or a 29 year old Grandmaster is ludicrous, to most of us. But it's the KKW, so the KKW gets to set their rules.

For our part, we view 'time in grade' as a guideline, not a rule.
It still seems crazy to me that at 18, someone could reach 3rd dan in an art, with having taking multiple multi-year long breaks before each test. And yeah, I know kkw is just one portion of TKD. But it's the biggest, so it's reputation is what spreads. And most people, MA's or not, if they hear tkd that's what they're picturing.
I know you're aware. I was referring to the general population. I've certainly had students who took breaks in their training. You can bet they didn't come back and test right away.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The JWST is blowing the top off of what we think we know about the universe. More than gorgeous pictures.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The JWST is blowing the top off of what we think we know about the universe. More than gorgeous pictures.

I have to disagree. Mayim Bialik would never have done any hosting on Jeopardy if that were the case.
And I suppose Howard Wolowitz never went to space, either?

(Maybe that should have gone in the Most Controversial Opinions thread. Sorry.)

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Yeah and I suppose NEXT you'll tell us the moon is NOT made out of green cheese and that the sun DOESN'T orbit the earth :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Living where I do is kind of nice, but has some downsides. One of which keeps popping up now that people are traveling agin.

People I haven't spoken with in thirty or forty years, and who I was never really close to in the first place, are suddenly traveling here and reaching out to me to hook up, maybe show them around the island.

Yeah, no.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mostly for @_Simon_ , but maybe others are interested, as well. I cracked open the first bag of the Colombian honey process coffee from Aponte. Very tasty, if I do say so myself. :)

Best I can tell, the recommendation is to charge at a lower temp and extend the roast, so that's what I was going for. I think a good first effort. This was the third of three lbs I roasted last weekend.

View attachment 28783

View attachment 28784
Ohh fantastic mate! Looks great! Yeah honey processed can require a bit more attention just from my experience. I never really played around too much with charge but just preheated to keep the internal temp relatively consistent throughout the year's seasonal changes (I roast outside). Very exciting, hoping it continues to be fruitful!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fun little project this weekend. My wife found some stained glass windows that fit perfectly in our living room. Nothing too fancy, but we've been looking for something to give us a little privacy so when we watch TV we can't see into our neighbor's upstairs bedroom. And vice versa. My simple job was to frame them in and make it look like they belonged there. I am very happy with how they turned out. My cat down there didn't care.

View attachment 28781
Oh that's beautiful... LOVE stained glass windows..

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just because it's simply been far... FAR too long since zombies have been discussed.. here ya go! It's happening!

Oh... wait wait... no.. it isn't... *sigh audibly*...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Here is one for the IT folks on the site

After being flatly turned down by the finance folks of the state side of the house, User goes to corporate side finance and request software that cost roughly that amount you would pay for a Mercedes Benz, midlevel, e-class. They say...okie dokie.... note this was never run past IT at all.....

So now I get an email and low and behold it has been purchased, when can we install....let's have a meeting.......
Meeting this morning

Well..... now it's my turn...as to when can we install...

After we purchase 3 new rather powerful PCs, since the required OS will not run on and PC we currently own
Upgrade the servers, to accomodate
Change Antivirus and firewall policies
set up and apply new OS policies, since this stuff will not run on and OS we currently run

end with...this is why you should run all software purchases past IT before purchasing..... lastly the drop the mic moment...and leave

Now folks are scrambling to figure out how to buy the stuff they now need to run this software

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As a teenager working as a barista, I never could understand why they put so much whipped cream in my nitrous oxide canisters. :D

You know, the way the law is written, less than 21 you can walk down the street eating whip cream straight out of the can, shooting it right into your mouth.... but you can't go into a store and buy any when you run out

Last edited:

Latest Discussions