Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, last Saturday I replaced the chicks my vicious weenie dog killed.
And it seems like it has been raining since (should have gotten ducks).

And I still have to build their 'grown-up' enclosure (the store bought one is a complete bust. Don't buy prefab without reading the ratings, especially the 1* ones.
I just hope the rain lets up before they forget how to lay eggs. (they are about 2 weeks old I guess)

last night I mixed their feed with warm water (it's been cold) and it was funny to watch the little peeps storm the bowl. One ended up in the middle of it, with both feet in the trough! Silly birds.

When I got up I saw some sunlight, but now it's back to gray and windy.
I wonder if I can return them for ducks?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's a morning, for sure. Made sure I told my 13 year old that I love her before she walked to school because in America, there is no guarantee she will survive the day.

Last night, my daughter said something like, 'Dad, I know it's hard, but don't worry. I am on it. We know what to do, if anyone tries anything."

And that makes me even sadder.

The fact that my youngest school magna locks every exterior door and you need a special card to get in helps, but I fully understand where you are coming from

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The fact that my youngest school magna locks every exterior door and you need a special card to get in helps, but I fully understand where you are coming from

we are turning schools into high security facilities....what a sad statement here.
I went to a predominately black high school. One of my friends I've known since then whose kids go to that same school, said about the idea of adding armed police presence to the schools, "Great, now I have TWO things to worry about."

Adding armed police to high schools doesn't make everyone feel more safe.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I went to a predominately black high school. One of my friends I've known since then whose kids go to that same school, said about the idea of adding armed police presence to the schools, "Great, now I have TWO things to worry about."

They already have them in some schools in NYS...so far so good...I'm hoping they work as a deterrent...

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if it makes them feel safe. It matters if it actually makes them safer. The TSA is a prime example. They make a lot of people feel safer flying. It's doubtful that they actually make anyone safer. In one test, they missed a whopping 95% of the simulated weapons. Lots of hair pulling and angst ensued and promises to improve. One the most recent test I found, they did improve. This time they only missed 70% of the weapons.

The idea that "we have to do something" is widespread. And wrong. We have to do something that will actually make a difference. Anything else is just wasted time, money, and effort.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if it makes them feel safe. It matters if it actually makes them safer. The TSA is a prime example. They make a lot of people feel safer flying. It's doubtful that they actually make anyone safer. In one test, they missed a whopping 95% of the simulated weapons. Lots of hair pulling and angst ensued and promises to improve. One the most recent test I found, they did improve. This time they only missed 70% of the weapons.

The idea that "we have to do something" is widespread. And wrong. We have to do something that will actually make a difference. Anything else is just wasted time, money, and effort.
Would they, though? I admire your confidence.

Regarding doing something that will make a difference , I agree though I’m pretty sure we have different things in mind.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

seeing that they seem to wait around til actual cops show up, useless like a teat on a bull.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would they, though? I admire your confidence.

Regarding doing something that will make a difference , I agree though I’m pretty sure we have different things in mind.
there are many things that need to be done.
A different approach might not necessarily be wrong.

Unless it's based on bacon.
I am pretty sure that won't work.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
there are many things that need to be done.
A different approach might not necessarily be wrong.

Unless it's based on bacon.
I am pretty sure that won't work.
Definitely a different approach is necessary. More guns though? No. I don’t believe so. Guns are the problem, not the solution. In my opinion. And that’s the last I’ll say about it here.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In NYS, they are actual police
This is the 2nd school shooting where a 'real cop' reportedly waited outside.
Seems it took an hour for the border patrol officer to make it to the school.
I forgot (!!!) which of the other shootings it was. Parkland? I don't know. The actual Police officer at the scene waited.

So a lot of good that does.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I came across this again, had not seen it in a long time.... but it did make me laugh, and I think we all may need a laugh these days.... so...

dcc973b7bcaa562266a83984fab9d480.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is the 2nd school shooting where a 'real cop' reportedly waited outside.
Seems it took an hour for the border patrol officer to make it to the school.
I forgot (!!!) which of the other shootings it was. Parkland? I don't know. The actual Police officer at the scene waited.

So a lot of good that does.
Okay I lied. One more point. :)

A cop at school and more guns is an emotional response. It feels good (to some). But to speak to dd’s point, it’s an illusion of safety.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we should have some sort of rule where once a thread reaches 50 post count, everyone participating has to make their next post explaining what their viewpoint is without responding to someone else.

Otherwise everyone just goes around and around and around for 100 more posts with no actual communication occurring.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I was younger I had 3 motorcycles, first was. Harley Davidson SXT 125. Later came a Yamaha Seca 750, then a BMW R100RT....... I have not had a motorcycle in about 25 years..... almost got a Harley Davidson Sportster a few years ago.... but I meant and Married Mrs Xue..... Found myself in a Harley dealer this morning....looking at a Low Rider.... sat on it....and it felt real good to feel like myself again.....going to have to think about getting me a bike again....A Harley Low Rider or a Fatboy......

Latest Discussions