Last Poster #7

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to the MD. Just looking at the x-rays, my left knee looks worse than my right, but the right was bothering me more so we did the right. But the left may be in my future, actually it will be in my future, just as long as the right straightens out and starts working as advertised. But the MD also took x-rays of my hips, because the right is bothering me from time to time. He feels tat there are hip replacements (yup both) in my future. I had my prior Orthopedic doc tell me the same thing a few years ago, I was destined for a hip replacement, but he was only talking the right at that time.
Does your new knee make 'noises'? Mine pops and knocks worse than it did before the surgery.
Standing is SO much better. Walking, a little better. I have great range of motion and can squat down (with pain) but it still feels weird to place weight on the knee cap.
My left leg is, complicated so I am happy with where I am. Hoping the right knee is more routine.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If everyone got the vaccine and wore a dang mask when appropriate, we could be over this virus in 3 months.
Herd immunity. Yea, I know it sounds crazy and outdated. However, look at the data of the northeast and European countries.
Facts do not lie. The media does.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know that this is off topic a bit (though this thread has no actual topic), but just a little about herd immunity, the vaccine helps a lot. Data (aka facts) suggest that folks who have recently recovered from Covid lose a lot of their resistance after about 90 days. Last I heard, the recommendation is if you are recently recovered from Covid, to wait until toward the end of that 90 day window to get vaccinated, to extend your immunity.

Pfizer and Moderna resistance lasts about 8 months-ish, though there is more information all the time.

It's also very clear that folks who are vaccinated have much higher chances to avoid long term health effects or serious complications.

So, herd immunity is right on. That's the goal. But if you say "herd immunity" and don't understand the role vaccines play in that effort, you don't understand herd immunity and should question your sources.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that this is off topic a bit (though this thread has no actual topic), but just a little about herd immunity, the vaccine helps a lot. Data (aka facts) suggest that folks who have recently recovered from Covid lose a lot of their resistance after about 90 days. Last I heard, the recommendation is if you are recently recovered from Covid, to wait until toward the end of that 90 day window to get vaccinated, to extend your immunity.

Pfizer and Moderna resistance lasts about 8 months-ish, though there is more information all the time.

It's also very clear that folks who are vaccinated have much higher chances to avoid long term health effects or serious complications.

So, herd immunity is right on. That's the goal. But if you say "herd immunity" and don't understand the role vaccines play in that effort, you don't understand herd immunity and should question your sources.
You are perfectly describing the ensuing problem. Are you saying people should get vaccinated every 8 months? Because some people will, some people already have.
Overuse is exactly how resistance to drugs begins. Studies support that natural resistance is much more effective than synthetics. Approved or not we are using a vaccine that does not have a proven track record. This in undeniable.
No person can fully explain the wide variability in how this virus affects people. However, the data for 2019-2021 and possibility beyond will always be skewed. Tracing is virtually non-existent.
Look at the total death number for 2018, 2019, & 2020. They are not all that different.

Your latter quote is the ONLY reason I am getting vaccinated. The data does support lessening affects if a person catches the virus.
I have had direct exposure several times so far with no affect. My wife, who has a very different makeup and her own 'pre-existing' conditions has had more exposure than me. Thankfully, neither of us has had an issue.
That is not to say we have not been sick. Remember, getting the crud and getting covid are exclusive, not inclusive as the media wants everyone to believe.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Does your new knee make 'noises'? Mine pops and knocks worse than it did before the surgery.
Standing is SO much better. Walking, a little better. I have great range of motion and can squat down (with pain) but it still feels weird to place weight on the knee cap.
My left leg is, complicated so I am happy with where I am. Hoping the right knee is more routine.

It does not make noise, but I feel thing on occasion that feel like a bump. Can't stand or walk any better at this point, but it is nit the sharp pain I was getting, it is just the whole thing feels tight and weird with occasional pain issues. Range of motion is concerning, might be ok, I don't know. My last 2 PT sessions are coming up then an MD appointment were we discuss a manipulation to see if I need one or not.

I am walking around my house, limping, without a cane, but the knee occasionally swells up and then things get a bit harder. I am using a cane outside my office, it is just a whole lot easier to get up from a chair and start walking that way. And after a day of work I need the cane. Yard work, not good. Last time I trimmed the hedges I was down for 2 days.

Part of the problem is the things I was told just before the surgery, by those that had it,. And the things I have heard since the surgery. Virtually everyone seems to say things were pretty much back to normal in 2 to 10 weeks, including the first PT group. I have only had 2 tell me it was 6 months and 10 months before things were back to normal. So my expectations may be higher than they should be

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does not make noise, but I feel thing on occasion that feel like a bump. Can't stand or walk any better at this point, but it is nit the sharp pain I was getting, it is just the whole thing feels tight and weird with occasional pain issues. Range of motion is concerning, might be ok, I don't know. My last 2 PT sessions are coming up then an MD appointment were we discuss a manipulation to see if I need one or not.

I am walking around my house, limping, without a cane, but the knee occasionally swells up and then things get a bit harder. I am using a cane outside my office, it is just a whole lot easier to get up from a chair and start walking that way. And after a day of work I need the cane. Yard work, not good. Last time I trimmed the hedges I was down for 2 days.

Part of the problem is the things I was told just before the surgery, by those that had it,. And the things I have heard since the surgery. Virtually everyone seems to say things were pretty much back to normal in 2 to 10 weeks, including the first PT group. I have only had 2 tell me it was 6 months and 10 months before things were back to normal. So my expectations may be higher than they should be
I have had more ortho/structural related surgeries than I care to mention. With few exceptions I would say full recovery on average is around the 2-year mark.
That said, especially in the case of my knees, the first surgery had positive results almost right away. I could tell the old bone on bone pain was gone. As expected the ligature and muscles were very sore, cut and pulled as they were during surgery, for some time. One of the best and biggest things I have noticed over time is how it does not hurt to power through things where the bone on bone would really make me want to check up. This it definitely getting better as time goes by.
I was told to expect some noise so I am not surprised but I guess some of it would go away after a 'break in' period.
I would tell you the 2-10 week timeframe is realistic for marked improvement but not at all realistic for a full recovery. I think this is likely the biggest variable person to person because everybody works differently in the recovery phase and has different lifestyles that can affect long term recovery time. A sedentary person just is not going to recover as fast as an active person.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saw one of these yesterday, 1955 Chevy Bel Air. it was about in the conditions too

71idPGiK16L._AC_SX450_.jpg
Cool looking old car. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to Jersey Mike's to pick up lunch for my wife and me. Was sitting there, and the Prince song "Darling Nikki" comes on over the store's speakers. Instantly recognizable and my first thought was... Darling Nikki? Is there a radio edit of this song?

No. There is not. I looked around and was disappointed that I was the only person in the place listening to the music. :D

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to Jersey Mike's to pick up lunch for my wife and me. Was sitting there, and the Prince song "Darling Nikki" comes on over the store's speakers. Instantly recognizable and my first thought was... Darling Nikki? Is there a radio edit of this song?

No. There is not. I looked around and was disappointed that I was the only person in the place listening to the music. :D
Ok, I swear I saw this yesterday. I remember, because it through me off that they've got jersey mike's all the way by you. Did you submit a similar post already, or am I stuck in some weird time loop/possibly prophetic?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, I swear I saw this yesterday. I remember, because it through me off that they've got jersey mike's all the way by you. Did you submit a similar post already, or am I stuck in some weird time loop/possibly prophetic?
I'm gonna go with the prophetic.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I posted it in real time on FB yesterday. Thought it would lighten the mood around here a little.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Regarding Darling Nikki, if I posted the lyrics in the lyrics thread, I wonder how many would get hit by the profanity filter.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What do you get when you combine volleyball and soccer? Kick volleyball, I guess also called foot volley? It’s crazy how good they are.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I heard some recent discussion of that immunity drop-off with vaccines. Apparently, at least in part, that's how vaccines and the immune system work. There's a large immune response early, that matures (my term, probably not a scientific term) over time. There are many antibodies early, but as the response matures, there are fewer, more potent, antibodies.

What remains to be seen is whether that drop-off in antibody count from the vaccine is solely from this maturation, or if it means we'll need annual boosters or some such.

Latest Discussions