Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The WT rules are, I think, pretty silly.
I've had more than one student DQ'd, mostly because their trained reflexes didn't cater to WT rules. If your hands are down, it's really really hard for our people to resist throwing the hand to the head.
There also seems to be confusion some places about what "contact" means. Young lady from our school, a 4th geup, was competing in an open tourney. Rules as given to us were striking only, whole body, no locks/throws/grappling, full contact. Fair enough. She drops her opponent with a spinning back kick to the belly. He refused to come back out to finish the match. She was told it was excessive contact and she'd be thrown out if she did it again.
Isn't that what full contact means?

I believe I heard the term excessive force used that night. And the takedowns and throws that occurred did not go over well at all.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Front leg is faster, and it's virtually impossible to score with a punch. I am not a fan at all of WT sparing.
Some of the people I watched did score with a punch. I do agree though that that's definitely not the best sparring method out there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone challenges you

- arm wrestling only?
- boxing only?
- wrestling only?
- TKD only?
- BJJ only?
- kickboxing only?
- Sanda only?
- MMA only?
- sword fight only?
- staff/spear fight only?

Will you accept that challenge? If the answer is yes, why? If the answer is no, why?
Assuming it's a friendly thing, I trust the other individual, it's appropriate to the setting (I'm not going to start wrestling someone at a wedding or in a bar) and there's nothing on the line, the answer is yes to all but arm wrestling and sword/staff/spear. Arm wrestling I don't see what I have to gain from it, and weapons are too dangerous to do spur of the moment.

the 'challenger' will probably do better since they're choosing a specific ruleset and I don't train just one of those, but there's something I can learn from all of them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Assuming it's a friendly thing, I trust the other individual,
This is why a challenge can be divided into:

- friendly challenge,
- unfriendly challenge.

It seems to me that the challenge doesn't happen very often in today's environment.

Back in the 70 and 80, many American went to Taiwan and challenged anybody in public who was willing to fight them. It takes a lot of courage to go to a foreign country and challenge everybody in that country.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
notice something
2 TV station are showing the olympics in Tokyo....
2 TV stations are showing Godzilla kicking the living daylights out of Tokyo....
And 1 of those 2 stations is showing a Godzilla marathon........Godzilla kicking the living daylights out of Tokyo all day long

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ooooooooolympics! Love it!

I actually really enjoy the TKD. It's definitely a very specific skillset and ruleset. It's of course not meant to be a pure competition of self defence reality. I can understand why many wouldn't like it, that's fair enough. Just think it's fascinating... the way they really hone in on timing and footwork and quickness is interesting.

Love all the gymnastics too, that's probably my fave event! Will be very interesring karate's debut! And skateboarding (being a ex-skater and current inline skater) has been incredible to see!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Weightlifting is fun to watch. The last 10 minutes or so of the long distance endurance events (running and biking) are also fun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The judo was excellent. I don’t care for the TKD as a spectator, though.
Yeah, I didn't either, but for a completely different reason. This.....

"Anastasija Zolotic Becomes First American to Win Gold in Women's Taekwondo."​

And congratulations to her, I watched her Gold Medal match.

Except the announcers kept saying she's the FIRST American Woman to ever win an Olympic Gold medal in TKD. That ain't true at all.

My friend and former team mate, Arlene Limas, won the women's Olympic Gold Medal in Seoul Korea in 1988.

How do the TV announcers not know this? That really ticked me off. Isn't fair to Arlene.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just watched Olympic TKD, and I do not want to take anything away from the athletes, because the worked hard to get there and all those kicks take a lot out of you and they obviously trained a lot to get there...but huh!?

just kicking, penalty for falling down......

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just watched canoeing and a bit of beach volleyball.
Beach volleyball is fun to watch, though it irritates my spouse that the women are required to wear a sports bra and a bikini bottom, and the dudes wear loose fitting tank tops and board shorts. I don't know how the women who compete in the sport feel, but there does seem to be a lot of attention being paid to the sexualization of the women athletes this go around. Between the Norwegian handball team, the German gymnasts, and other articles, it seems that the women are getting a little tired of it.
Just watched Olympic TKD, and I do not want to take anything away from the athletes, because the worked hard to get there and all those kicks take a lot out of you and they obviously trained a lot to get there...but huh!?

just kicking, penalty for falling down......
All of that. I want to love watching TKD, but it reminds of the Thunder and Lightning from the Rundown (a fantastic movie, by the way):

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
some of the commentators drive me nuts.
The skeet lady was yelling all the time, the Dressage lady had no GD clue!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
some of the commentators drive me nuts.
The skeet lady was yelling all the time, the Dressage lady had no GD clue!
The commentators are definitely hit and miss. The male judo commentator doesn't sound like he knows any of the competitors at all, even when they're ranked top 5 in the world.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I have been hanging around you guys too long.

Story:
One rather well known male individual puts a couple of slugs into a female 'houseguest'

And here is where things become interesting.
Apparently, the 'victim' has a long standing love relationship with drugs, a longish rap sheet for abuse, and threatening behavior.
Word is that relations of her blackmailed the shooter to allow her to reside on his property, with her equally illustrious main-squeeze and aggressive dog.
Add in home renovations gone wrong, 911 calls, CPS contact, Suboxone 'boxes' in the refuse.
And yeah, 'victim is a 30 year old blonde, presumably pretty/cute. shooter a big guy.

A person implied to be the victim (she lived) populated social media with rather interesting/irrational content, giving the impression she is rather a malignant tumor than a house guest.

And the consensus in the circles affected by this is that 'nobody deserves to be shot'
erm, no, I can think of a LOT of scenarios where the high-speed lead treatment would be a valuable option.

To add interest to this saga, the male has filed suit against the county and police force (by name) for failure to properly investigate his complaints about the woman.
Pass the popcorn.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I have been hanging around you guys too long.

Story:
One rather well known male individual puts a couple of slugs into a female 'houseguest'

And here is where things become interesting.
Apparently, the 'victim' has a long standing love relationship with drugs, a longish rap sheet for abuse, and threatening behavior.
Word is that relations of her blackmailed the shooter to allow her to reside on his property, with her equally illustrious main-squeeze and aggressive dog.
Add in home renovations gone wrong, 911 calls, CPS contact, Suboxone 'boxes' in the refuse.
And yeah, 'victim is a 30 year old blonde, presumably pretty/cute. shooter a big guy.

A person implied to be the victim (she lived) populated social media with rather interesting/irrational content, giving the impression she is rather a malignant tumor than a house guest.

And the consensus in the circles affected by this is that 'nobody deserves to be shot'
erm, no, I can think of a LOT of scenarios where the high-speed lead treatment would be a valuable option.

To add interest to this saga, the male has filed suit against the county and police force (by name) for failure to properly investigate his complaints about the woman.
Pass the popcorn.
Yup. Definitely situations where you need to defend yourself. And while someone's history isn't a reason for them to be shot, it does suggest something else may have happened. As an example, based on that history, and having heard of similar situations occur: She got high on something that was not what she thought, got aggressive or hallucinated. Then went to either attack the kid (that the CPS cases are about), or even worse, got angry with the kid and went to attack it. If he's in fear for his own life, the gun is a fair option. If it's a kid and he's not close enough to stop her, the gun is pretty much the only option.

Obviously I don't know the story-all I know is what you posted. But this is an entirely possible situation, and certain outlets would not release (or hide halfway through the story) all those details.

Latest Discussions