Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ah dang... sorry man. Your perseverance is inspiring. Hope it gets sorted!

Thanks, I will no more next Monday. However I am not looking forward to the surgery, but if it lets me get back to the things I like to do, heck if it lets me get back to being able to go for a walk or sleep through the night, its a good thing.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am coming to the conclusion that both my vehicles have reached the end of their useful life (with me, anyhow. I don't enjoy getting under the hood. I have a good mechanic, but you know)

Requirements:
It needs to be big enough to support the lift/carrier for a large power chair. I think the bumper weight (?) is 400lbs plus. the interior needs to be roomy. And I mean roomy. not one of those big cars with no leg room. Ideally it would be easy to get in and out, not too high, not too low.
It needs to replace the 2002 Expedition.

the other needs to replace the 2003 Silverado. there is a big boat in my driveway that keeps screaming 'take me to the water' at me.

I personally wish I could have like a Nissan Versa, but I am the runt of the family. I would have it completely to myself (but 3 new cars isn't in the cards right now)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Guy in my office retired, I got part of his duties. He gave me all the instructions I need, with pictures and diagrams.....interesting thing though...absolutely none of the pictures and diagrams match anything I am looking at and not one single step of the process I was told (not shown) is anything like what is going on......so it is trial and error and hope I do not turn some rather expensive equipment into a brick....I wouldn't mind if this was an offline trial, but it is currently live......oh boy we're having some fun now...

Oh and I cannot reach the retiree...he's not home...he went to Florida

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Guy in my office retired, I got part of his duties. He gave me all the instructions I need, with pictures and diagrams.....interesting thing though...absolutely none of the pictures and diagrams match anything I am looking at and not one single step of the process I was told (not shown) is anything like what is going on......so it is trial and error and hope I do not turn some rather expensive equipment into a brick....I wouldn't mind if this was an offline trial, but it is currently live......oh boy we're having some fun now...

This sounds surprisingly like what @Monkey Turned Wolf dealt with recently. Deja vu.

Succession management is one of the most undervalued things around... no one thinks about succession planning until people look around at each other after someone retires, and collectively wonder how that person's job was actually accomplished.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This sounds surprisingly like what @Monkey Turned Wolf dealt with recently. Deja vu.

Succession management is one of the most undervalued things around... no one thinks about succession planning until people look around at each other after someone retires, and collectively wonder how that person's job was actually accomplished.

Agreed

That is why I sat down with him and had him explain.....multiple times....but what he explained was the instructions, that were completely wrong. Luckily I found some help in our NYC office and things are all good now. But what should have taken about 30 minutes, has taken all day

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yup. Down to the florida thing as well. Oddly, no one asked me about succession management when I left (starting a new job 3/22), but knowing what I went through I made a ~5-10 page document on projects, contact info, and how to do different things. Hopefully that's enough for whoever they hire next..that process could really be improved though.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

the way I feel when looking at tutorials for software that had several upgrades since

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know if that's better or worse than leaving no notes or guidance.

I inherited several duties when someone retired recently. They supposedly transitioned and showed me things... but they're the type who doesn't play well with others and doesn't share well... so they really only showed me parts, partway...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't know if that's better or worse than leaving no notes or guidance.

I inherited several duties when someone retired recently. They supposedly transitioned and showed me things... but they're the type who doesn't play well with others and doesn't share well... so they really only showed me parts, partway...

I got 3 things from him......and this one was the best explained.....the other I figured out today and the last...well.....time will tell

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
the way I feel when looking at tutorials for software that had several upgrades since

reminds me of the guy who asked me to install the software SPSS on his PC, because we use to have it installed on another PC......and we did...on an Windows XP PC.....and now we were at Windows 10...and SPSS had been bought and sold at least twice by then......we did not install it

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate/like petting big doggies. On one hand, it's a dog. You gotta pet it! You just gotta! Problem with big dogs is they got big paws that can scratch the ever living hell outta your arms, but you do it anyways cause... If your like me, the marks on your arms wasn't enough of a lesson. Though to be fair, none of them cut the skin so not really a big deal anyways.

In karate I'm learning a new bo form! Shushi no dai. I think that's how it's spelled. I got like between 1-3 and 1/2. Somewhere between there. It's been fun so far.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hate/like petting big doggies. On one hand, it's a dog. You gotta pet it! You just gotta! Problem with big dogs is they got big paws that can scratch the ever living hell outta your arms, but you do it anyways cause... If your like me, the marks on your arms wasn't enough of a lesson. Though to be fair, none of them cut the skin so not really a big deal anyways.

In karate I'm learning a new bo form! Shushi no dai. I think that's how it's spelled. I got like between 1-3 and 1/2. Somewhere between there. It's been fun so far.
Pyrenees and St. Bernards both have lethal paws. I am routinely mauled in the most loving way by Sadie, in particular.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Agreed! They must be petted!

And ah very cool, I don't know any bo forms, but went through some jo forms a couple of months ago, called the 'Patrol' kata. Fascinating. I'm not a weapons afficianado, but much respect for those who can actually wield a bo/jo!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
reminds me of the guy who asked me to install the software SPSS on his PC, because we use to have it installed on another PC......and we did...on an Windows XP PC.....and now we were at Windows 10...and SPSS had been bought and sold at least twice by then......we did not install it
as much as I can relate.....
My troubles are actually more modern....like Libre CAD....I can't find the instructions to the version that is presently available for download

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pyrenees and St. Bernards both have lethal paws. I am routinely mauled in the most loving way by Sadie, in particular.
LOL, Weeny....I mean my weenies....
Nothing against your big doggos...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
as much as I can relate.....
My troubles are actually more modern....like Libre CAD....I can't find the instructions to the version that is presently available for download

I have no experience with it, I deal with AutoCAD. Have you tried (asked) the LibreCAD community?

LibreCAD - Free Open Source 2D CAD

LibreCAD

There is a "Join LibreCAD Community" on their webpage that talks about documentation and downloads

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. I do this from time to time - just add dutched cocoa to the grounds. I find it makes a fairly smooth brew without changing much else. What did you not like about it?
I almost always drink my coffee black so I guess I just want a good, smooth flavored coffee. I always try to get a medium roast. Really like Gevalia and eight O'clock coffee company brands but I am not that picky.

Latest Discussions