Last Poster #7

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the LEOs and ex-LEO's in the house...or anyone else who wants to read it too

Just talking with someone and reminded me of a stupid criminal act a few years back.

State office getting new laptops, but not ready to issue yet
Storing laptops in a secure area on the loading dock
Can't get into room with out signing out the key
2 dozen laptops mysteriously vanish from secure room
1 week later, 24 brand new Laptops appear on ebay for sale
Contact matches one of the folks who signed out the key...including work email address
Guess who got arrested and lost his job
That’s a dumb criminal.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the LEOs and ex-LEO's in the house...or anyone else who wants to read it too

Just talking with someone and reminded me of a stupid criminal act a few years back.

Contact matches one of the folks who signed out the key...including work email address
Worked at a county office last year where I'm amazed something similar didn't happen.

They had an order of ~150-200 laptops, all the same, and valued $300-500 if I were to guess.
Stored in the "cage" outside maintenance office, in the basement.
Not many people knew they were there, but a few did since they saw us transporting them all over.
The cage had a key that wasn't actually necessary; you could just reach through and lift up the pin, and get in that way. Common knowledge amongst the whole IT group, since there was only one key and we had to go there a lot.
There also wasn't much security-only me and the maintenance guy were normally down there, in his office (where we couldn't see who came in), and then half the time on the road to different locations. No sign-in process or anything. I managed the security cameras too, so knew that there wasn't one directly in there (but there were by the entrances most employees were unaware of).
Was my job to image them, but they were sitting there for like a month before I was giving the go-ahead.

Somewhere between 50k and 100k, not including everything else in that area, was just sitting there easily accessibly by a building of 100+ employees, and not one tried to steal them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Ebay, offer up, all those sites are full of stolen goods.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Worked at a county office last year where I'm amazed something similar didn't happen.

They had an order of ~150-200 laptops, all the same, and valued $300-500 if I were to guess.
Stored in the "cage" outside maintenance office, in the basement.
Not many people knew they were there, but a few did since they saw us transporting them all over.
The cage had a key that wasn't actually necessary; you could just reach through and lift up the pin, and get in that way. Common knowledge amongst the whole IT group, since there was only one key and we had to go there a lot.
There also wasn't much security-only me and the maintenance guy were normally down there, in his office (where we couldn't see who came in), and then half the time on the road to different locations. No sign-in process or anything. I managed the security cameras too, so knew that there wasn't one directly in there (but there were by the entrances most employees were unaware of).
Was my job to image them, but they were sitting there for like a month before I was giving the go-ahead.

Somewhere between 50k and 100k, not including everything else in that area, was just sitting there easily accessibly by a building of 100+ employees, and not one tried to steal them.

My first state job was physical security for the state office I worked in. I investigated a number of laptop thefts, the majority were stolen by the user of the laptop. However the powers that be did not want to pursue prosecution and accepted many of the outrageous stories. The best was a "Deputy Commissioner" He stored his laptop in his office, behind the door was a desk. He put the laptop, in the case beside te desk, the side away from the door, but against the wall. He put several boxes in front it to hide it. Basically it was in the corner about 2 feet back between the desk and the all with boxes in front of it

After his story, I said...so....your saying...someone, was wandering the halls, of a secure building. Walked into your outer office, past all your support staff, into your office, that you were not in at the time, closed the door, pulled out all the boxes, found the laptop case, opened the case, took out the laptop, put the case back, put the boxes back, opened the door of your office, and walked out past all of your support staff carrying your laptop, and none of them (there were 6 people in the outer office) saw anything..... he said..."Yes"... it was all I could do not to laugh in his face......

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

One of our kids is a store manager at Walgreens. Just took over a new store. The previous manager had hired a woman who started just a couple days after Katie took over. She oriented one day. Called off the next. Worked one day. Day 4, a masked woman of her size comes in, flashes a gun, and robs the place. Day 6 she's back at work. Katie and the loss prevention people had pulled the tapes from their cameras. Turns out she'd been pocketing cash starting on Day 3. They interview her, show her a clip or two, and she confesses to the robbery as well.
Sometimes I think if stupid were painful, people would be smarter.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
not surprised at all. Organized retail crime is also a big problem. Big business for the bad guys.
And tough to do anything about. The vast majority of employers have policies preventing staff from doing anything to stop the thieves. Because liability. And I think Law Enforcement types don't have the resources to really pursue misdemeanor theft. In Colorado, any theft less than $2000 is a misdemeanor. If it's less than $50 it's a petty offense.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And tough to do anything about. The vast majority of employers have policies preventing staff from doing anything to stop the thieves. Because liability. And I think Law Enforcement types don't have the resources to really pursue misdemeanor theft. In Colorado, any theft less than $2000 is a misdemeanor. If it's less than $50 it's a petty offense.
I think it's not just liability. Employees chasing a bad guy out of the store and getting shot, stabbed, beaten, or whatever, is bad for everyone.

Many places have ORC task forces and large retail outlets cooperate, sharing BOLOs and such... it's imperfect, but works a little. Often, as is typical, the folks committing the actual crimes are easily replaced by the folks pulling the strings.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Back when I was hospital security I talked to a State Police Officer who came in with a "patient" He had arrested the person for shop lifting at a grocery store. Asked him why he was here with the patent now...he said "You'd be surprised at how many people have nickel induced seizures after you put the cuff on them"

Person fake a seizure to try and get out of the arrest...... doctor examined him..... surprise, he were faking the seizure...and was not actually unconscious when he got to the ER.... even the ambulance crew figured that out before they arrived at the hospital.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back when I was hospital security I talked to a State Police Officer who came in with a "patient" He had arrested the person for shop lifting at a grocery store. Asked him why he was here with the patent now...he said "You'd be surprised at how many people have nickel induced seizures after you put the cuff on them"

Person fake a seizure to try and get out of the arrest...... doctor examined him..... surprise, he were faking the seizure...and was not actually unconscious when he got to the ER.... even the ambulance crew figured that out before they arrived at the hospital.
Seizures, suicidal, chest pain... there's a whole range of things we classify as Incarceritis.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Seizures, suicidal, chest pain... there's a whole range of things we classify as Incarceritis.

My favorite was a prisoner that was complaining about excruciating pain in the groin, moaning groaning, screaming, even came in by ambulance. After multiple tests the doctor found nothing. Told the prison guard he wanted to try one more thing, took the guard to outside the curtain the prisoner was behind and started talking, a bit louder than normal, about the tests and the findings, At the end of this he told the guard the only way to fix this was amputation. Then a miracle happened, the prisoner walked out from behind the curtain and told the doctor that he did not know what happened, but the pain just stopped..... the doc looked at him and said.."Not surprised, I thought it might"...the guy did not get to spend the weekend in the hospital and went back to prison

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite was a prisoner that was complaining about excruciating pain in the groin, moaning groaning, screaming, even came in by ambulance. After multiple tests the doctor found nothing. Told the prison guard he wanted to try one more thing, took the guard to outside the curtain the prisoner was behind and started talking, a bit louder than normal, about the tests and the findings, At the end of this he told the guard the only way to fix this was amputation. Then a miracle happened, the prisoner walked out from behind the curtain and told the doctor that he did not know what happened, but the pain just stopped..... the doc looked at him and said.."Not surprised, I thought it might"...the guy did not get to spend the weekend in the hospital and went back to prison
It's amazing how far people will go to get out of jail. We used to see the same prisoner repeatedly. He'd been assaulted, had a brain bleed, and required surgery. All was well, and he went back to prison. Kept coming back with wound infections. Cultures grew out E Coli. Yes, he was smearing poo on his incision. He didn't think it through though. Eventually the skin infection became a brain abscess and he died.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My favorite was a guy swearing up and down that the police stabbed him...with no marks on him whatsoever. Couldn't tell anyone where he was stabbed, just that he was and it was hurting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the place I used to work at signed a contract with the county.
So walking into a room with an armed 'visitor'
One dude pretended to be paralyzed. The doc did all but drag him out of the bed by the leg! 🤣 I kept thinking about the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels....
"Does this hurt?" ..........

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lovely spam.... wonderful spam. - Monty Python
As it's know in New England "Specially Processed Artificial Meat"

Out here it's very popular, though.

Latest Discussions