Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Broiling is cooking with high heat from either above or below, but not both.

From both above and below (or from both sides) makes it roasting or baking, if it's in an enclosed space. An open space would make it toasting.

To make A toast is entirely different to making toast, which you can do with broiling, but it takes longer that way due to having to turn.
cooking with high heat from above is broiling. Cooking with high heat from below could be saute, grill, or pan fry.
Which is also broiling, if the heat is coming from one side.
only if you're say things like "cheerio" as a greeting with nomapparent irony.
But grilling is specifically from below
fixed it for you.
Like our oven has a grill, which heats from above.
so British.

And it's why I'm quite choosy about accepting invitations...

I cook it properly, at an appropriate heat level, for a sensible time for the product.
I think you're over emphasis on cooking just proves you don't get it. Next you're going to tell me you don't put a sausage gravy on biscuits.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cooking with high heat from below could be saute, grill, or pan fry.

Depends whether it's in a pan or not...

I think you're over emphasis on cooking just proves you don't get it. Next you're going to tell me you don't put a sausage gravy on biscuits.

I certainly wouldn't, that would be exceedingly nasty.

Especially if they're chocolate biscuits.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Frankly, I think it's quite odd to stick gravy onto scones with ingredients missing anyway.

Next thing you know you'll be telling me you usually enter a building on the first floor...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grilling is something done with heat from above - like cheese on toast. Difficult to do with charcoal...
That's a linguistic difference I wasn't aware of. Here that's broiling. Grilling refers to putting something on the grill (referred to there as a BBQ - and sometimes that name is used here).[/QUOTE]

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broiling is cooking with high heat from either above or below, but not both.

From both above and below (or from both sides) makes it roasting or baking, if it's in an enclosed space. An open space would make it toasting.

To make A toast is entirely different to making toast, which you can do with broiling, but it takes longer that way due to having to turn.

Which is also broiling, if the heat is coming from one side.

But grilling is specifically from above.

Like our oven has a grill, which heats from above.

And it's why I'm quite choosy about accepting invitations...

I cook it properly, at an appropriate heat level, for a sensible time for the product.
Wow. I'd be lost trying to follow a British cookbook.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly, I think it's quite odd to stick gravy onto scones with ingredients missing anyway.

Next thing you know you'll be telling me you usually enter a building on the first floor...
When I read books in US English (my usual, of course) and they mention entering on the first floor, even though I'm used to that, I still pause and imagine the character climbing in a window. Makes the books more entertaining, which is odd with historical non-fiction.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cat-climbs-towel-rope-window.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Clearly... you need bacon!

Seriously, could be anything from positioning to a nerve being pinched in the back.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BACON!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo :D

Thinking carpal tunnel....never had it before....but I might now....... Have a physical this week, I'll see what the MD says...... but the TCM MD I live with will likely fill me full of needles

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Google patently doesn't know how to make scones.

Putting chocolate in scones is tantamount to treason.
Welcome to America...we put chocolate in everything :D

I'n not a big fan of the scones with chocolate in them.....are blueberries ok.... I like Blueberry scones....use to be a great place for excellent Blueberry scones, IMO, but then they went an added more sugar to the mixture and ruined them

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I'n not a big fan of the scones with chocolate in them.....are blueberries ok.... I like Blueberry scones....use to be a great place for excellent Blueberry scones, IMO, but then they went an added more sugar to the mixture and ruined them
I like cinnamon and oat scones.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah, you're thinking of muffins, not scones.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, you're thinking of muffins, not scones.

Nope...I know what a muffin is..... what I am talking about are scones...at least America Scones

1393126553271.jpeg

These are a blueberry muffin

perfect-blueberry-muffins.jpg

Which bring me to...the same place use to make darn good muffins too....then the apparently though adding huge amounts pf sugar would make them better as well...... basically they now make blueberry cupcakes in the shape of scones and cupcake muffins.....I no longer go there. It seems to be a trend.... the best place in my area for cinnamon rolls also decided it was better to add copious amounts of sugar so you could not taste the cinnamon....only the sugar...I no longer go there either..... but this is getting away from scones...... you mean to tell me they have to be plain or they are not scones...... why not just get few biscuits and be done with it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.