Last Person Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Snowing now....I wonder if I can convince the wife we need to buy this because its snowing :D

958120-Hummer-snowcat-0.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunny, and going to hit mid-50s today.

I think I need to get the Vette out and make sure it hasn't been damaged by sitting in the garage the last couple weeks...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Snowing now....I wonder if I can convince the wife we need to buy this because its snowing :D

958120-Hummer-snowcat-0.jpg

You need the mattracks, yes. I suggested that Bob get a set of those.
The HumVee? No. Just no. They're junk. Put the tracks on a Wrangler or any other decent 4x4 and you'll laugh at snow - and swamps - from then on.
These things cannot be used in any offroad competition, BTW. Or at least I don't know of any sanctioning body that will allow them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You need the mattracks, yes. I suggested that Bob get a set of those.
The HumVee? No. Just no. They're junk.
Back in 1990, when I was introduced to the HumVee in Germany, they were practically indestructable. Have they gone downhill since then, or does the military get a better quality vehicle than are available to consumers?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The HumVee is a Jeep Wrangler built to military specs. It's oversized, overweight, overpriced, underpowered, handles like a sailboat with a faulty keel, and (despite it's bloated size) seats 4 people. Overall, it rates an 8+ on the ridiculousmeter.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The HumVee is a Jeep Wrangler built to military specs. It's oversized, overweight, overpriced, underpowered, handles like a sailboat with a faulty keel, and (despite it's bloated size) seats 4 people. Overall, it rates an 8+ on the ridiculousmeter.

Back when I had my old CJ (CJ5) I read an article that compared the HumVee to the Wrangler. What they did was add stuff to the wrangler to make it just as tuff and unstoppable as the HumVee of the time. Based on cost alone the Wrangler came out cheaper. I should also add my old Cherokee would go absolutely anyplace I wanted it to go, and I was working a tree farm in Pa. at the time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back when I had my old CJ (CJ5) I read an article that compared the HumVee to the Wrangler. What they did was add stuff to the wrangler to make it just as tuff and unstoppable as the HumVee of the time. Based on cost alone the Wrangler came out cheaper. I should also add my old Cherokee would go absolutely anyplace I wanted it to go, and I was working a tree farm in Pa. at the time.

We have a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. It's stock, but it'll go places the HumVee simply won't fit. I doubt the HumVee will go anyplace that the Wrangler won't. But if it does...
This is the offroad Wrangler my offroading buddies and I built...
markindy.jpg

And this is the full sized Dodge we built (and used to compete in 4-Wheeler Magazines Real Truck Club Challenge).

RTCC 02.jpg

The Jeep cost less than $20K to build. The Ram cost about $40K (half of which was the cost of the truck we started with...). And both are more capable than the HumVee.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have to admit the truck that absolutely impressed me the most, as well as scare the living daylights out of me was my cousins old 1974 Power Wagon 4X4. He was going though small ponds and up old oil roads I don't think I could climb and the thing just kept going

Kind of like this one

32301030013_original.jpg

edit: after I posted this I realized it was a 74, not a 75 so I changed the post. And it looked a lot like the one above... just not at all rusty at the time

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I thought it was awesome in 1990. Had never driven anything like it, and it was cool. Whether things have changed or not in the last 24 years, I don't know, but back then, it was a sexy beast.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit the truck that absolutely impressed me the most, as well as scare the living daylights out of me was my cousins old 1974 Power Wagon 4X4. He was going though small ponds and up old oil roads I don't think I could climb and the thing just kept going

Mine is bigger.

(One of the few times it's appropriate to say that!)

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
I prefer two wheels myself.
Except I can't get the picture to upload here, so you'll just have to imagine a beat up '67 Royal Enfield bagged out parked on an overlook on a mountain road in Western Maharashtra.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Uploading pictures requires a Supporting Membership. Go to your profile (from your Avatar at the top right of the page)and go to "Account Upgrades".

I do not think two wheels and snow are a good combination. Not at all.
But when the weather is nice, I use this instead...

Vette 01.jpg

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or host the pics on like photo bucket you don't need a membership for that

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like the radiator I just put in is bad. GRRR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions