Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys and gals!

I've been off line and off Island for a while, I hope everyone is well. Some of you had been in contact and I never got back to you. I will do so this week. Until then...rock on. :)

View attachment 21709
Meteor showers. Locking up a beach parking lot at work. Cool.
Welcome back, brother. Missed you around here.
 
EXACTLY!!!!! Breakfast food

all kidding aside, from Mrs Xue's point of view, all cakes, cookies, seats, etc. should be eaten at breakfast time and no other time throughout the day. That way your body has time to burn it off. Have it later in the day, when you're less active, you do not burn it off
I'm a savory breakfast guy.
 
Somehow... it looks more sophisticated in Chinese. @gpseymour says most Russian sounds like cusswords to him (even though I wouldn't teach him any real cusswords). And one of my audiobook narrators told me that he started using complicated Russian names from my translations as profanities. He is really getting a kick out of it - apparently it's loads of fun when you stub your toe and scream "Agraphena Nikityevna!".

My ex-wife told me absolutely everything I said in German sounded like "I want to kill you"
 
My ex-wife told me absolutely everything I said in German sounded like "I want to kill you"
I was explaining to a native-German student what little German I learned as a kid was what parents yell at kids (be quiet, eat, close that window, what’s going on, hurry up, etc.). Walt couldn’t understand any of my words. Apparently, my dad fussed in very bad German.
 
I was explaining to a native-German student what little German I learned as a kid was what parents yell at kids (be quiet, eat, close that window, what’s going on, hurry up, etc.). Walt couldn’t understand any of my words. Apparently, my dad fussed in very bad German.

be quiet,
安静
ĀnjƬng

eat,
吃
Chī

close that window,
å…³é—­é‚£äøŖēŖ—å£
GuānbƬ nĆ gĆØ chuāngkĒ’u

what’s going on
čæ™ę˜Æę€Žä¹ˆå›žäŗ‹
ZhĆØ shƬ zěnme huĆ­ shƬ

hurry up
čµ¶åæ«
GĒŽnkuĆ i

Hurry up however is usually this repeated multiple times in quick succession
čµ°
ZĒ’u
example; ZĒ’u ZĒ’u ZĒ’u ZĒ’u
There is also the louder and more agrivating sounding ZĒ’ule (čµ°äŗ†)

And this one is geernally only said to me.... I will let you use google translate to figure it out
ęˆ‘ä¼šę‰“č“„ä½ 
WĒ’ huƬ dĒŽbĆ i nǐ

And unless you can find a Beijingren (Beijing Person) to pronounce those for you, they will sound a bit ddifferently than the Mandarin taught in school;
 
be quiet,
安静
ĀnjƬng

eat,
吃
Chī

close that window,
å…³é—­é‚£äøŖēŖ—å£
GuānbƬ nĆ gĆØ chuāngkĒ’u

what’s going on
čæ™ę˜Æę€Žä¹ˆå›žäŗ‹
ZhĆØ shƬ zěnme huĆ­ shƬ

hurry up
čµ¶åæ«
GĒŽnkuĆ i

Hurry up however is usually this repeated multiple times in quick succession
čµ°
ZĒ’u
example; ZĒ’u ZĒ’u ZĒ’u ZĒ’u
There is also the louder and more agrivating sounding ZĒ’ule (čµ°äŗ†)

And this one is geernally only said to me.... I will let you use google translate to figure it out
ęˆ‘ä¼šę‰“č“„ä½ 
WĒ’ huƬ dĒŽbĆ i nǐ

And unless you can find a Beijingren (Beijing Person) to pronounce those for you, they will sound a bit ddifferently than the Mandarin taught in school;
Ok, since we are doing this...

Be quiet - ŠŸŠ¾Ń‚ŠøŃˆŠµ or Тихо - Potishe or Tiho
Eat - Š•ŃˆŃŒ - Yesh
Close that window - Закрой окно - Zakroy okno
Hurry up - ŠŸŠ¾Ń‚Š¾Ń€Š°ŠæŠ»ŠøŠ²Š°Š¹ŃŃ - Potoraplivaysya

Re: ęˆ‘ä¼šę‰“č“„ä½  - isn't that abuse? Unless it takes place in class?
 
Re: ęˆ‘ä¼šę‰“č“„ä½  - isn't that abuse? Unless it takes place in class?

Well, since it is my wife saying this to me..... I think its legal...especially if the wife you are speaking of is Chinese..... besides, I tell all my Chinese relative
WĒ’ TĆ itĆ i dĒŽ wĒ’ (this might be Beijing slang)
(my wife beats me)
Actual mandarin translation is
ęˆ‘ēš„å¦»å­ę‰“č“„äŗ†ęˆ‘
WĒ’ de qÄ«zi dĒŽbĆ ile wĒ’
 
@gpseymour , you should do these in French.
I'm not sure how good my idiom is, but here goes:
Be quiet - Silence (see-lonce)
Eat - Mange (mohnzhe)
Close that window - Ferme la fenĆŖtre (fehrm lah fuhnehtr)
Hurry up - Dépêche-toi (day-pesh twah)

I'm pretty sure the idiom is right (at least was, 30 years ago) for the first and last ones. The ones in the middle might have more common forms.
 
I should probably say that in my house I rarely hear 安静 ĀnjƬng..... But I do often hear 闭嘓 BƬ zuǐ

I have to learn this Bugs bunny response in Mandarin for the next time I hear Bì zuǐ :D

 
Great start to the day . Sitting across from a crazy right wing nut job talking about how the mafia controls the government and the liberals literally hate conservatives so much that they think about things conservatives like and then ruin them. Like tobacco. Chubby guy in a security firm polo . Walking stereotype.
 
Great start to the day . Sitting across from a crazy right wing nut job talking about how the mafia controls the government and the liberals literally hate conservatives so much that they think about things conservatives like and then ruin them. Like tobacco. Chubby guy in a security firm polo . Walking stereotype.
Oh dear.... Here is a kitten with a teddy bear.
kitten-and-teddy-bear_njg0slk02__F0000.png
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top