Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being from the south, if you say Bo most people think you are referring to Bow and arrow and will wonder what you are hunting?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK.... I don't get it...what does boo boo have to do with MT

Boo-Boo_Bear.png

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Happy Monday to all.

Dreary here on the first day of May in upstate NY, but things could be worse. :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Random Annoucement:

I don't think I have ever mentioned it here, but I wrote a comic book a few years back. Took me from November 2010 until April 2012 to compose it all. Then the search for an artist began.

Long story short: the first issue will be released in a small print run on May 6th, and then it goes live as a webcomic on May 9th. Exciting times ahead!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random Annoucement:

I don't think I have ever mentioned it here, but I wrote a comic book a few years back. Took me from November 2010 until April 2012 to compose it all. Then the search for an artist began.

Long story short: the first issue will be released in a small print run on May 6th, and then it goes live as a webcomic on May 9th. Exciting times ahead!
Sweet! Be sure to give us a link.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's raining and I'm starving....not a good combination.....

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this is a place to get away from MA discussion, but I just felt like sharing this here because it's kind of a rambling post that basically describes my "rational mind" thought process.

Lately I have been thinking about relocating my online wing chun and fitness journal to a new site, with a URL that is more fitting. (No one knows what the hell "wcman1976" means anyway, unless I tell them...and no one asks.) However, I am having a bit of trouble figuring out a name.

A while back, my teacher said I would have permission to teach wing chun. I thought about how, in a lot of classes I have gone to, people of all martial arts styles learn how to defend against other people...who are using the same style. Example: If you study at Wong's Academy of Martial Arts Style A, then you will spar against people who also do Style A. Same thing if you go to Wong's Academy of Martial Arts Style B.

Obviously, the odds of fighting someone else from your style on the street are slim. So I thought about integrating more "street" applications, and calling it Realistic Wing Chun. But after some thought, I figured that seems a little insulting...like other Sifus might see it and say, "Oh, so are you saying MY wing chun is a figment of my imagination???" The same held true of the other name I thought of: Practical Wing Chun. First it seems like I would be saying other people are NOT practical. Second, someone else took that name!

So now I am thinking of following the path of the two men who have taught me. In Albany, there is Cichon's Wing Chun, and in Broadalbin there is London's Wing Chun. Also there is a school in Glens Falls called Sam Ling's Wing Chun. The common theme is obvious: they are putting their name on it, because they have put their stamp on the style. If you did chi sao with all 3 men, you would get a very different feel from each one.

Therefore I think a name change to "Steve Grogan's Wing Chun" is my best bet. Why not put my name on it? After all, there are certain things I like about the system that I emphasize, which might be different from what Cichon, London, or Ling emphasize.

Anyway...just felt like sharing that on this slow-moving afternoon.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this is a place to get away from MA discussion, but I just felt like sharing this here because it's kind of a rambling post that basically describes my "rational mind" thought process.

Lately I have been thinking about relocating my online wing chun and fitness journal to a new site, with a URL that is more fitting. (No one knows what the hell "wcman1976" means anyway, unless I tell them...and no one asks.) However, I am having a bit of trouble figuring out a name.

A while back, my teacher said I would have permission to teach wing chun. I thought about how, in a lot of classes I have gone to, people of all martial arts styles learn how to defend against other people...who are using the same style. Example: If you study at Wong's Academy of Martial Arts Style A, then you will spar against people who also do Style A. Same thing if you go to Wong's Academy of Martial Arts Style B.

Obviously, the odds of fighting someone else from your style on the street are slim. So I thought about integrating more "street" applications, and calling it Realistic Wing Chun. But after some thought, I figured that seems a little insulting...like other Sifus might see it and say, "Oh, so are you saying MY wing chun is a figment of my imagination???" The same held true of the other name I thought of: Practical Wing Chun. First it seems like I would be saying other people are NOT practical. Second, someone else took that name!

So now I am thinking of following the path of the two men who have taught me. In Albany, there is Cichon's Wing Chun, and in Broadalbin there is London's Wing Chun. Also there is a school in Glens Falls called Sam Ling's Wing Chun. The common theme is obvious: they are putting their name on it, because they have put their stamp on the style. If you did chi sao with all 3 men, you would get a very different feel from each one.

Therefore I think a name change to "Steve Grogan's Wing Chun" is my best bet. Why not put my name on it? After all, there are certain things I like about the system that I emphasize, which might be different from what Cichon, London, or Ling emphasize.

Anyway...just felt like sharing that on this slow-moving afternoon.

This reminds me of yesterday's hike in the park. My son (7yo): "Dad, look there's an actual squirrel!!!!!!"

So....you should name it "Steve's Actual Wing Chun"

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, the BJJ approach would be to set up an affiliation, like Atos, One Jiu Jitsu, or Gracie Barra. Typically, the head of an affiliation is a well established, well known black belt, like Saulo Ribeiro or Renzo Gracie.

So, in this model, you would probably be looking at your teacher to create the brand and then you would fall under him.

One notable exception to this, which correlates pretty directly to your situation, is Ari Knazan, who started Submissions 101 when he was a BJJ blue belt. From the beginning, he took hits for focusing on creating a brand for himself, and it's worked out pretty well for him. He started off as a 10th Planet guy, and then hooked into Keith Owen.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the BJJ approach would be to set up an affiliation, like Atos, One Jiu Jitsu, or Gracie Barra. Typically, the head of an affiliation is a well established, well known black belt, like Saulo Ribeiro or Renzo Gracie.

So, in this model, you would probably be looking at your teacher to create the brand and then you would fall under him.

One notable exception to this, which correlates pretty directly to your situation, is Ari Knazan, who started Submissions 101 when he was a BJJ blue belt. From the beginning, he took hits for focusing on creating a brand for himself, and it's worked out pretty well for him. He started off as a 10th Planet guy, and then hooked into Keith Owen.

I'm not talking about a full-blown affiliation or even a school. I am just talking about creating a new site with a more appopriate URL. With that in mind, Steve Grogan's Wing Chun fits because the site would be about documenting my journey...which, of course, no one can take other than me.

For a moment I thought of maybe calling it my Wing Chun "Journey," but then I thought: what if I DID open a school or affiliation someday? Then that URL/site name would no longer fit.

This is what I do when I run out of work at my job: overthink. LOL

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Beyond Ip Man Wing Chun, Mr Grogan has very few options....He does not have an affiliation with Fong, although 1 of his teachers trained with him. He does have an association with Jack Ling, because that is where the sifu who gave him permission comes from and on the other side he has Ip Ching, but he has no permission to use that lineage and all of them go to Ip Man. And none of his teacher use "Ip Man" in their school names. There are no large, or small, organizations overseeing Wing Chun.... not even in Hong Kong....

Both teacher do things differently though due to the fact that there are different teachers between them and Ip Man. No reason Steve can't do things his way too.

As far a Wing Chun schools go in my area I think his best bet is "Steve Grogan's Wing Chun" Then optimize a webpage for searches based on Wing Chun, Marital Arts, etc.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a full-blown affiliation or even a school. I am just talking about creating a new site with a more appopriate URL. With that in mind, Steve Grogan's Wing Chun fits because the site would be about documenting my journey...which, of course, no one can take other than me.

For a moment I thought of maybe calling it my Wing Chun "Journey," but then I thought: what if I DID open a school or affiliation someday? Then that URL/site name would no longer fit.

This is what I do when I run out of work at my job: overthink. LOL

Make the page, optimize it for search and go from there. If necessary higher a web developer who can help you make, secure and optimize the page

Note: I don't like it when styles add "Real" or "Combat" in the style name. I see it as a lack of understanding of the style or simply sales.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make the page, optimize it for search and go from there. If necessary higher a web developer who can help you make, secure and optimize the page

Note: I don't like it when styles add "Real" or "Combat" in the style name. I see it as a lack of understanding of the style or simply sales.

Yes. Plus as I said, I feel it's like the person is saying the other schools are NOT "real" or good for "combat."

As for web developers: got any personal recommendations? :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Beyond Ip Man Wing Chun, Mr Grogan has very few options....He does not have an affiliation with Fong, although 1 of his teachers trained with him. He does have an association with Jack Ling, because that is where the sifu who gave him permission comes from and on the other side he has Ip Ching, but he has no permission to use that lineage and all of them go to Ip Man. And none of his teacher use "Ip Man" in their school names. There are no large, or small, organizations overseeing Wing Chun.... not even in Hong Kong....

Both teacher do things differently though due to the fact that there are different teachers between them and Ip Man. No reason Steve can't do things his way too.

As far a Wing Chun schools go in my area I think his best bet is "Steve Grogan's Wing Chun" Then optimize a webpage for searches based on Wing Chun, Marital Arts, etc.
Marital arts? :)

Bow chicka wow wow!!! Ohhhh yeahhhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions