Kukkiwon Skip Dan Promotion

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I am reading the rules right, the Kukkiwon allows a Skip Dan Promotion of more than one rank. Further a Skip Dan Promotion can only used once. A Skip Dan Promotion to 5th Dan would require testing at the Kukkiwon itself.

Does anyone have experience with Skip Dan Promotions, especially with skipping more than one Dan at a time.

Has anyone tested at the Kukkiwon for 5th Dan and are you willing to share your experiences?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor took a bunch of people's money but never delivered the Kukkiwon certificates- including my 1st and 2nd. After she closed the school over night and left the country, my parents tracked down a near by Korean master who was at my 2nd degree testing. He agreed to submit my paper work and when it came in it was a 2nd Dan (I was only 12 at the time) certificate. I have no record of a 1st degree with the Kukkiwon, but it has never presented any problem (I now hold a 4th with the Kukkiwon).

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two of our master instructors did this.
The first was our Grandmaster's original student who made 1st Dan at the organization's first Dan test. Some 25 years later, because all of his peers had gone on to master instructor, our GM used his pull with the Kukkiwon to get him promoted to 4th Dan. Very rare exception.
The other was one of our black belts who made 3rd Dan and then was in the Army for 10 years while his peers went on to master instructor. Because of his Army rank. our GM again used his Kukkiwon credibility to allow him to test for 5th Dan. Again, not something done very often.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Two of our master instructors did this.
The first was our Grandmaster's original student who made 1st Dan at the organization's first Dan test. Some 25 years later, because all of his peers had gone on to master instructor, our GM used his pull with the Kukkiwon to get him promoted to 4th Dan. Very rare exception.
The other was one of our black belts who made 3rd Dan and then was in the Army for 10 years while his peers went on to master instructor. Because of his Army rank. our GM again used his Kukkiwon credibility to allow him to test for 5th Dan. Again, not something done very often.

Did they have to go to the Kukkiwon to test?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not quite what you are inquiring about, but I processed a skip dan for a student who had a Kukkiwon 1st dan and necessary time-in-grade and training and level of expertise (IMO as instructor) to Kukkiwon 3rd dan.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not quite what you are inquiring about, but I processed a skip dan for a student who had a Kukkiwon 1st dan and necessary time-in-grade and training and level of expertise (IMO as instructor) to Kukkiwon 3rd dan.

Yes, essetially what I am asking. A 2nd Dan Kukkiwon to a 5th Dan Kukkiwon. Time in Grade requirement is met, expertise is also met. Extenuating circumstances.

I have read on the USA Taekwondo's website that skip dan promotions to 5th Dan require testing at the Kukkiwon. I have read the same thing on the Kukkiwon's website, although the English translation isn't perfectly clear.

I'm just trying to find out if this is true, if anyone has had or knows of someone who has had experience skipping more than one Dan at a time and what testing is like at the Kukkiwon.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To skip from 1st to anything higher than third you need to go directly to the Kukkiwon, anytime it is more than one rank it must be done there. When I tested for my fourth I could have went to sixth because of time in but did not see the extra expense in going for a test. Sure I could have gotten my fifth but I figure I wait another 16 years to test for that one I will only be 63.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the testing at the Kukkiwon requirement, but I do know that it has become a lot harder to test for a skip dan than say 10 or 15 years ago.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the testing at the Kukkiwon requirement, but I do know that it has become a lot harder to test for a skip dan than say 10 or 15 years ago.

The only time is when you are skipping two grades.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I said, the other gentleman went from 1st Dan to 4th Dan. And to my knowledge he did not go to the Kukkiwon to test.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I said, the other gentleman went from 1st Dan to 4th Dan. And to my knowledge he did not go to the Kukkiwon to test.

Like I said that is very strange, the rules clearly state anything over one skip needs to be done at the Kukkiwon. I am glad he was able to get it done without going.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he was able to go from 3rd to 5th without going to the Kukkiwon because of my instructor's credibility. He has told us those are the only two times he used his credibility like that.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he was able to go from 3rd to 5th without going to the Kukkiwon because of my instructor's credibility. He has told us those are the only two times he used his credibility like that.

That is great and I hope he is in the arts for a long time.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know of a few people who were able to cross rank from 5th dan in another tkd organization to KKW 5th dan simply on the signature of a well-connected instructor. That probably isn't likely to happen anymore.

I do know that the KKW is planning to hold special tests locally in countries with enough interest to skip dan promote people up to 3 ranks. Just got a letter about it today. Seems like they are trying to assess interest at this point on a country by country basis, so there were no definite plans included beyond a 2009 projected date.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know of a few people who were able to cross rank from 5th dan in another tkd organization to KKW 5th dan simply on the signature of a well-connected instructor. That probably isn't likely to happen anymore.

I do know that the KKW is planning to hold special tests locally in countries with enough interest to skip dan promote people up to 3 ranks. Just got a letter about it today. Seems like they are trying to assess interest at this point on a country by country basis, so there were no definite plans included beyond a 2009 projected date.

turtle,

Do you have any dates or locations for testing in the US? Is there a source I can go to for this information, perhaps your website?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Why would there be such a need to hold special tests to skip multiple ranks?

Latest Discussions