Problem with Dan certificates for foreign nationals

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of our students took a 1st Dan test under our WTF MNA (BTCB, the British Taekwondo Control Board) last May. After I tested under my Grandmaster in December and received my certificate at the end of January, he's getting slightly concerned that he hasn't received his.

He's from Spain, but has lived in the UK for about 3 years (so well over the Kukkiwon's 6 month requirement).

When he contacted the BTCB he was told "We have had a few problems with the foreign national applications, Master Lim is going to Kukkiwon personally to sort it out. However, this won’t stop you being able to grade in Dec 2011."

However, when I contacted Section Chief Lee at the Kukkiwon, he replied with "Sorry for that case but we do not know or no record. Please make it again.".

From my experience, the Kukkiwon isn't as inefficient as most MNAs would have you believe.

Personally I'd like to wait until he's had a year since his 1st Dan test and apply on his behalf for a skip to 2nd Dan (he was a long term, but continuously training black tag so he's really ready for 2nd Dan) - but it's not my club and we're within the BTCB and they have rules about grading outside* the BTCB.

Does anyone else have problems with processing dan applications for foreign nationals in your country?

* The BTCB is not recognising my latest grading as I took it under my grandmaster (8th Dan Kukkiwon) rather than through them and if I want it recognised I'd have to re-test under them.

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I totally understand what you're saying here.

I also had a similar experience with Dan grading a few years back, and had to chase it up for what seemed like a very long time. In the end when I got my Kukkiwon Cert, the date it had on it was wrong - so I had a few extra month added on to my next grading date.

I wish the Kukkiwon could ammend grading dates, like they do other mistakes like typing errors on DOB, names, etc:angel:

Regarding your Kukkiwon not being recondised and having to re-grade under the BTCB, my friend had the same pleasure. He did pass the BTCB grading with no problems, but he wasn't too happy about paying again for the Kukkiwon fee...because he already had a Kukkiwon certificate.

I thought the whole point of having a Kukkiwon cert. was the it was meant to almost a global standard in terms of Black Belt for the WTF sport.

I think belonging to a Group member of the BTCB maybe a better option if can find one near you. As they maybe a little bit more understanding and accepting of your Kukkiwon grade. As they sometimes offer a more personalised service I think.

Am not sure about the foreign nationals bit mind you :~

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of our students took a 1st Dan test under our WTF MNA (BTCB, the British Taekwondo Control Board) last May. After I tested under my Grandmaster in December and received my certificate at the end of January, he's getting slightly concerned that he hasn't received his. He's from Spain, but has lived in the UK for about 3 years (so well over the Kukkiwon's 6 month requirement).

I've done a few of these. What is required is that you have to show proof of residency in your country. What I do is attach a copy of their passport entry and visa along with their application. It has never been a problem. It might be a problem for the BTCB because I think how it works for MNA processing is that they have blank Kukkiwon 1st Dan and make the certificate directly. However, the certificate might already state UK or England on it so it might be a problem. I think the procedure in those cases are that the BTCB has to submit the application directly to the Kukkiwon for processing. It doesn't sound like the BTCB has done anything with respect to your friend's recommendation. He is losing time in grade because the time in grade is calculated by the date on the certificate, not the date of the test.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done a few of these. What is required is that you have to show proof of residency in your country. What I do is attach a copy of their passport entry and visa along with their application. It has never been a problem.

That's what I was thinking.

It might be a problem for the BTCB because I think how it works for MNA processing is that they have blank Kukkiwon 1st Dan and make the certificate directly.

I didn't think they did. I know they do in the US, but I don't know if that's because the US is much larger. The noises coming out of the BTCB are that they just send them off to the Kukkiwon and that in this case the Kukkiwon is the one being slow.

I think the procedure in those cases are that the BTCB has to submit the application directly to the Kukkiwon for processing. It doesn't sound like the BTCB has done anything with respect to your friend's recommendation. He is losing time in grade because the time in grade is calculated by the date on the certificate, not the date of the test.

I agree. I've told the student this, but the club prefers to follow BTCB rules (with my recent test I'm more of a rebel <g>).

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also had a similar experience with Dan grading a few years back, and had to chase it up for what seemed like a very long time. In the end when I got my Kukkiwon Cert, the date it had on it was wrong - so I had a few extra month added on to my next grading date.

I wish the Kukkiwon could ammend grading dates, like they do other mistakes like typing errors on DOB, names, etc:angel:

The problem is the date on the certificate is the date they issued it, not the date you tested. If your recommender is slow getting it off to them, how is the Kukkiwon to know that you really graded that far back - all they can do with certainty is issue it on the date they processed it.

Regarding your Kukkiwon not being recondised and having to re-grade under the BTCB, my friend had the same pleasure. He did pass the BTCB grading with no problems, but he wasn't too happy about paying again for the Kukkiwon fee...because he already had a Kukkiwon certificate.

While I'm confident I'd pass (knee injury aside) I resent having to retest for something I already have, just to line pockets.

I thought the whole point of having a Kukkiwon cert. was the it was meant to almost a global standard in terms of Black Belt for the WTF sport.

Absolutely, the certificate I have is accepted in Korea and any Kukki-Taekwondo dojang in the country - except the BTCB offices.

I think belonging to a Group member of the BTCB maybe a better option if can find one near you. As they maybe a little bit more understanding and accepting of your Kukkiwon grade. As they sometimes offer a more personalised service I think.

For the moment I have no choice. If they don't want to recognise it, no big deal...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. I've told the student this, but the club prefers to follow BTCB rules (with my recent test I'm more of a rebel <g>).

I would submit that person from Spain's application directly. What does it matter if the BTCB doesn't recognize his Kukkiwon dan rank?

Latest Discussions