Electronic Hogu's in 2009!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This will be interesting! My observations at Nationals this year was that in order to register a point, the impact had to be pretty hard. I hope that as the electronic hogu becomes the standard that the prices come down!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes the point of impact needs to be more than tag, lets hope this will help for those competitors out there that never seem to get a point for some reason.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you notice that a solid punch scored?!?! I think this might bring about some very positive changes in scoring and tactics.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you notice that a solid punch scored?!?! I think this might bring about some very positive changes in scoring and tactics.

Yes but until they allow punching to the head, we will never be really appreciated.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would like to see the points based upon how hard the hit was. That way a good, solid, square on smack scores more than a glancing blow. The electronic system of scoring would also mean that you would not have to stop the fight when points are awarded. That would allow a more sustained approach to the fights instead of the hokey-cokey they do right now.

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great to see that it only scores solid hits, and I'm impressed that it can distinguish between a kick and a knee or elbow. I'd love to try one of those out!

Yes but until they allow punching to the head, we will never be really appreciated.
While I agree 100% with this (having done ITF in the past), I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with full-contact punching to the head. I'm not sure how this works in other sports / arts but I'm aware that with boxing there are some long-term negative effects?

igillman said:
That would allow a more sustained approach to the fights instead of the hokey-cokey they do right now.
I would definitley prefer this to the stop-start point scoring system. If the WTF truly wanted a great spectator sport this is the first change I would make.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great to see that it only scores solid hits, and I'm impressed that it can distinguish between a kick and a knee or elbow.

I'd say that a hit is a hit is a score and open up the rules set to allow techniques that hit..rather than worry about whether it's a knee or an elbow or an instep or a heel. It is a martial sport after all...

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd say that a hit is a hit is a score and open up the rules set to allow techniques that hit..
That would be the ideal situation, but I'm looking at it from a "1 step at a time" approach. I was commenting on the abilities of the hogu, rather than agreeing with the ruleset :).

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the hands issue, why not use them to the head we do when we have to fo SD, so why not in the ring as well. We can always use oversize gloves and better head gear.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, stupid question but why use hogus at all?

Consider this. Boxers train with head gear and other protective ways of not killing each other, but then fight without all that stuff. So do MMA fighters and such. Why does Tae Kwon Do fall into the areas of 'compete with body armor' (WTF rules) or 'compete without touching (point rules)

There are a lot of ways to 'train safe' and then 'compete hard'

I tend to think that hogus and pads and headgear an such could work well as part of the training regime to avoid certain kinds of injuries

I think if you got rid of all the padding, you would end up seeing fighters using tactics and techniques that would get away a lot of the types of things we complain about 'not being realistic'. I mean, yes, you always are going to have safety rules in any sport that makes it 'no realistic' but...good grief... olympic sparring is so far removed from any practicality with the tactics and techniques it encourages and allows.

Maybe a lot less 8 yo kids who treat TKD like a glorified dance/soccer/after school babysitter but a lot more recognition of TKD as a serious martial art with a serious sport component

Latest Discussions