Kukkiwon Certifications delayed

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have any of my fellow kukkiwon black belts had ridiculous waits for certificates? My 1st Dan certificate took 15-16 months to get, in fact I just got it Friday.

I remember a lot of you had this problem and the source was your own school, but I don't think my issue is with my instructor, I have far too much faith in him to entertain that possibility. In fact he took a trip to Korea to check on mine and a few others.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That sounds kinda strange. Mine was submitted in April and arrived in early July, so submitted after and arrived before.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing your KKW number for reference?

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just thought of something also.

In Canada, our KKW papers go through Taekwondo Canada, our NGB. It's an idiotic policy imho and just another way to exert control in the wrong areas, but anyway. I don't believe USAT or AAU does this although I could be wrong. Maybe my issue is with Taekwondo Canada.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definately have an issue somewhere. My last test was 11-5-2011. KKW processed it 12-20-2011.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe it's Taekwondo canada but I'm not sure. Some turmoil there lately, but it doesn't excuse a sport body from trying to control Dan grade in the first place. If they want control, they should issue their own like USAT. Won't say anything else as I'm not sure it's TKD canada quite yet. Either way, it won't stop me from stating my tested-for rank-I'm a KKW second Dan or at the very least an NL TKD 2nd Dan which is what matters to me the most.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's Taekwondo canada but I'm not sure. Some turmoil there lately, but it doesn't excuse a sport body from trying to control Dan grade in the first place. If they want control, they should issue their own like USAT. Won't say anything else as I'm not sure it's TKD canada quite yet. Either way, it won't stop me from stating my tested-for rank-I'm a KKW second Dan or at the very least an NL TKD 2nd Dan which is what matters to me the most.

The issue is going to hinge on the date your KKW rank was registered. The KKW TIG starts the day your rank is registered, not the day you test.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to give my instructor a call and see what he thinks. Like I said I trust he put it through in a timely manner.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
According to my instructor, it's some issue with the KKW's turn around time on Canadian certificates. Michelle Robb concurs. I don't think KKW watches time in grade, I think they'll issue any black belt that a master signs off on.

Ill be claiming it anyway, not my problem. ;)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We just put in my son's change from 3rd poom to 3rd Dan took one month...our Master submits directly to KKW.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to my instructor, it's some issue with the KKW's turn around time on Canadian certificates. Michelle Robb concurs. I don't think KKW watches time in grade, I think they'll issue any black belt that a master signs off on.

I believe the automated system does check this. I know they are concerned with TIG and won't issue certificates before the person is eligible (whether it's during electronic application or when processing I can't be sure).

I also can't imagine that the KKW has an issue with Canadian certificates. They may have issues with Taekwondo Canada (e.g. if they haven't paid their bill) but I can't imagine they will penalise a country :)

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have any of my fellow kukkiwon black belts had ridiculous waits for certificates? My 1st Dan certificate took 15-16 months to get, in fact I just got it Friday.

I remember a lot of you had this problem and the source was your own school, but I don't think my issue is with my instructor, I have far too much faith in him to entertain that possibility. In fact he took a trip to Korea to check on mine and a few others.

I wonder what the record is? I know that my daughter tested for 3rd dan the first week of Feb in 09 and her certificate was issued from KKW on Jan 20, 2011, just 2 weeks shy of 2 years. In her case it was 100% USAT eff'ing with her.

Eventually in mid December 2010 while I and the master that tested her (a very well regarded master at that within USAT were going back and forth with daily phone calls and e-mails between David Askinas, Becie Seals, RudelzieMae Lefotu and Penny Warren) her new coach submitted for her directly through the KKW website and it came through in just over 1 month.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My master submits direct to Kukkiwon, so I wonder if it's a middleman issue too. PM me if you still want my number, and I'll send it.

Carl

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor seems to think I should get it soon, along with my sister's 1st Dan, and TIG shouldn't matter. I'll go with that for now.

Thanks for your input all.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It might be because our master has a strong relationship with the KKW...but turn time is always 1 month!

The fact that hi is a KOM is a big help.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just thought of something also.

In Canada, our KKW papers go through Taekwondo Canada, our NGB. It's an idiotic policy imho and just another way to exert control in the wrong areas, but anyway.

Ethan, how much extra does WTF Canada charge? I saw their website indicated that they may charge an additional amount.

At the school I study, I was told that WTF Canada takes a lot longer than going to KKW directly.

It is interesting to note that if you look at the member clubs on their website, there is a whole lot of clubs NOT listed! I would guess a lot of clubs go to the KKW directly, regardless of WTF Canada's policy, and hence they are not registered with WTF Canada.

I'm an accountant, and noticed that the financials are less than healthy. (http://www.wtfcanada.com/eng/about/governance/financial-audits-and-management-letters/). For 2012, cash is $31,106, while account payable and accrued liabilities is $155,529. Note 1 of the statements says, "The Association had a significant net expenditure for the year. If the Association is not able to reduce expenditure or increase revenue significantly, it may not be able to continue as a going concern." That's not good!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I tested last October and got my certificate by the end of the year, but like others have said, my GM applies directly to Kukkiwon.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My last submittal for a 2nd Dan I just promoted took all of 3 weeks.

Latest Discussions