Kukkiwon Certifications delayed

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ethan, how much extra does WTF Canada charge? I saw their website indicated that they may charge an additional amount.

At the school I study, I was told that WTF Canada takes a lot longer than going to KKW directly.

It is interesting to note that if you look at the member clubs on their website, there is a whole lot of clubs NOT listed! I would guess a lot of clubs go to the KKW directly, regardless of WTF Canada's policy, and hence they are not registered with WTF Canada.

I'm an accountant, and noticed that the financials are less than healthy. (http://www.wtfcanada.com/eng/about/governance/financial-audits-and-management-letters/). For 2012, cash is $31,106, while account payable and accrued liabilities is $155,529. Note 1 of the statements says, "The Association had a significant net expenditure for the year. If the Association is not able to reduce expenditure or increase revenue significantly, it may not be able to continue as a going concern." That's not good!

Yeah there are lots not registered...I'm a big sport guy with coaching aspirations, so it behooves me to stay in good standing with Taekwondo Canada.

I'm not privy to all that much in Taekwondo Canada, but I will say that both Michelle Robb and Eva Havaris are exceptional people and we're fortunate to have them representing us at a national level. Michelle Robb lends the impression that Taekwondo Canada is on a major upswing, I am inclined to believe her, at the very least there's a lot going on, I have emails about Junior nationals and a poomsae training camp I got today.

My TC fees are somewhere less than $200 a year, for myself as a black belt and my own dojang. We've discussed what I paid for Dan grading before, if you remember, all my expenses were included in that so I really don't know what TC charges. I think it's relatively insignificant, they understand that nickel and diming taekwondoin is not in their best interests.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, Gwai Lo Dan, what I've been told concurs with you, applying through Taekwondo canada does take much longer, but a couple different sources have told me the issue is on the Korean side. I have no reason to doubt this.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, Gwai Lo Dan, what I've been told concurs with you, applying through Taekwondo canada does take much longer, but a couple different sources have told me the issue is on the Korean side. I have no reason to doubt this.

Out of interest, have you asked the Kukkiwon if they've received the application for your promotion? If so, have you asked them when it was received and when it will be processed?

I would go to the source. As I said, the only reason I could think that the Kukkiwon is delaying applications from a body is if they aren't paying the bills (and I think that's justifiable).

Normally it's because of not actually putting the applications through in a timely manner...

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
... We've discussed what I paid for Dan grading before, if you remember, all my expenses were included in that so I really don't know what TC charges. I think it's relatively insignificant, they understand that nickel and diming taekwondoin is not in their best interests.
Thanks. Yes, I wasn't asking about your fees, but instead, the amount TC charges to be the middle man. I asked one club why they don't go through TC, and they said they got ticked off at how long it took, so they go straight to KKW.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This might be a little bit of a side-tracking of the conversation, but what are the benefits of going through the national organization?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This might be a little bit of a side-tracking of the conversation, but what are the benefits of going through the national organization?

It means you support them financially. This helps them fund various programs including bringing over experts from the KKW for seminars, not to mention funding a national team as well.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On top of what dancing alone said, it's easier for athletes to have gone through Taekwondo canada because they don't need to prove their Dan rank.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I wasn't asking about your fees, but instead, the amount TC charges to be the middle man. I asked one club why they don't go through TC, and they said they got ticked off at how long it took, so they go straight to KKW.

I'll find out exactly how much they charge to process KKW certificates tomorrow.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of what dancing alone said, it's easier for athletes to have gone through Taekwondo canada because they don't need to prove their Dan rank.

I don't understand what you mean here. Anybody with KKW rank, regardless of what org they did or did not use to register it, is in the KKW online database. What's to prove?

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean here. Anybody with KKW rank, regardless of what org they did or did not use to register it, is in the KKW online database. What's to prove?

Dont have to provide it to Taekwondo canada for nationals, Toronto open, etc. Taekwondo Canada doesn't have access to the kukkiwon database. Plus I think it may be a "member in good standing" requirement.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont have to provide it to Taekwondo canada for nationals, Toronto open, etc. Taekwondo Canada doesn't have access to the kukkiwon database. Plus I think it may be a "member in good standing" requirement.

How can they not have access? Anybody can access the KKW database.

Taekwondo Canada doesn't own any computers?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can check the Kukkiwon website yourself to see if your rank has been processed. I tested over a year ago and still haven't received my certificate or ID card, but I know it's because my sabumnim hasn't picked it up and I'm not too worried about it. I checked the website and my information was updated shortly after my test. Of course, I tested at Kukkiwon so I would expect it to be updated relatively quickly.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I processed 5 apps on 3OCT and recieved the Certs at my front door today 1NOV. Less than 30 days.

If you go through an Org, Basically its the org who delay the processing, and hold them when they return. Too many hands slows it down.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How can they not have access? Anybody can access the KKW database.

Taekwondo Canada doesn't own any computers?

Worded wrong.

Taekwondo Canada's database has KKW black belts processed through them, not a database of all canadian KKW black belts. If you compete with any regularity it makes more sense to file through Taekwondo Canada.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Worded wrong.

Taekwondo Canada's database has KKW black belts processed through them, not a database of all canadian KKW black belts. If you compete with any regularity it makes more sense to file through Taekwondo Canada.

Given the (apparent, from what's been said here) lag registering through TKD Canada, I'd say it makes more sense to put your KKW card in your wallet or training bag and leave it there.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Given the (apparent, from what's been said here) lag registering through TKD Canada, I'd say it makes more sense to put your KKW card in your wallet or training bag and leave it there.

I'm not positive, but I think it's a requirement for the "member in good standing" status. Not having that makes a competitor's life difficult.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think it's a requirement for the "member in good standing" status. Not having that makes a competitor's life difficult.

Which goes back to 'just another way to take your money", sadly.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Which goes back to 'just another way to take your money", sadly.

Meh, I think the fee is $30 or something. I might have sent tkd canada $200 in the last 2 years, and that includes my dojang fees and a couple of students I paid yearly fees for because the $30 was more significant to them then it was for me.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I has taken 30 days to recieve the official registration on the KKW website for my last two Dan/Poom recomendations however it is now 14 days since the registration and I have not recieved the paper certificates yet I am hoping this next week but at least it is official and time in rank has started. Push comes to shove at least there is proof of rank on the site.

Latest Discussions