Kukkiwon Certifications delayed

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not positive, but I think it's a requirement for the "member in good standing" status. Not having that makes a competitor's life difficult.

Correct. For example see the bolded section below (from http://www.wtfcanada.com/eng/news/events/national-championships-policies-rules/):

National Championships – Policies & Rules

Nov 1, 2012 // by Michelle // Coaches, Events // Comments Off
National Competitions Policy
In order to be eligible to compete in the National Championships being held 9 to 13 January in Vancouver, BC (the “National Championship), a black belt athlete and their designated coaches must (consistent with the National Competitions Policy).
1. Duly register for the competition on or before the registration deadline published by Taekwondo Canada (the “Registration Deadline”); and
2. Have met the standards and/or credentials required by Taekwondo Canada including those:
a. published as part of the competition rules; and
b. for black belt coaches, the National Coaching Standards Policy.
National Championship Rules related to Registration and Credentials
The following requirements are part of the National Championship Rules related to registration and credentials requirements and deadlines.
1. In order to register, by the Registration Deadline, each athlete and coach must:
a. be a member in good standing with Taekwondo Canada; and

b. be a member in good standing with the Recognized Member Organization (RMO), which is the body that is recognized by Taekwondo Canada as representing athletes in the province, with the exception of the Canadian Forces.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It means you support them financially. This helps them fund various programs including bringing over experts from the KKW for seminars, not to mention funding a national team as well.

Thanks for the response. Supporting the national team is a good cause, but I'm not really interested in flying out somewhere to go to a seminar. I guess I was hoping that there might be something our dojang would get out of it. Sounds like we and our students would just be paying a bunch of extra money. Oh well.

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Once it is processed with the Kukkiwon, it is usually ready withing 30-40 days, any longer and its an issue with whoever you gave your application too. The new KMS (Kukkiwon Membership System) is designed to reduce the time even further to 15-25 days, once payment is submitted and application is verified.