kukiwon certification

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
But now that the KKW is holding more instructor courses & make it mandatory for certain levels if they wish to have their student's black belt applications processed, this will help.

Again, it is NOT mandatory for a Kukkiwon certified instructor living outside of Korea to possess the Instructor Qualification certificate to process Kukkiwon poom and dan. Please stop spreading misinformation regarding the Kukkiwon.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I kave a question for some of you at the qualifier Saturday I heard that the WTF was going to start issueing a sport TKD certifcate to seperate that aspect from the KKW. I knew they was going to issue a liscense but to issue just a BB certificate for OLympic sparring is new to me, anybody else hear this?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I kave a question for some of you at the qualifier Saturday I heard that the WTF was going to start issueing a sport TKD certifcate to seperate that aspect from the KKW. I knew they was going to issue a liscense but to issue just a BB certificate for OLympic sparring is new to me, anybody else hear this?
Terry, what dan black belt do you need to compete in sport tkd?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

The WTF issued a statement about this months ago. It isn't a sport certificate and it isn't a license and has nothing to do with any separation from the KKW. I don't know where you get this stuff. I think you have these things in your head and then you hear something and then try to force fit that with the stuff that is already in your head.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The WTF issued a statement about this months ago. It isn't a sport certificate and it isn't a license and has nothing to do with any separation from the KKW. I don't know where you get this stuff. I think you have these things in your head and then you hear something and then try to force fit that with the stuff that is already in your head.

no I am not force fitting anything, I am asking what was said this weekend. They said you will need a special liscense to compete in international events and that they was thinking about issueing a sport certificate. I know you are against this type of thing but please do not think that I am making things up. I only ask because they seem so sure about it? If you remain that this info is false great, all I can do is repeat what you have said here to them and listen to what they have to say.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
There was something about a new membership proposal for the WTF players. Not sure how this fits into the picture.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, it is NOT mandatory for a Kukkiwon certified instructor living outside of Korea to possess the Instructor Qualification certificate to process Kukkiwon poom and dan. Please stop spreading misinformation regarding the Kukkiwon.

Perhaps this is a semantics / terminology issue. Please enlighten the non KKW among us.

If you are a "Kukkiwon certified Instructor" what is the piece of paper (if any) called that reflects the certification?

I expect by the above post, that if such a piece of paper exists it is not called a "Instructor Qualification Certificate".

So, if there is such a thing as an "Instructor Qualification Certificate" issued by the KKW how is that different than A "KKW certified Instructor"?

Perhaps it is like the ITF system that considers 4th Dans instructors, but to process paperwork / sign off on Dan applications as instructor you must ahave a seperate Instructor certificate -pay dues etc.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who are They" who said these things?

Well I do not wish who said what at the qualifier without asking if it is OK to post that info on behalf of them. But lets just say here in the DFW area they are some of that special regime that try to control everything. They are Master and GM's that have been around for a longtime.

On a side note an article was published a few months ago talking about this liscense the WTF was going to give to all competitors competing in qualifing events, which I could remember where that was publish but I will find it and post it again, hell it is most likely on this site as well.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well this was just sent by Master Richard Sack, Head refereee chair for Texas and International refereee. I hope this helps.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 31, 2011 3:42:13 PM CST

To: [email protected]

Subject: WTF Taekwondo Newsletter

Reply-To: [email protected]

[FONT=verdana,arial]Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
[/FONT]​

January 31, 2011
WTF Newsletter - January 2011 Edition
This edition provides you with background information and news on the WTF activties and upcoming taekwondo events

WTF Taekwondo Web TV - a New Window of Opportunity

The WTF Taekwondo Web TV proves its potential as one of the fastest growing new media in sports .

The WTF Taekwondo Web TV (www.wtf-taekwondo.tv) was launched in 2008 as an ambitious initiative by the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) to take advantage of the latest new media technology in order to reach out to the worldwide taekwondo fans and realize the potential of this fast growing global sport.

For the first one and a half years since the project kicked off, continued efforts have been exerted to show the taekwondo new media known to the taekwondo and international sport community.
It was at the 2009 WTF World Taekwondo Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark that catalyzed the momentum for the WTF Web TV and put it on the map. The five days of competition attracted 300,000 visitors and recorded one million video streamings and two million page impressions. Since then,the trend has only been upwards.
The concept underlying this initiative is simple and clear - meeting the needs of different groups of stakeholders in the taekwondo community. When a competition is held, every single match falls on the focus of interest and attention of various groups of people: family and friends of athletes, people in the city or the country of medal winners and so on.
However, as in many other sports, traditional TV cannot cover all the matches of a tournament or all the tournaments of taekwondo, because TV is selective in choosing the competitions for coverage. It also tends to air only high-interest matches of a competition that it covers, for example, semifinals or finals. The WTF Taekwondo Web TV aims to serve the niche market by ensuring everyone has an easy and free access to all matches of as many taekwondo competitions as possible.
To this aim, the WTF developed WTF-Taekwondo Web TV in cooperation with Dartfish, a Swiss company leading in development of video solutions for the sport world and designed a unique system integrating the instant video replay system with Web TV. This solution allows producing videos in a cost effective way and using the videos generated by the instant video replay system to post them on the web.
In addition, as the system is compatible with all WTF-recognized Protector and Scoring System (PSS), it is easy to operate and enables automotive video production.
The WTF Taekwondo Web TV posts videos produced through this solution to the web and makes them open to the public free of charge. For viewer interface, keyword search function was added to allow viewers to easily find the videos that they want to watch. To make video-watching a more fun experience to viewers, a comment addition function was implemented.
In addition, it also offers free "easy video embedding" services to all the members of taekwondo family including athletes, clubs, and WTF member national associations. Anyone can select and embed videos that they want show and share with others on any website.
On top of these very useful functions, the web TV serves to distribute videos for coaching purposes. People can download videos and archive them on personal computers for review and analysis. This feature was developed to realize WTF's commitment to offering an equal opportunity for every athlete to learn and improve their performance, thus helping contribute to further development of the sport. The WTF-Taekwondo Web TV also offers educational materials for coaches and referees.
As a next step, the WTF sets an objective to evolve the WTF Taekwondo Web TV as a platform for revenue generation through advertising for the sake of the entire taekwondo community.
For this purpose, a series of plans will be implemented in various aspects. First, a greater number of video content will be produced and made available. In particular, 2011 is expected to be a jam-packed year with many important events, including the WTF World Taekwondo Championships in Gyeongju, Korea and world and continental qualification tournaments for the 2012 London Olympic Games.
In addition, there are major international taekwondo open competitions to be added. Furthermore, video content will be also more diversified to cover competition and non-competition aspects. It will also provide a value-added service for the members of the WTF Global Athlete License and Global Membership System.
Its track record speaks for itself. Considering this growth trend and the above objectives that are planned, it will become one of the fastest growing new media in sports, presenting great potential for revenue generation.

For further information or any inquiry, please contact us at [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]​

WTF Athletes License

WTF introduces Mandatory Global Athlete Licence for International Athletes.

Athletes competing in WTF-promoted championships will require a WTF Global Athlete Licence starting from the 2011 WTF World Taekwondo Championships scheduled for May 1-6 this year in Gyeongju, Korea.​

The license will be an important tool in gathering valuable information on WTF's top competing athletes that will aid in both the marketing of the sport and leading to a more efficient competition management process.
69.jpg
Sample - WTF Global Athlete License Card

All licensed athletes will receive a unique WTF ID number and license card which will be used to identify and verify the athlete at all WTF-promoted championships.

Key taekwondo data will be stored and accessible online through the unique WTF ID number that each athlete will have.

It is hoped that over time other important taekwondo data for each athlete can be linked to their unique ID number including competition results, WTF Rankings, competition videos, educational videos and much more.

Applications for a WTF Global Athlete Licence can only be submitted through the WTF Member National Associations.
It is planned that the WTF Global Athlete License will be phased into all WTF sanctioned tournaments over time but by no earlier than January 1, 2013.

For further information or any inquiry, please contact us at [email protected]

WTF Launches Global Membership System

There are an estimated 70 million taekwondo practitioners around the globe, making taekwondo one of the most practiced martial art sport in the world. The objective of the Global Membership System is to know better the practitioners around the world, establish an attractive communication with all of them and reinforce the image of taekwondo as a global sport. It is also to support their excellence in training and help to establish professional marketing plans. Every single member national association (MNA) should remain as it always has been a leading force to build up the practitioner's base. The WTF as the international sport-governing body wants to coordinate the efforts to efficiently implement a global membership program that should benefit all the MNAs, Continental Unions and ultimately the worldwide expansion of taekwondo.

The WTF GMS allows for the WTF member countries and their registered states/regions, dojangs (clubs) to manage up-to-the-minute membership information on their members. Each member's card will include a unique membership number that with internet access connects directly to the member's online real time profile in the WTF GMS. Every individual will receive a Global Membership Card issued by the WTF that shows the logos of the MNA, Continental Unions and WTF. Application form for Global Membership can be made only through member national associations of the WTF.

WTF is hoping to capitalize on this number by providing an all-in-one membership management system to its member national associations to manage their members starting from February 1st this year.
70.jpg
Sample - Global Membership Card WTF will officially launch the online system from February 1, 2011. Four Member National Associations, Bermuda, Bolivia, Egypt and Iran, will be the first group of MNAs to join the system from February 14, 2011 and it is expected that many more MNAs will join as they see the benefits from the Global Membership.

Thanks to the economy of scale by providing the system at a global level, the cost per annual individual membership to be covered by MNAs will be kept to a minimum low and will still allow WTF to reallocate the largest part of this amount to the development of the sport. Profit generated from the WTF GMS will go towards the development and growth of taekwondo around the world and will help to increase the level of competition amongst taekwondo participants by providing resources and opportunities to the developing nations that otherwise would not be able to compete in taekwondo events around the world. The WTF GMS funds will also support the development of ten (10) worldwide taekwondo centres aiming at helping taekwondo athletes worldwide level up their competing ability through training.

WTF has been working closely with HangAStar a specialized Sports IT and marketing management company in the development of the WTF GMS for the past 18 months and will officially launch the online system from February 14, 2011. The WTF GMS database system will be housed in HangAStar's state-of-the-art Data Centre in Minneapolis, USA under the highest level of security.

For further information or any inquiry, please contact us at [email protected]

World Taekwondo Federation
Headquarters
4F Joyang Building 113, Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul Korea
Email: [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected]
, Tel: +82 2 566 25 05

European Office
Avenue de Rhodanie 54, Lausanne, 1007
Email: [email protected], Tel: + 41 21 601 50 13

[/EMAIL]​

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At WTF events? so the same 8-10 people USAT carts around each year will have 1?

On another note, how much is this going to cost?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right, that is the program that they announced a little while back. Nothing to do with Kukkiwon or separation of martial art and sport. Remember?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right, that is the program that they announced a little while back. Nothing to do with Kukkiwon or separation of martial art and sport. Remember?

You said there was no liscense or certificates. This does seperate the KKW from the WTF, now you do not need a KKW to participate at WTF events just there liscense. Does this not make them seperate? You always needed a KKW to do certain WTF event and that is changing.

Beside if it does not seperate why have it? What good is it except for sport competition?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Beside if it does not seperate why have it? What good is it except for sport competition?

I don't know if license is the proper word for the use of that program, at least in the normal way that we use the term. To me, it sounds more like your Taekwondo social security number, where they can instantly identify you and your record. They swipe you in and they have all your information at their fingertips. I can see it being expanded to include International Referees and Coaches. I don't know if I like this system -- sounds too much like 1984 if you ask me. I am not a part of that WTF system, not an International Coach, IR or competitor, so it doesn't affect me personally.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if license is the proper word for the use of that program, at least in the normal way that we use the term. To me, it sounds more like your Taekwondo social security number, where they can instantly identify you and your record. They swipe you in and they have all your information at their fingertips. I can see it being expanded to include International Referees and Coaches. I don't know if I like this system -- sounds too much like 1984 if you ask me. I am not a part of that WTF system, not an International Coach, IR or competitor, so it doesn't affect me personally.

OK what about the WTF Global Membership system, why have this? Does this not effect the KKW? Why would anybody need a Global membership, I thought the KKW was a global membership?

I am trying to figure out why the WTF is making themself an seperate identity when they have always had the KKW for that sort of thing?

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You said there was no liscense or certificates. This does seperate the KKW from the WTF, now you do not need a KKW to participate at WTF events just there liscense. Does this not make them seperate? You always needed a KKW to do certain WTF event and that is changing.

If you go to the wtf website and look for the application for the card you will see it requires your KKW number.Proof of KKW for all applicants does not spell seperation.
You know of the point system set up by the wtf it is this card or athlete liscense that will be used as the id for that system and other things as well.You want to register at the tourney?,they will swipe your card and bang,there is your picture,your rank, etc.. welcome to the 21st century.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK what about the WTF Global Membership system, why have this? Does this not effect the KKW? Why would anybody need a Global membership, I thought the KKW was a global membership?

I am trying to figure out why the WTF is making themself an seperate identity when they have always had the KKW for that sort of thing?
Same idea as the athlete liscense only for all members,get this,it costs money and could be sold to millions of members! Imagine something coming from the wtf that is going to make them a ton of cash.....................

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

From what I've heard from my old colleagues at the Kenya Taekwondo Association this are basically international competition identity cards, which will cost Kenyans about $30 each. I think the term licence is misleading. A KTA person told me they think the WTF is also trying to reduce fraud, because some national teams from developing countries have been known to switch competitors around.

Latest Discussions