I am not many things about TKD

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well let's talk about me. Sometimes I just wonder if someday I would open my own dojang but quite frankly I have no TKD background, I don't have any trophies only around 5 or 6 medals of the past when I was a teen, I have not any single certification about seminars like the kukiwon or the Mexican federation of TKD, I have no diplomas about meeetings,seminars,etc, only my certification diploma as a 1st dan black belt from JiDo Kwan and my certification diploma as a 2nd dan black belt from my new dojang/organization (Hwarang Taekwondo), I've been a TKD practicioner all my life but without any recognizition at all.

In the other hand my sambonim has quite large acreditations nationally and internationally of many organizations on his office wall plus medlas and trophies, etc,etc.

So can I open a dojang without all the above mentioned? just me, my black belt and the few certifications I have? Will I have sucess because I wasn't a competitor?

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well let's talk about me. Sometimes I just wonder if someday I would open my own dojang but quite frankly I have no TKD background, I don't have any trophies only around 5 or 6 medals of the past when I was a teen, I have not any single certification about seminars like the kukiwon or the Mexican federation of TKD, I have no diplomas about meeetings,seminars,etc, only my certification diploma as a 1st dan black belt from JiDo Kwan and my certification diploma as a 2nd dan black belt from my new dojang/organization (Hwarang Taekwondo), I've been a TKD practicioner all my life but without any recognizition at all.

In the other hand my sambonim has quite large acreditations nationally and internationally of many organizations on his office wall plus medlas and trophies, etc,etc.

So can I open a dojang without all the above mentioned? just me, my black belt and the few certifications I have? Will I have sucess because I wasn't a competitor?

Manny

successful schools are not successful because the owner/instructor has alot of certs, was a world champion, or is famous. they are successful because of the quality of the instructor they are and their relationship with and ability to communicate with thier students.

so you have to ask your self, would you be a successful instructor?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Success in business is not always dependent on being a successful instructor. Success in business is, more often than not, directly tied to one's ability to network, sell, follow-up, and close.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Manny
All that doesnt matter.
Ive worked at a school where the owner didnt know TKD at all!!!
IDK if he even ever trained in any kinda art.
His school is very sucessfull and he has a lot of students.
Makin crazy money!

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Manny

What kind of success do you wish for? Monetary gain? To train World Champions? Just to have some skilled students? I don't believe you need medals and trophies for any of that, you just need to understand the art you're teaching and to be passionate about it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Manny, your posts have always given me the impression that you're not particularly interested in the sport of TKD, but rather in the art. If that is the case, why would you need a bunch of sporting certificates?
Your success as a teacher will depend on your ability to market your shool, and your ability to teach effectively. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Manny
Many arts have no competitive element. Most people don't compete anyway, so it really comes down to how much window dressing you think you need. Not to take away from accomplishments of those who compete or who are highly ranked, but as Carol said, those are not the things that make a school successful.

They also are not the things that make one a good instructor. Being able to reach your students and to help them achieve is what makes a good instructor.

As for your background, you certainly seem to have a TKD background to me.:)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion business acumen is the number one determinate of how successful a school will be. Get 2 tkdists, one has a thousand trophies and a thousand cettificates and the other guy is an average black belt with a brilliant business mind. The second guy will have a better chance of success in my opinion. If the second guy is clever he will find someone with all the 'credentials' to work for him as an instructor/advisor during the club's teething period.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, your posts have always given me the impression that you're not particularly interested in the sport of TKD, but rather in the art. If that is the case, why would you need a bunch of sporting certificates?
Your success as a teacher will depend on your ability to market your shool, and your ability to teach effectively. Nothing more, and nothing less.
Exactly, a bunch of certificates and trophies from "sporting competitions" can even be a turn off to a potential client who has no interest in learning the art from a sports perspective. A large proportion of our new students are people who have gone out of their way to seek out a "non-sport" tkd club, the last thing they care about is how many trophies my instructor has.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Many arts have no competitive element. Most people don't compete anyway, so it really comes down to how much window dressing you think you need. Not to take away from accomplishments of those who compete or who are highly ranked, but as Carol said, those are not the things that make a school successful.

They also are not the things that make one a good instructor. Being able to reach your students and to help them achieve is what makes a good instructor.

As for your background, you certainly seem to have a TKD background to me.:)
I agree. If I saw that an instructor had a great competition resume and I was interested in being a competitor, I might be more interested in finding out who the instructor's instructor was, or how the instructor's students performed in competition. A good competition record doesn't automatically translate to being a good teacher.

Tenchi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Neither my Master or the Instructor I first trained under had many sport achievements. In fact, I doubt they had any at all. Doesn't mean that the second wasn't able to make a Poomansae Nacional Champion dojang and the first to become the Nacional Poomsae Trainer for the Federation. Check football (soccer for americans) for instance. The great coaches were rarely great players.

In the end, what matters is how you see Taekwondo, how well you know it and experience it and how you transmit it to others, regardless if your purpouse is to attain sport achievements with your future students or just form great knowledgeble practitioners. Both are possible and at the same time.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny my friend first have you done a real business plan the costs number of paying students ect. Second teaching for money presents a whole new set of problems do you advance them in rank because you need to pay the bills do you put up with attitude you would normally correct because you need to pay the bills? students parents thinking you should do this or that in how you teach because they pay?

Consider teaching at a facility suplied to you for free you can still be paid hourly or even split fees by % but lowers your risk and stress until you get experience. Competitor has nothing to do with it. Write out a good mission statement of what and who you intend to teach age groups experience beginig intermediate advanced? You need to be able to give rank certification you can do that with a sponsor for a fee or somone who cares will help you for free. you need to get on the track to obtaining a masters certification under an organization that will issue bb certification on your recomendation that may take some time but with help from a sponsor you should be there in 5-7 years or less if your sponsor can say give you 2nd or 3rd Dan now by documenting time in rank and other issues the organization will take into consideration.

You are a good man I hope your safety issues have been resolved also remember owning a Dojang means you must be ready to defend your students safety at any time by anyone comming in the door or other situations are you ready for that?