Kosho Shorei Ryu

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Gotcha. thankyou for that answer. I am beginning to get a picture of Kosho as an art that allows for a lot of leeway and interpretation and inclusion."

There is much room for interpretation in the art of Kosho. That's why I like it. Hanshi Juchnik doesn't say things like, "this is the way it must be done." I think his favorite saying would be, "go play!"

With respect,
John Evans

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Is this the same stuff that's taught by Thomas Mitose?

i might be mistaken, and if there are any of his students on the board they can correct.
i believe his curriculum encompasses mostly the escaping arts. i read that he does a lot of drills that you would see in "what is true self defense?", and some that probably arent in there.

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know what Tom Mitose teaches. I've never met him nor seen any video footage of him.

With respect,
John Evans

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:
Hi Shawn,

I've been a student of Kosho for about 10-11 years now and can honestly say that I have never seen one of these student manuals. I've see (and own) the rank tapes, but I do not follow them. Where might one obtain copies of these manuals you speak of?

However, even though there are rank tapes and manuals... would you agree there is no real standard curriculum and/or rank promotion methodology?

Thanks.

With respect,
John Evans
Hi John

There are student manuals.
You can get them from Hanshi.
Hope this helps.
kk

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the manuals are pretty comprehensive.
each belt level requires kata, history (not just kempo related), terminology, display of knowledge.
it also includes requirements for learning shodo and understanding the basic concepts of shiatsu and the meridian system.

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kelly and Shawn,

Thank you for the info on the manuals.

With respect,
John Evans

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho-Monk said:
"Gotcha. thankyou for that answer. I am beginning to get a picture of Kosho as an art that allows for a lot of leeway and interpretation and inclusion."

There is much room for interpretation in the art of Kosho. That's why I like it. Hanshi Juchnik doesn't say things like, "this is the way it must be done." I think his favorite saying would be, "go play!"

With respect,
John Evans

I have to agree. Excellent seminar today Mr. Evans. That was my first taste of Kosho training and I have to say, although there were many techniques shown, they were different each time while the principles remained the same.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow- Great thread... I am not a student of Kosho but am enjoying this thread---

I am also interested in the similarities or differences between what Hanshi Juchnik and GM T.B. Mitose are teaching-

I was at a tournament a few years ago and a Kosho-Ryu gentleman did a kata that was pretty "hard" and linear- Does that sound like it was from Thomas Barros Mitose's side? He was there as was Sijo Emperado..

It was impressive...

Cheers!

James

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
"I have to agree. Excellent seminar today Mr. Evans. That was my first taste of Kosho training and I have to say, although there were many techniques shown, they were different each time while the principles remained the same."

Caruso Sensei,

Thanks! If one thing showed more than anything, I hope it was my love for the martial arts and sharing what I've learned.

I was extremely pleased with the turnout. And I must say that I was very happy you attended. Thank you for your support. Everyone I meet that is connected with the Aiki Kan Preservation Society turns out to be such a treasure. All of you are true examples of what martial artists should be.

Take care,
John

Ken

White Belt
Reaction score
There are good things and bad things in all martial arts, no one art is perfect. We as individuals must find the art that we find most comfortable studying. As my teacher used to say "If it works, it's good karate. If some one tries to knock your brains out with a pool cue in a bar, hit him with a stool. That is good self defence and karate is self defence"

Latest Discussions