Korean Masters from the 1960's and 1970's

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen GM Bobby Kim's movie the "Manchurian Avenger"? Sr. GM Sereff has a bit part as do lots of USTF guys. In one part they are doing an ITF pattern. Bill Wallace has a big role with few lines. When I was at one of his seminars I asked if he had troubel learning his lines for that part. He just grimaced.

I've seen it, but don't have a copy. I do have a copy of Kill Line though. Another fine example of the genre. :)

Norm Reno

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a 5th dan black belt in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, and I have been training under Kwan Jang Sok Ho Kang (Charleston, WV) since 1985. As a child I remember various Korean Masters coming to our test to grade us. Kyong Won Ahn (Moo Duk Kwan, Cincinatti, OH), Il Joo Kim (Song Moo Kwan, Akron, OH), Sang Oh Moon (Song Moo Kwan, Cleveland, OH), Chong Woong Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Huntington, WV), Ki Whang Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Washington, D.C.), Soon Ho Kim (Chung Do Kwan, Canton, OH).

I also remember those masters along with many others coming to our tournament (U.S. Open Martial Arts Championship), including Henry S. Cho (New York), Young Bo Kong and Young Il Kong (Oh Do Kwan, Philadelphia, PA), Chun Sik Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Pittsburgh, PA), Joon Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Columbus, OH), Young Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Indianapolis, IN), and I am sure I am leaving some out.. . I know over the years, politics and egos must have came to conflict, and we slowly began to withdraw from these inter-relations. I know some have passed away and some have retired, but I can vividly remember seeing these figures and traveling to their tournaments as a child/teenager.

I am curious if anyone on here has ever trained/heard of these pioneers of traditional taekwondo of the east coast, and if so if they know what has become of their schools.

충성!

Norm Reno

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm quite sure that they knew each other or at least of each other. Moon Ku Baek and his Brothers, Hong/Man/Kyung, were all MDK guys. They trained under GM Hwang Kee.
Choi sent him to Denver. He was a pioneer in 1968, teaching at rocky Mountain TKD and the Air Force Academy. He later brought his brothers over. He had successful schools in Cleveland until he sold them to concentrate on a sandwich shop business. Heard the quality went way down when he left. Ended up in san diego until his death in 1997.
Hi, my name Is Norm Reno - I am a 3rd Dan and trained under Grandmaster Tong Joo Choi (Song Moo Kwan) in Akron Ohio. During some of our Dan testing we would have visiting Grandmasters sit on testing boards. I remember testing under Il Joo Kim, Young Pyo Choi and Joon Pyo Choi all Son Moo Kwan - Tae Kwon Do Grandmasters.
Please let me know if you have any other info, or comments to add - I'd love to hear them!!

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a 5th dan black belt in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, and I have been training under Kwan Jang Sok Ho Kang (Charleston, WV) since 1985. As a child I remember various Korean Masters coming to our test to grade us. Kyong Won Ahn (Moo Duk Kwan, Cincinatti, OH), Il Joo Kim (Song Moo Kwan, Akron, OH), Sang Oh Moon (Song Moo Kwan, Cleveland, OH), Chong Woong Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Huntington, WV), Ki Whang Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Washington, D.C.), Soon Ho Kim (Chung Do Kwan, Canton, OH).

I also remember those masters along with many others coming to our tournament (U.S. Open Martial Arts Championship), including Henry S. Cho (New York), Young Bo Kong and Young Il Kong (Oh Do Kwan, Philadelphia, PA), Chun Sik Kim (Moo Duk Kwan, Pittsburgh, PA), Joon Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Columbus, OH), Young Pyo Choi (Song Moo Kwan, Indianapolis, IN), and I am sure I am leaving some out.. . I know over the years, politics and egos must have came to conflict, and we slowly began to withdraw from these inter-relations. I know some have passed away and some have retired, but I can vividly remember seeing these figures and traveling to their tournaments as a child/teenager.

I am curious if anyone on here has ever trained/heard of these pioneers of traditional taekwondo of the east coast, and if so if they know what has become of their schools.

충성!

Website below gives Information on all the US taekwondo grandmasters, nice resource
Hall of Fame
Awards to hall of fame started 2006 to today.
You should be able to find your grandmaster.
For example The 2006 Pioneer Award was presented to Grandmaster S. Henry Cho.
My teacher was presented the 2008 Pioneer Award.
Hall of Fame

Norm Reno

White Belt
Reaction score

충성!
Hi, my name Is Norm Reno - I am a 3rd Dan and trained under Grandmaster Tong Joo Choi (Song Moo Kwan) in Akron Ohio. During some of our Dan testing we would have visiting Grandmasters sit on testing boards. I remember testing under Il Joo Kim, Young Pyo Choi and Joon Pyo Choi all Song Moo Kwan - Tae Kwon Do Grandmasters.
Grandmaster TC Choi passed away in 2017. Before his passing he informed me that GM Il Joo Kim had moved back to Korea. Growing up in southeastern Michigan and training in the Akron / Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio area I got to interact with some very talented and influential TKD/SMK Grandmasters.
Please let me know if you have any other info, or comments to add - I'd love to hear them!!

Bo_Howell

White Belt
Reaction score

충성!
I'm currently a student under some of Grandmaster Ahn Kyong Won's masters. Specifically, I train under Master Charles Beyersdoerfer (7th Dan) and Steven Radcliffe (5th Dan) in both Hapkido and Taekwondo. Grandmaster Ahn is visiting our school this month (October 2021). He is retired but his "sons" continue his tradition, including Grandmaster Robert K. Fujimura, Grandmaster Ronnie Hickey, and Master Beyersdoerfer. They continue to teach both Kukkiwon Tae Kwon Do and Moo Do Kwan Tang Soo Do (e.g., Pyong Ahn forms).

I'm happy to connect with you and see about an interschool visit.

Also, I'm doing research on our Moo Do Kwon lineage and would love information on any of the following people: Hwang Kee, Hong Chung Soo, Lee Bok Sung, and Ahn Kyong Won.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm currently a student under some of Grandmaster Ahn Kyong Won's masters. Specifically, I train under Master Charles Beyersdoerfer (7th Dan) and Steven Radcliffe (5th Dan) in both Hapkido and Taekwondo. Grandmaster Ahn is visiting our school this month (October 2021). He is retired but his "sons" continue his tradition, including Grandmaster Robert K. Fujimura, Grandmaster Ronnie Hickey, and Master Beyersdoerfer. They continue to teach both Kukkiwon Tae Kwon Do and Moo Do Kwan Tang Soo Do (e.g., Pyong Ahn forms).

I'm happy to connect with you and see about an interschool visit.

Also, I'm doing research on our Moo Do Kwon lineage and would love information on any of the following people: Hwang Kee, Hong Chung Soo, Lee Bok Sung, and Ahn Kyong Won.

I have fond memories of all of those gentlemen. Back in the 80's and 90's our circles crossed frequently. I'm located in Marietta, OH. As soon as this pandemic starts to slow back down, I'd love to do some more martial arts focused travelling again!

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A name I have not seen in this thread, but who I believe served/studied under the General, is GM Chung Eun Kim. He founded my school in Bettendorf, IA in the 70’s, which is now led by GM Bill Richardson.

Rick Sensei

White Belt
Reaction score

충성!
I started my training with Sang Oh Moon back in the 1970's before changing to Goju-Ryu and Judo. Unfortunately, Master Moon just passed away last May. Sang Moon | Forest City Crematory | Clevaland, OH

Latest Discussions