kip ups

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. The first part of a Kip up is a basic position in which to Kick, or do some other maneuver, but the Kip up itself against a standing opponent, you can usually rely on your head eating a round house kick. LOL
sean

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I find them easy to do if I:

Use my hands to push up and use my hips to drive myself up.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes the hands are not nessecary, but that is the easy way and the way to build up to doing it with no hands. I mean u learn to ride a bike with your hands on the handle bars first then some move to unicycles and riding regular bikes with no hands. Same here.
As far as telegraphing the kip up, that was already covered a kip up is not ideal for a fight. And I assume the op is not just going around getting into fights. It was about the kip up only not its obvious ineffectivity in combat.
To the op, try getting the kip up using your hands first then work towards no hands.
As a former gymnast and gymnastics teacher, tenzen has the right advice. Start off using the hands on the ground behind the head and later use them to push on the thighs. However, before you get to that last stage you need to be able to thrust the hips forward. Roll back with straight legs until your roll naturally stops and you're rolling forward. As your legs are a little past the vertical, push with the hands, thrust the hips forward and arch the back.

Starting out, it helps to have one or two people beside you holding your belt and helping to lift you through the movement, until you get your timing right. Then they can gradually reduce the amount of help until you can do it by yourself. The 'secret' is in the hip thrust.

Once you can do it by yourself, pushing with the hands behind the head, try bringing the hands down onto the thighs. Here you push with the hands at the moment you launch the hips.

Final stage is to stop using the hands completely and you are just using the combination of roll and hip thrust.

It is the weight of the pelvis that pulls you up. If you don't keep the hips forward, you'll sit down on your ****.

Good luck. :asian:

OP
S

SouthPaw

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for that!!! Good stuff, great stuff. I am working legs today but I am inspired to try this... will post see if I improve any.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is interesting, I think.

[yt]bQ5H9Z3OwEs[/yt]

Latest Discussions