Reaction score
What’s the worst kick for causing damage to the hips, would it be side kick

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What’s the worst kick for causing damage to the hips, would it be side kick
I'm not sure, but probably if it's done in large numbers, done at full strength and done hitting nothing but.
The biggest part of that problem, in my opinion, is that the longer and harder you train you start kicking even stronger and faster than you did.....

Which makes you want to throw even more of them.....all stronger and harder. Things can wear out.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of these kicks can be harder to do when you get older. The day when you can hear that your hip joint start to make some noise, you may have to stop of doing it. Don't wait until you have to replace your hip joint.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean the worst kick that if you execute this kick over and over again, you're going to end up with a hip injury? Or the kick that if you hit someone in the hip, they're most likely going to be injured?

If it's the first, I would say side kicks or hook kicks, based on my experience and what I've seen. However, it's not the hip as much as it is the groin that gets pulled on those kicks.

If it's the latter, I would say the hip is probably not very likely to get injured from a kick. If it was, probably a roundhouse kick or a back kick would do the most damage.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you mean the worst kick that if you execute this kick over and over again, you're going to end up with a hip injury? Or the kick that if you hit someone in the hip, they're most likely going to be injured?

If it's the first, I would say side kicks or hook kicks, based on my experience and what I've seen. However, it's not the hip as much as it is the groin that gets pulled on those kicks.

If it's the latter, I would say the hip is probably not very likely to get injured from a kick. If it was, probably a roundhouse kick or a back kick would do the most damage.
First one

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score

my tad kids got growing pains in the hips, front,turning and back kick seem to be ok but for some reason side is a killer was just wondering if that’s cause of all the hip rotation

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my tad kids got growing pains in the hips, front,turning and back kick seem to be ok but for some reason side is a killer was just wondering if that’s cause of all the hip rotation
Gonna guess its ITF Taekwondo? (From the specific words you're using to describe the kicks).

If it was the rotation, I'd guess that the turning kick would be the culprit. If I had three guesses, they would be:
  1. If the pain is on the hip adductor (the muscle on the inside of your thigh that squeezes your legs closed), then it's probably that your kid is kicking beyond their flexibility or kicking beyond what they're stretched out for. I've injured myself here kicking too high when I wasn't warmed up, as have about a dozen folks I've trained with.
  2. The kid is making a mistake in the way they're doing the side kick, which is causing the pain. This should be something your kid's instructors can help with. If anything, my completely wild guess is that your kid is underrotating the side kick, and is kicking in a weird way instead of the way the body is meant to kick.
  3. There's something about your kid's anatomy that is uniquely susceptible to pain when extending the leg to the side. This might be more a question for your doctor, but your kid's teachers can also probably help find a way of doing the kick that won't hurt.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gonna guess its ITF Taekwondo? (From the specific words you're using to describe the kicks).

If it was the rotation, I'd guess that the turning kick would be the culprit. If I had three guesses, they would be:
  1. If the pain is on the hip adductor (the muscle on the inside of your thigh that squeezes your legs closed), then it's probably that your kid is kicking beyond their flexibility or kicking beyond what they're stretched out for. I've injured myself here kicking too high when I wasn't warmed up, as have about a dozen folks I've trained with.
  2. The kid is making a mistake in the way they're doing the side kick, which is causing the pain. This should be something your kid's instructors can help with. If anything, my completely wild guess is that your kid is underrotating the side kick, and is kicking in a weird way instead of the way the body is meant to kick.
  3. There's something about your kid's anatomy that is uniquely susceptible to pain when extending the leg to the side. This might be more a question for your doctor, but your kid's teachers can also probably help find a way of doing the kick that won't hurt.
Interesting I will look closely at the way she does her sidekick, thanks

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, there are no kicks that are hard on the hips (barring what Scribs said about structure/medical issues).
The problems and injuries come from incorrect performance due to human error. The perfect technical execution of any of the standard kicks should not be painful or dangerous to any joints. (Of course, I say this as someone who, after 25 years of training, tore his ACL in Sept... due to human error in technique). We do our best, but mistakes happen.

The best thing that anyone can do is devote their attention to understanding the mechanics of how the kicks (or any moves for that matter) are supposed to be executed. If a hip is being injured while doing standard kicks (front, side, back, turning, or their jumping equivalents) it is usually poor posture or hip alignment. This causes the wrong muscles and ligaments to do work they are not designed for... leading to injury. If you're looking to protect your child from any such injury, keep redirecting them to listen to and practice the things their instructor keeps nagging them about (twist the supporting foot ALL the way, don't let your butt stick out - bending forward at the waist, ect).

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, there are no kicks that are hard on the hips (barring what Scribs said about structure/medical issues).
The problems and injuries come from incorrect performance due to human error. The perfect technical execution of any of the standard kicks should not be painful or dangerous to any joints. (Of course, I say this as someone who, after 25 years of training, tore his ACL in Sept... due to human error in technique). We do our best, but mistakes happen.

The best thing that anyone can do is devote their attention to understanding the mechanics of how the kicks (or any moves for that matter) are supposed to be executed. If a hip is being injured while doing standard kicks (front, side, back, turning, or their jumping equivalents) it is usually poor posture or hip alignment. This causes the wrong muscles and ligaments to do work they are not designed for... leading to injury. If you're looking to protect your child from any such injury, keep redirecting them to listen to and practice the things their instructor keeps nagging them about (twist the supporting foot ALL the way, don't let your butt stick out - bending forward at the waist, ect).
good info thanks

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score

Just went through her kicks, with exception of hook and side they are fine but not if kicking from the back foot, do you think it’s more involved in the hip when doing a turning kick etc from the back foot

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just went through her kicks, with exception of hook and side they are fine but not if kicking from the back foot, do you think it’s more involved in the hip when doing a turning kick etc from the back foot
Dude, I was just throwing out some guesses. Her instructors are going to see her doing the kicks and be able to help.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of these kicks can be harder to do when you get older. The day when you can hear that your hip joint start to make some noise, you may have to stop of doing it. Don't wait until you have to replace your hip joint.

I have been doing all those and more for over 25 years. I do not have problems from them yet. I hope to get 25 more years before I have trouble.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been doing all those and more for over 25 years. I do not have problems from them yet. I hope to get 25 more years before I have trouble.
When I lock my knee and swing my leg over my head, I can hear the noise that bone scratch on bone. I have stopped doing that since last year (at least I try not to swing my leg too high).

At 10.33 - 11.33.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No need to get yer knickers in a twist, chill
It was a mistake for me to have thrown out some ideas in the first place. Just like it was a mistake for you to make this post in the first place. People who actually know your daughter and have the requisite knowledge to help diagnose the problem (whether it's her coaches diagnosing a problem with her technique or her doctor's diagnosing a problem with her hip) are going to be able to help.

We on this forum aren't going to be able to, for a number of reasons. It's going to be even harder if what little we can offer in this situation is being filtered through another person before that help gets to her.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was a mistake for me to have thrown out some ideas in the first place. Just like it was a mistake for you to make this post in the first place. People who actually know your daughter and have the requisite knowledge to help diagnose the problem (whether it's her coaches diagnosing a problem with her technique or her doctor's diagnosing a problem with her hip) are going to be able to help.

We on this forum aren't going to be able to, for a number of reasons. It's going to be even harder if what little we can offer in this situation is being filtered through another person before that help gets to her.
Fair enough bro, appreciate your input anyway

Latest Discussions