Which kick is a better stopping weapon.

Soldier

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with this for a while. So here is the question.
If you had fast feet and you wanted to throw a defensive kick. What would it be. For a long time I use to throw a defensive side kick. Lately I been trying a thrust front kick.
The advantage of the side kick is that it gets me farther away from the opponent. It is stronger, it hurts more, it can turn easy into the roundhouse, hook kick or ex kick with the same leg.
On the other hand for the front kick, I don't have to turn away and pivot hips. And I can have a swift punching follow up.

What do you guys think?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fade away back kick. gets your head away, moves your body back. Works off the "natural flexibilty" of your hips. Downfall you do turn your back on the guy-so if you mis time it-eek

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it depends on which one you practice more, which one you are more comfortable with, and what you are trying to accomplish. I've used both in sparring. I'm quicker off the draw with the front kick but I practice my sidekicks in general a *lot* more. So....

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen a spin back kick used for a stop as well. Especially against a kick-attack. It's more of a direct line kick than a roundhouse so if you are quick with it, you can get your foot to their chest as they turn into their kick, robbing them of any power and stopping their rotation

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm partial to a front kick myself. I'm much faster with it than a side kick, can maintain a ready stance and still produce plenty of stopping power. My second choice in a fade away axe kick. Pretty unorthidox, but it works well for me. My third choice is a jumping back kick. I get above average height, which give me a long look at where I want to strike with it. It also keeps my body out of harms way, yet produces plenty of power.

The side kick is the preference of almost everyone else I know.

Regards,

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My second choice in a fade away axe kick.

I've seen that one as well. I don't have enough confidence in my ability to do it yet to really try it against an opponent so...I don't use it yet.

My third choice is a jumping back kick

Another one I've drilled in but don't think I've tried against an opponent. I think I've had it used against me though :)

The side kick is the preference of almost everyone else I know.

I prefer the sidekick over the front kick because it's easier to turn it into a counter-strike, for me. A front-side sidekick to stop swings into a spin back kick or spin sidekick as a counter-strike. The front kick tends to return you to a sorta neutral position. You could launch an attack from there, but it doesn't seem to flow as quickly...but that's just my limited experience

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too used to use the side kick for this but have gravitated to a front push-kick, sort of Muay Thai style. It sets up my hands better and I feel less vulnerable when it fails.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I agre with arnaster a front kick allows me to use my hands faster, but a sidekick will deliver more power if thrown right.

Terry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorta begs the question of 'stopping what?'. A front side sidekick coupled with arms blocks to guard the target areas is great against a reverse kick of any kind. Against a heavier opponent lunging in for fist strikes...maybe not as effective and in that case a front shove kick or push kick would be a better choice

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no one best kick for all. Some have front kicks as their best, others have better side kicks, still other prefer the back kick, etc. Whichever is the best for you is the one that you feel most comfortable throwing, and is appropriate for the situation.

For example, my "best stopping kick" against a hard charging opponent who isn't trained in the martial arts, might be a simple advance in an oblique angle followed by a quick sweep. Other times, a delayed sweep against a high kicker may be the best. If someone has a tight defense, but doesn't move well, then I may consider a strong thrusting front or side kick.

I considered my roundhouse kicks to be my worst stopping weapons for a while, since I was nursing a strained hip flexor. I wasn't able to recover too quickly from such a kick, and had relegated it to a "just to keep them honest" technique. During that time, it's no surprise that my front kicks and sweeps suddenly became better stopping weapons...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
front heel kick to the shins/leg can be good to stop someone who is advancing. also can stop them from throwing a kick at you. A lot of it depends on the situation, and which techniques you are most comfortable with. Many different ones may do the trick, I dont think you can say "this one is the best". It may be the best for the situation, or for you, or for you in a particular situation.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
front heel kick to the shins/leg can be good to stop someone who is advancing

In that case I would definitely favor a sidekick (using blade edge of the foot) because I like having the foot sidewards against the shin. I may be misunderstanding the kick you are mentioning but I don't like trying to strike with the round heel agianst a round target like a shin bone. Turning the foot over gives a better striking surface, imho

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW just to try to keep some thoughts clear, here are my understandings of certain kicks.

Front(snap) kick - Knee comes up to point at target, foot snaps forward, strike with ball of foot. Penetrating kick without much moving power (because the strike weapon is swinging at the knee and does not have moving body mass behind it...unless you lunge into the kick)

Push kick- Knee comes up to chest, then pushes out into target. Strike with ball of foot. More moving power then snap kick as you are driving with the larger leg muscles

Shove kick - Same as push kick but angle foot back to strike with heel.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Front thrust kick for sure. But it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will depend on how you fight. Do you face your opponent head on? Turned sideways? If you face head on, a front kick or the axe kick might be more expedient. If you're turned sideways, the side kick, back kick, or a spinning or jumping back kick might work better.

For me, I'm right handed, but I usually fight as a southpaw, and I turn my body just slightly, so I'm not facing head on, but I'm not turned either. One, people don't like it. Two, it keeps my strongest weapons closest to my opponent, which I want, because althought I have good speed, especially for a guy my size, I'm not exactly greased lightining.

To stop an opponent advancing on me or to preempt an attack I see them beginning to initiate I will usually throw a lead leg (right) sidekick aimed directly at their closet hip. It's also called a cut kick, it doesn't chamber like a normal thrusting or snapping sidekick. It's a bit difficult to explain, but if you can target your opponent's hips you'll stop them dead in their tracks everytime and for me it's a knockdown almost everytime.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just another thought but based on the definitions of kicks I posted, a snap kick is very fast to throw, but has less stopping power than a push kick or shove kick. A push kick is a little slower because you have to chamber the knee up to your chest, or at least toward it, to push out powerfullly, but it has more stopping power/moving power than a snap kick. I would use a snap kick agianst somecoming with a rear side technique from a stationary position, but would be less likely to try it if my opponent was moving toward me, especially if they were heavier than I.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
front heel kick to the shins/leg can be good to stop someone who is advancing

In that case I would definitely favor a sidekick (using blade edge of the foot) because I like having the foot sidewards against the shin. I may be misunderstanding the kick you are mentioning but I don't like trying to strike with the round heel agianst a round target like a shin bone. Turning the foot over gives a better striking surface, imho
You can throw it as a front heel kick, but turn the foot to an oblique angle (the toes are pointed somewhat to the outside) so that the foot contacts the shin crosswise.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

You can throw it as a front heel kick, but turn the foot to an oblique angle (the toes are pointed somewhat to the outside) so that the foot contacts the shin crosswise.

Ahh..that's close to what we call a 'shovel kick'. Pick the foot up and forward, turn the toes out, and push forward. Very effective from close range against the tops of knees

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For my own personal use I use the straight away heel/wheel/hook/whip kick, by whichever name you want to use. I have also had good success with side kick. My usage depends alot on the situation and what I am trying to get done. If on the street I go with knees, front riing kick or roundhouse. All of which I aim groin or down.

Latest Discussions