Turning Back Kick Question

F

fringe_dweller

Howdy all,

Quick question for you. Noticing that when I'm doing a turning back kick that my hips tend to keep rotating and hence I end up with my hips more in the position they would be for a side kick with the knee pointed more parallel to the ground than perpindicular to it. Has anyone else encountered or overcome this and want to give me some tips as to what I may be doing wrong? Am I trying to spin too quickly, put too much power into the kick?

Thanks for your help!

PS I am doing this movement slowly each night to try and get the correct movement but to date it's not working....

OP
J

Jill666

If you are in a side horse stance, try practicing a step with the standing foot so your back is to the target, then kicking straight back, and placing the foot down. You are already trying to walk through the motions, do this slowly, use a chair for balance, don't try the speed until you have it.

I suspect you are looking over your shoulder as you kick at the target (real or imaginary) like a good karateka, but this may be causing the hip rotation you speak of. See if this is the case. Your looking may be exaggerated, causing you to move your torso and by extension your hips.

I hope this helps!

OP
F

fissure

Concentrate on the shoulder of your kicking leg. If you focus on keeping your shoulders square to the target, your hips will have to follow suite - unless you're REALLY flexible!

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The FIRST key is turning the lead/posting legs heel directly TOWARD the target, while rotating on the ball of the foot, and KEEP it in that position until contact or full kick extension is made. With your base foots toes pointed away from the target, you will have more command of your balance when leaning back and it will ensure that the posted legs hamstring assists the kicking legs adductor muscles without overstressing your groin muscles. The SECOND key is KEEP the kicking legs knee pointed DOWN toward the floor throughout the kick. Your knees should almost BRUSH as the kicking knee passes the posted knee. This sets up a vertical pendulum like motion that delivers the energy in a more LINEAR fashion as the kicking leg unchambers. The spin heel kick, or spinning hook, calls for the knee to point out towards the side and it relies on lateral centrifugal force. Getting these two knee positions mixed up is the most common problem when controlling balance and directional force. The THIRD key is use your kicking sides PERIPHERAL view from that eye w/o turning your nose toward the target as you rotate your head and shoulders. An example is using the right eye primarily when turning to kick with the right leg. This helps keep the shoulders from overrotating and bringing your chest/abdomen around too far. The FIRST AND THIRD KEYS are done simultaneously a split second before enacting the SECOND KEY. An added point that is crucial is keeping your hands AND elbows close to the body throughout the motion. You want the rotational forces to take a backseat to the pendulum effect. I can execute a spin backick to full extension and stop with the kick fully extended, without putting my leg down or rechambering, and hold that position for one minute. I use this as an exercise to build balance and check to see if my other body parts are not in position and pulling me off balance. I also do an exercise called the hallway or gauntlet using the spin backick. Take some Wavemaster bags or chairs and make a narrow passage between them. Practice doing the spin backick while walking between them w/o hitting or brushing either side. A nice long row of bags or chairs makes for an interesting drill. You will know right away if your knee is out of position. :) When you feel comfortable incorporating the above mentioned focal points, you will notice a dramatic improvement in speed of delivery as well.

Hope this helps,
white belt

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Thanks for some great posts... noticed that I do tend to exaggerate the targeting (ie looking over my shoulder).
Hopefully I can get this one sorted out - soon (within the next ten years...)I'll have a decent turning back.

Respectfully

Latest Discussions